Tips for reducing swollen legs

minijenny

always dreaming
I'm leaving for DW in 5 days and I'm pregnant for the first time. I'm super excited about it, but I'm starting to have issues standing for even short periods of times (i.e., 15+ min.) because my legs and feet feel so swollen. I normally don't have any problems walking around the parks for hours or standing in line, but I'm concerned about this trip now. Any ideas for tricks to help circulation while standing in line without bothering people around me? I usually avoid lines longer than 25-30 mins anyways. Thanks!

How about compression stockings? I wore them at work for the last half of my second pregnancy (I have a pretty active job and am on my feet much of the day) - my legs felt great even at the end of the day :)

Water therapy, find a pool that you can walk. You can also stand at the side and do leg lifts. I lived in the south while pregnant. It was great to cool off plus was good for the circulation. My doctor recommended it, but also warned make sure that the water is not too warm.

I have an inflatable foot bath that I bring to WDW. It won't keep my feet from swelling, but soaking them in cold water back in the room sure does make them feel better;)

Massages.

Try going to Target or Walmart and check in the cosmetic section. You should see the loofahs and bath beads and stuff like that. Grab a cheap massage tool. I have one that looks kinda of like a paint roller, but has soft nubbies on it. It seems to perks up circulation. Really anything like that will work, even if it's just a normal massage, gets all the blood and fluids moving around.

I can remember walking in the heat at Disney while I was pregnant, by the end of the day my ankles and feet were sooo swollen. I would just try and sit as much as I could and elevated my feet on pillows at the resort. Sorry it's not much help. You will be so excited to be there - being pregant won't slow you down too much. Have fun!

I agree with the water therapy and discussing this with your doctor. Water retention can be a sign of pre-eclampsia. You really don't want to be at Disney walking and standing in lines if you have preeclampsia starting.

If you submerge yourself in water (swimming pool) up to neck level for 30 minutes to an hour it will help your body to release the extra water.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! DH and I typically swim every afternoon and sometimes again in the evenings, so I will do what I can to relieve the swelling that way. I also have a doctor's appt tomorrow, so I'll discuss the issue with her.

My legs were often extremely swollen during pregnancy and my doctor needed to remind me to lay off the salty foods. Its not something that you're thinking about when you have those cravings, but it actually did help reduce the swelling. I'm sure that park food is loaded with sodium!

Remember not to cut salt out completely though. Obviously you don't want to be excessive with it but you'll likely be sweating more than usual and losing sodium through that. Gotta keep those electrolytes in balance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter