Tips for pick a pearl?

From what I have gathered reading another thread, is recently the employees have been rude and only want to show the most expensive settings. It seems those who went a while ago loved their experience. Since the other stores are run by the same company The Pearl Factory (not the one in Epcot), I wonder if there was a change in management.

Ohhh, makes sense. The girl did show me a few expensive settings, but as soon as I said I wanted the cheapest they had available she gave me what I asked for without being rude. I wasn't sure what setting I wanted so I got something very basic so I can decide at a later point.

From what I have gathered reading another thread, is recently the employees have been rude and only want to show the most expensive settings. It seems those who went a while ago loved their experience. Since the other stores are run by the same company The Pearl Factory (not the one in Epcot), I wonder if there was a change in management.

In my case, it went far beyond this....it went to the PF VP and to Disney corporate. Disney has limited control as this is an outside vendor who leases but what happened to me should never happen to anyone. If I hadn't lived it I wouldn't have believed it myself and I will never, ever, ever endorse anyone shopping with this company.

In my case, it went far beyond this....it went to the PF VP and to Disney corporate. Disney has limited control as this is an outside vendor who leases but what happened to me should never happen to anyone. If I hadn't lived it I wouldn't have believed it myself and I will never, ever, ever endorse anyone shopping with this company.

Wow! You have me really curious now! Can you send me a pm about what happened?

I picked a nice pink pearl in Japan a week ago. Found a pretty SS brooch that I will definitely wear to work. It was fun.

Thanks to you all, I got twins in October! Haha! I picked a really ugly, hairy one! Surprise!

My daughter got an 8mm one at Epcot last time we were there. We have also really enjoyed doing pick a pearl at Seaworld. We are doing Seaworld and Disney this Christmas, and will probably get a pearl at each place, though we enjoy the ceremony at Seaworld the most.

In September at Epcot, I got 6.5 mm twins that had a pinkish tint:) I picked the ugliest, hairiest one I could find! I just got a simple ring setting for one and kept the other pearl to set on our next trip for my girls. I love the whole experience there:) pearl picking was $15 I think and my ring setting was about $29.

I've done this on every trip my husband and I have been on! It started when we were just dating. This past trip I picked the biggest oyster I could find and I got twins! My sister picked one (not sure what her method was) but she got an 8mm pearl - it was huge! I think she's going to have it set. My twins are going to be set as earrings and my others from past trips will probably be made into a necklace that I can keep adding to.

One of the to-do things on my trip. My pearl fell off my ring in Vegas in September, so I want to replace it. I am evidently hard on jewelry........ I could have replaced it at the pearl shop in Flamingo but I wanted to wait until we could go back to the Japan pavillion!

One of the to-do things on my trip. My pearl fell off my ring in Vegas in September, so I want to replace it. I am evidently hard on jewelry........ I could have replaced it at the pearl shop in Flamingo but I wanted to wait until we could go back to the Japan pavillion!

was that a fluke that the pearl came out of the setting?

i only ask because i plan to do the pearl/oyster and buy the setting there on my next trip.

I picked my pearl tonight at DTD and got a blue one!! My daughter got a white one and SIL got a creamy one.. They didn't give us a size tho..

This is the first year I did this. We went straight to Japan in EPCOT. I had my daughter and son pick the oyster. I told them the ugliest usually have the best pearl. My daughter picked a silver/grey 7.5 mm and my son picked a white with a slight pink tint 6.75 mm. I set them in a ring. By far my most memorable souvenier.

I've done this a few times and have been pretty lucky. I have to agree that the hairiest and ugliest looking ones are the ones you want. I've picked an 8mm and two sets of twins, one set was 6.5 and 6mm and the other was 7.0mm identical twins. Its a little ironic as I'm a twin myself :rotfl: I'm still trying to get a colored one, particularly a black one.

I chose a really hairy shell..not too large but quite ugly. I got a 7.5mm silver pearl. Is that considered a black pearl? The girl at the counter said it was a lucky pearl and people don't get them that often. Wasn't sure if that was true or if they say that about all the pearls.

I chose a really hairy shell..not too large but quite ugly. I got a 7.5mm silver pearl. Is that considered a black pearl? The girl at the counter said it was a lucky pearl and people don't get them that often. Wasn't sure if that was true or if they say that about all the pearls.

Colored pearls are less common, obviously, than white and it goes from there.
Colors generally range from cream, to silver-white (most common), to black (most rare!) I've seen greenish ones, pink, grey all kinds!

Just wanted to thank this thread!

We went mid-December and used the tip of ugliest hairiest....I think the employees had heard that before...

So she had my daughter do the countdown, opened it up and found a 6.5 mm pinkish white pearl. Then she said said that she thought the oyster was holding a surprise...yup, twin 6.5 mm pearls. I don't know how she knew but she did. It was a big hoopla with many onlookers who were quite impressed with twins.

They are now set into 14k gold earrings that are beautiful. Not bad for about $50...

It was such a great experience and not only recommend it but plan on doing it every trip from now on!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter