• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

tips for palo and the concierge?

rph117

Diz Master
I just got off the Magic and had a wonderful time. I was wondering how much do people tip the server at Palo and their concierge?

We just got off the Wonder and had dinner at Palo. It used to be that the $15 charge was considered a tip, and you could tip extra if you felt the service was extraordinary (which it usually is). Now the $15 fee is called a "cover charge" and you are encouraged to tip more. We made the mistake of letting our server select a glass of wine for me and our $15 dinner ended up costing us $35, which included a little extra for a tip.

Really, so the charge of 15 dollars goes to the server? I didn't realize that and I tipped our server based on what we thought the meal would actually cost in a regular restaurant. I guess our server loved that we ate their twice!

The $15 dollars is for the food cost only, no tips are in there. We asked our server in Palo who we have had multiple times in Palo and in the MDR and he confirmed that it was food only.

According to the Disney Cruise web site under gratuities:
It is customary to give gratuities in recognition of service, which you will most likely be treated to in abundance aboard the ship. As a guideline, we suggest the following:

Per Guest per cruise 3-Night 4-Night 7-Night
Dining Room Server $12.00 $16.00 $28.00
Dining Room Asst. Server $9.00 $12.00 $21.00
Dining Room Head Server $3.00 $4.00 $7.00
Stateroom Host/Hostess $12.00 $16.00 $28.00
Dining Manager Your Discretion
Room Service Your Discretion
Palo Gratuity included
Vista Spa & Salon Your Discretion
Babysitting Gratuity not expected
Shore Excursions Optional;not included in shore excursion price.

It seems that the $15 goes towards the gratuities - not sure how much?
But something.

The $15 dollars is for the food cost only, no tips are in there. We asked our server in Palo who we have had multiple times in Palo and in the MDR and he confirmed that it was food only.
This is incorrect and the server is probably not the best person to ask whether or not you should give them a tip. ;)

As the DCL FAQ states, the service charge for Palo is inclusive of a gratuity. Previously it has been stated that they receive $5 of the $15, which is quite fair. Not sure if they'll get a bump now that the service charge is $20.

This is incorrect and the server is probably not the best person to ask whether or not you should give them a tip. ;)

As the DCL FAQ states, the service charge for Palo is inclusive of a gratuity. Previously it has been stated that they receive $5 of the $15, which is quite fair. Not sure if they'll get a bump now that the service charge is $20.

I don't know. A $5 tip on that meal with that level of service seems incredibly paltry to me. I don't know about others, but we have always received five-star service at Palo and thus we tip to the service.

It has also been stated that $.75 of the $15 goes to the server so which one do you believe. No one really knows how much of the $15 is set aside for gratuity. I think it should be up to each individual how much they should leave for gratuity. We usually equate Palo to a local upscale restaurant with a meal costing at least $100. If this is true then a $10 tip($5 from each of us) is only 10% and I consider this too low.

It has also been stated that $.75 of the $15 goes to the server so which one do you believe. No one really knows how much of the $15 is set aside for gratuity. I think it should be up to each individual how much they should leave for gratuity. We usually equate Palo to a local upscale restaurant with a meal costing at least $100. If this is true then a $10 tip($5 from each of us) is only 10% and I consider this too low.
Since DCL states that a gratuity is included in the service charge, then I would think that one should assume that the servers are fairly compensated which would mean that the amount they receive is closer to the often mentioned $5.

If $5 per person seems too low, consider that the recommended gratuity for your main server is $4 per day per person and that is supposed to cover their services for all meals even though you are only assigned to a particular server for dinner. That $4 per day is not guaranteed either as it is possible for someone to leave no gratuity. Also, a main server only handles two seatings per day as opposed to Palo where a server can not only handle multiple dinner seatings, but also brunch and high tea...where they'll receive an additional portion of those service charges.

Anyway...as you said, tipping is up to the individual, however, there is no reason whatsoever that someone should be uncomfortable following DCL's published guidelines and considering that the gratuity is covered by the service charge.

Since DCL states that a gratuity is included in the service charge, then I would think that one should assume that the servers are fairly compensated which would mean that the amount they receive is closer to the often mentioned $5.

If $5 per person seems too low, consider that the recommended gratuity for your main server is $4 per day per person and that is supposed to cover their services for all meals even though you are only assigned to a particular server for dinner. That $4 per day is not guaranteed either as it is possible for someone to leave no gratuity. Also, a main server only handles two seatings per day as opposed to Palo where a server can not only handle multiple dinner seatings, but also brunch and high tea...where they'll receive an additional portion of those service charges.

Anyway...as you said, tipping is up to the individual, however, there is no reason whatsoever that someone should be uncomfortable following DCL's published guidelines and considering that the gratuity is covered by the service charge.

It's funny but I have read these threads a lot and I have not seen the $5 mentioned often. Most of the posts seem to disagree on how much the gratuity is.

I don't equate the dinning in the main restaurants with dinning in Palo. To me it is a more upscale restaurant so I will tip accordingly.

Again, I never once stated that anyone should feel uncomfortable with the tip they give. I stated it should be up to the individual and I stated how I felt based on the guidelines you stated.

It's funny that another poster stated that they thought $5 was too low but you pick on my post. Not sure why you have a problem with me, but it sure seems that way.

It's funny but I have read these threads a lot and I have not seen the $5 mentioned often. Most of the posts seem to disagree on how much the gratuity is.

I don't equate the dinning in the main restaurants with dinning in Palo. To me it is a more upscale restaurant so I will tip accordingly.

Again, I never once stated that anyone should feel uncomfortable with the tip they give. I stated it should be up to the individual and I stated how I felt based on the guidelines you stated.

It's funny that another poster stated that they thought $5 was too low but you pick on my post. Not sure why you have a problem with me, but it sure seems that way.
Sorry...I just responded to/quoted the last post and it happened to be yours. Not picking on anyone...if I were, I would have addressed the ridiculous "$5 seems incredibly paltry" comment instead as that one sort of seemed to insult people who choose to follow DCL's published guidelines.

Sorry...I just responded to/quoted the last post and it happened to be yours. Not picking on anyone...if I were, I would have addressed the ridiculous "$5 seems incredibly paltry" comment instead as that one sort of seemed to insult people who choose to follow DCL's published guidelines.

Wrong. As I wrote the post, I was stating my OPINION and explaining that we tip based on service and our service has always been outstanding. You may think my opinion is "ridiculous" to justify your own opinion to "follow guidelines" and that is your opinion. Internet tough guys and gals exhaust me.

Wrong. As I wrote the post, I was stating my OPINION and explaining that we tip based on service and our service has always been outstanding. You may think my opinion is "ridiculous" to justify your own opinion to "follow guidelines" and that is your opinion. Internet tough guys and gals exhaust me.
Right...that was my opinion...which is just that...whether it's in CAPS or not. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

This is a Palo manager's reply to me. This was February, 2009.

Dear Presentation,

Please, let me explain as an insider, the way the servers receive their tips:

15 $ cover charge/ person is divided:
10$- cover the costs (food, galley, etc), goes to DCL (not the server)
1 $- goes to the Palo manager
4 $- divided among the 9 Palo servers (so your server gets $ 0.44)
They get 10% out of the 15% from their sales (as a stimulus) and forgive them, they have to recommend wines, food, after dinner drinks, etc... otherwise they don't belong there...
The Palo servers do not have a salary, they get tips: there's a line on the bill "additional gratuity" that is their income, there you can show your appretiation for their exceptional service. That is why they are there, leaving their homes and beloved ones and work non- stop for 6-7-8 months.
Whatever they do, they do it with passion, they love their guests, they care about their guests' satisfaction, they want you to feel happy, unique, special and I'm sure you could feel it.

If you want to blame somebody for this custom or habit of tipping, than blame it on the cruise line industry, on the hospitality in general... but it's definitely not your server's fault and not yours as well...

Dear Presentation,

Please, let me explain as an insider, the way the servers receive their tips:

15 $ cover charge/ person is divided:
10$- cover the costs (food, galley, etc), goes to DCL (not the server)
1 $- goes to the Palo manager
4 $- divided among the 9 Palo servers (so your server gets $ 0.44)
This math is flawed....they don't only get 44 cents. Each server is getting not only their portion of the $4 service charge, but also getting their share of the gratuity from the other 8 servers, so...their portion still works out to ($4 / 9 ) * 9....which means they are getting the full $4. As I said before, your main server only gets a recommended amount of $4 per person per day as opposed to a guaranteed minimum of $4 per person per meal that a palo server gets. Your main server is off somewhere each day serving breakfast and lunch for no additional gratuity. Palo servers get an additional share of each service charge for each brunch and high tea they serve and also likely handle more than just two seatings per evening for dinner.

It is nice to give a little extra, but they are fairly compensated with just the portion of the service charge they get, just as your main server is fairly compensation when he/she receives the recommended gratuity.

The Palo servers do not have a salary, they get tips: there's a line on the bill "additional gratuity" that is their income, there you can show your appretiation for their exceptional service.

Are you suggesting their ONLY source of income on the ship is their gratuities?

Are you suggesting their ONLY source of income on the ship is their gratuities?

I am not suggesting anything.

I am simply posting to the board a Palo manager’s reply to the question I asked him.

To give a bit more background, I was heavily pushed by our Palo server to buy an expensive bottle of wine to the point where I later had post purchase dissonance. It bothered me for a long time.

The server did a excellent job of presenting the wine in such a way that if I ordered a regular bottle of wine I must be a cheap SOB, all said differently than I am saying it now. Something like "the wines for those with discriminating pallets …… bla bla bla. “

The wine was good but no better than wine that costs 1/x the cost.

What’s even worse is they give you a different wine menu in Palo.

I’m not saying the expensive wine is not good, I’m saying that a $34 bottle of Robert Mondavi merlot meets our price point and tastes good to us. This is one example of a good moderately priced wine that was on the wine list in the main dining rooms yet not on the wine list in Palo.

The good tasting yet relatively modest bottles of wine are not even on the Palo wine list. The embarrassment avoidance factor enters into the equation. I did not want to ruin a nice night by looking like a cheapskate so instead I went with it. I really did not want to spend that much on a bottle of wine. I really was pushed to the point where I was very uncomfortable for long after we left Palo.

On our next Palo visit I’m going to pull a flanking maneuver. I’m going to bring our own wine to Palo and pay the corkage fee. :thumbsup2

Locally we have a nice winery with wine we enjoy. I’ll ship a few bottles of that down to our family that we visit pre-cruise then carry it onboard.

I am not suggesting anything.

I am simply posting to the board a Palo manager’s reply to the question I asked him.

To give a bit more background, I was heavily pushed by our Palo server to buy an expensive bottle of wine to the point where I later had post purchase dissonance. It bothered me for a long time.

The server did a excellent job of presenting the wine in such a way that if I ordered a regular bottle of wine I must be a cheap SOB, all said differently than I am saying it now. Something like "the wines for those with discriminating pallets …… bla bla bla. “

The wine was good but no better than wine that costs 1/x the cost.

What’s even worse is they give you a different wine menu in Palo.

I’m not saying the expensive wine is not good, I’m saying that a $34 bottle of Robert Mondavi merlot meets our price point and tastes good to us.

The good tasting yet relatively modest bottles of wine are not even on the Palo wine list. The embarrassment avoidance factor enters into the equation. I did not want to ruin a nice night by looking like a cheapskate so instead I went with it. I really did not want to spend that much on a bottle of wine. I really was pushed to the point where I was very uncomfortable for long after we left Palo.

The entire system is built to make you feel like a poor person my making you have to ask for that ‘other cheap person’ wine list. I did not go that way.

On our next Palo visit I’m going to pull a flanking maneuver. I’m going to bring our own wine to Palo and pay the corkage fee. :thumbsup2
I would have just looked at him and said "Just tell me what your cut is from that bottle of wine your pushing on me and I'll add it to your gratuity if you let me order the bottle I want". Or more likely, I would have asked to see the dining manager and told him I was uncomfortable with the situation.

I would have just looked at him and said "Just tell me what your cut is from that bottle of wine your pushing on me and I'll add it to your gratuity if you let me order the bottle I want". Or more likely, I would have asked to see the dining manager and told him I was uncomfortable with the situation.

OK let’s say I did that then my spouse gets up and walks out due to the embarrassment what do you suggest I do next?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter