Tips for Going with 15-mo-old?

SharonLovesMickey

Mouseketeer
My daughter will be 15 months when we go on our first trip with here. Anyone have any tips for me? Even though I have been several times, this planning seems more stressful than ever before. Thanks!

we will be going sept. 19th with our son who will be 15 months on sept. 20th! i'm so excited! we were there in january when he was 7 months and THAT was SO EASY! now, with a 15 month old, i think it will be a whole different ball game. The biggest thing we are making sure to do it to allow plenty of time to go to the little play areas where he can walk around. all ds wants to do is walk (he still looks like a drunk walking! lol!) and touch things. we'll be sure to go to the play areas and the little sprinkler areas with a swim diaper in tow to wear him out a little.

make sure to bring plenty of snacks and drinks. my son is only now learning how to drink from anything (he bf'd exclusively) and i still have to hold the sippy cup for him since he doesn't "get" the whole holding it up thing. so i will be sure to offer drinks often. goldfish crackers, fruit cups, cheerios, nutra grain bars, etc. we made ADRs for early dinners in hopes that he won't be too tired to sit for a little. buffets seem to be really good since one person can sit with him while the other gets the food and you don't have to wait around to be served.

bring lots of ziplock bags to pack things in and hold dirty and wet clothing. a small soft-sided cooler to keep things cool.

have fun! i'm 21 days away from our first DVC vacation!

We are going on Sept 18 with Disney Mickey Mouse loving niece who is 15 months we are bring her sliced peachs and other snacks and plenty of diapers and wipes for her and her big brothers are going too they have been before and we are picking up a new sit and stand stroller for her and her 4 yr old brother to use the kids can't wait they do not know when we are going:rotfl2:

We went last Dec. with a 13 month old and had a wonderful time. A few things to add to the so far great list:

1. Night time comfort items: the first night the 4 of us all slept in the same double bed, because he was a little weird sleeping in a weird place. (pack a blanket or two or something that reminds them of home)

2. Hotel Package: Just a suggestion, we started mailing a package down 2 weeks before our trip of all the things we would not be returning home with (diapers, wipes, snacks, disposable sip cups, bottles, bowls, towels) This really helps with getting a jump on packing and not having to lug the extra weight to airport.

3. Stroller that reclines and has a shade top. Daily naps will be a must for a happy 15 month.

4. Playtime: i think it was already said, but my 12 month old loved all the play areas and pool time.

5. Hand sanitizer: not to sound like one of those germ freaks, however, my son touches everything.

6. Benadryl: I know some people will frown at this one, however if you are flying, this is the best tip I can give: a little benadryl mixed in some water before you board the plane. A quiet plane is a happy plane... and my 12 month feel asleep by the time the plane hit the run way on the way and back home.

Have a wonderful trip....

Thank you Thank you!!!! These tips will help a lot. I am looking forward to just having some fun and relaxing. All you lucky DISers will be there so much sooner than me!!! I am so jealous!!! I will definitely be taking these tips to heart!!! My daughter is 9 months and walking already. I'm not sure I am looking forward to chasing down a running 15-month-old. :)

Taking our 15 month old in 9 days! Can't wait, his first trip he was 5 months. I know it'll be a different ball game and I think we're prepared. We just took a shopping trip today for his favorite snacks and some toddler meals. He eats some big people food, but not 100% of the time. I wanted to be prepared. We'll take it slow, rest and play a ton. We're staying 2 weeks and can't wait. Family joining us the second week with a 2 & 4 year old. The cousins are going to have a great time!!

We asked for pack n play and bed rails. I think he will start off in the pack and play and wind up with us...or one of us...each night. We're expecting it. Those pack and plays are HARD, he wouldn't stay in it all night at the beach either. No big deal.

I bought a "back pack" "leash" that my husband despises and says we will not use, we'll see. My niece ordered one for our great nephew off of a website that is Mickey and so cute, he LOVES it and wants to wear it in the house! My sons is just a doggie. I think it's better to be prepared, he loves to walk so much and that way we wont risk him running too far ahead. We'll see....

No matter what, it will be awesome!!

2. Hotel Package: Just a suggestion, we started mailing a package down 2 weeks before our trip of all the things we would not be returning home with (diapers, wipes, snacks, disposable sip cups, bottles, bowls, towels) This really helps with getting a jump on packing and not having to lug the extra weight to airport.

How far in advance will they hold stuff for you? Do you have to call ahead and let them know or put something in the package indicating your arrival date?

I second all of the other suggestions and will add one more.

I would look at getting a soft carrier like a Becco, Ergo, or Mei Tai. This was a life saver for me when I took my child at this age. Being able to do a backpack carry in line helped a lot, and since they are comfortable, I was able to park the stroller sometimes and go from place to place easily. Kids get a great view from up there, so there is less issue with them wanting to get down and wander.

all of these ideas are great,
let me add

Dont worry about your schedule. She may not nap when she usually does or at all!
She may be hungry earlier or later,

I have found taking little ones on vacation the schedule goes out the window and we go with the flow. I also had to tell myself it was a different type of disney now so we were more "child" focused instead of rushing to get to all the thrill rides!

WE leave tomorrow with my 2.5 yo and 3 month old, so I am still reminding myself this!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter