Tips for bringing a non-family minor

TamieH

Mouseketeer
I would greatly appreciate any tips that I need to know about bringing along a 17 year old minor that is not my child. For her graduation gift, we are allowing our DD17 to bring along her DBF17. We are covering cruise costs and his parents are covering his airfare, passport, excursions and spending money.

Besides making sure I have copies of his medical insurance card and he has his passport, is there anything else I need to bring on the trip just in case of a medical emergency or etc. since he is a minor? (2 months shy of 18)

Thanks in advance

I would greatly appreciate any tips that I need to know about bringing along a 17 year old minor that is not my child. For her graduation gift, we are allowing our DD17 to bring along her DBF17. We are covering cruise costs and his parents are covering his airfare, passport, excursions and spending money.

Besides making sure I have copies of his medical insurance card and he has his passport, is there anything else I need to bring on the trip just in case of a medical emergency or etc. since he is a minor? (2 months shy of 18)

Thanks in advance

How about a "permission to treat" for a minor not yours?

Signed by the parents.

Also, be aware, if you need to seek medical care, you will be paying out of pocket. And getting reimbursed once back home. IF the insurance will cover out of country medical care. Many US health plans do not cover "out of country". And once you board the ship, you are "out of country".

You should also bring a permission letter, signed by both parents, giving you permission to take him out of the country.

And while you don't need to, it wouldn't hurt to have the permission letter and the medical letter notarized.

And to add further to the last few posts - a letter that is notorized and has a raised stamp, this is important if crossing state lines. There are many versions of letters on the internet to print out, but basically it should have all the pertinent info that would be needed in a medical emergency - esp in the event the teen was unable to give the info personally. Full name, SSN, address, phone numbers of parents, names of parents, allergies, pertinent medical history(medical and surgical) insurance information etc. Plus the dates that you are allowed to travel with the teenager and the areas you will be traveling is helpful (ie what state, what ports etc) Overkill, probably, but in an emergency the more you know about the child the better. I am sure others will chime in with info that I may have forgotten.

I have traveled with minor relatives and nonrelatives for 30 years, never had to use the letters but I never leave home without it, the one and only time I had to take my niece to the ED was in my own town when she broke her arm doing a cartwheel in my backyard :) I consider my letter an "insurance policy" or good luck charm:cheer2:

We gave our DD and her BFF the same HS graduation gift this year. They were friends since 1st grade. We bought travel insurance as back up. We talked to the insurance people and since she was not related to us, she needed her own policy.

We also took her medical insurance card and permission from her dad.

These are all great suggestions. I'm going to print off this thread and put in in my Cruise Folder so we can do these before leaving.

Many thanks!

We're bringing my son's best friend in October. Disney has a Minor Authorization Form on their website. The Disney agent I spoke to said it does not need to be notarized anymore. We're going to have it notarized, just in case.

I don't have enough posts to link, but just search the Disney Cruise website for MinorAuthorization.pdf

what you REALLY want is a limited Power of Attorney . . . .

you can get a form from Disney that will be fine on the ship ....

if you end up in a hospital on land the ship form ain't worth diddly

Disney requires their "Minor Authorization form" which you'll see online when you do your online check-in. It shows towards the bottom of the page under "Optional forms" but I think you can only find it once you're within your check-in period which varies depending on Castaway Club level after you've paid in full. I checked my upcoming cruise and looks like it's under direct link http://dcl.wdpromedia.com/media/dcl_v0400/Site/PlanningCenter/Media/MinorAuthorization.pdf. This looks like it's strictly for DCL stating that someone has "care, custody, and control" of the minor child and "to act and contract on their behalf in connection with the Disney Cruise Line vacation, commencing on" mm/dd/yy. This looks like the form that Disney requires form you when you check in and doesn't look like it needs to be notarized though my TA sent another link that must be an older copy that did have a spot for notarization.

As other have mentioned, I'd also recommend a medical authorization form so that you can obtain medical care if needed for the minor. Disney wouldn't care about this unless you needed to get medical care on the ship and I don't know if they'd require it or not, but I'd want to have it with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter