• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips for becoming a Disney travel agent?

thedisneymomma

Earning My Ears
I'm a stay at home mom and have decided I want to take my love of Disney and drive to do something while being a sahm and become a travel agent.

I know there's more to it than just loving Disney, and I'm willing to put in the work and dedicate a full time amount of time for it.

But I'm just seeing if anyone has tips on where to start. I've been researching some agencies and I have the Disney traveling qualifications, but I don't have experience as a travel agent. I'm willing and want to do any training offered to me.

Does anyone have any tips on getting started? Generating leads?

You'd have to link up with a "parent" agency that would be willing to take you on as an independent contractor. To book Disney directly through the Disney Travel Agent site on your own, you would need to have an IATA number which only established agencies and agents can obtain (requires a minimum sales threshold and credentials, I believe). There are plenty of agencies out there that take on independent contractors, you just need to do your due diligence. I believe board guidelines prohibit posting of specific names. But do watch out for any agencies that require you to pay a start-up fee. You can link up with a reputable agency without having to pay that.

You should also know that until you have quite the client base set up, income will be minimal. I've been doing it myself for about 6 months and have found it harder to get bookings than anticipated. I have made about $500 in commission from my bookings thus far - from which my parent agency deducted their portion (50%), money for insurance, and document shipping costs. I also put about 20% of it away for taxes. As an independent contractor, no taxes are deducted so you'll be required to pay it during tax time.

Your lack of travel agency experience shouldn't be a huge factor. Most agencies will require you to complete the Disney College of Knowledge at first, which not only educates you on all things Disney but gives you selling tips as well. Learning sales is easier than learning the ins and outs of Disney.

Good luck!

Research "host agencies" on the internet. I've been working as an independent contractor for a host for more than 10 years. There are reputable agencies out there that have a much better than 50/50 commission split for minimal cost. Don't expect to make any money very quickly though. You don't get paid commission until AFTER the client travels.

Thank you both for the advice! I'm currently in contact with an agency and I'm going to take both of your advice.

I definitely realize it takes a lot of time and work and won't happen right away.

Do either of you have any advice as far as getting leads? I'm plan on using social media and word of mouth with family and friends but I'm just wondering if you have any other tips.

Do either of you have any advice as far as getting leads? I'm plan on using social media and word of mouth with family and friends but I'm just wondering if you have any other tips.

This has been the hardest part for me. So far, I've only booked friends and family. Since people don't go to WDW super often (at least around here), it's inevitably going to take a long time to spread my name by word of mouth and referrals.

I do have a Facebook page, and have paid to "boost" my page through ads on Facebook. It did help to garner more likes on my page, but no bookings yet. I also have a Twitter and have added any Disney account I can find. I had business cards made up through Vistaprint and hang them wherever I can - grocery store, community center, gym, my tax office. Wherever they have a public cork board you can pin them up. Some people I work with have decals on their car or have bags with the agency name made up that they carry around as their purse/handbag, etc.

Once you link up with an agency, follow their directive as far as marketing goes. Disney is very particular about photos and terminology you can use. Same goes for any graphics - your agency will likely have an approved graphic or business card that you'll have to use.

There also can be travel to Orlando involved as part of the training process.

This is true but it's dependent on the agency you work for. Disney sends agents on fam trips (familiarization) and they are usually limited. If you're working for a host agency that has multiple independent contractors, it's typically the highest selling agents that get to go.

Doesn't sound like this is necessary based on everyone's great information in this thread. But I have seen travel and tourism certificates and course work at community colleges. That might be something you just find interesting if you like school and have some extra time/money.

This is true but it's dependent on the agency you work for. Disney sends agents on fam trips (familiarization) and they are usually limited. If you're working for a host agency that has multiple independent contractors, it's typically the highest selling agents that get to go.

Interesting. I personally know an agent that travels to Orlando yearly for training.

Interesting. I personally know an agent that travels to Orlando yearly for training.

Does she have her own IATA number? If so, that opens up different availability for her than independent contractors would have access to.

Just bumping up this thread as I am in the process of trying to do this also.....looking for more advice, words of wisdom, experience, etc....

Do you enjoy being a salesperson? Because 99% of what you do when you first become a TA is try to find leads and generate sales. Your host agency doesn't give you leads, they are working with you because they want you to increase their client base. The fun organizing stuff doesn't come until later. Also, do you mind being on-call? Because for most agencies your job isn't over when you book their dining. You are expected to be available to help them until they are home from the trip.

I actually own my agency, after working with a host agency for awhile. Most agencies don't send you leads, or will send them to you after you've been with the company for so long, or reached a certain commission. (I do send leads to my agents when they get started because they are all brand new and I know how it is not having a lot of clients right away) Also, it's not necessary for all independent agents to have their own IATA or CLIA. I know when I worked with my host agency we used their IATA and CLIA numbers, and I also do the same for my agents. Many of the larger agencies do want someone with experience, and have the ability to be more picky. However, host agencies and some newer agencies are more willing to work with people brand new to the industry.

As for getting your own leads, I have found that usually it's easier to start out on friends and family. Then they recommend you to their friends, etc... It does take some time and is probably the most frustrating part. Then you are required to be able to help your clients until after they return from their trip. Sometimes they may hit a snafoo while in the parks, and will need you to assist them. You'll get some clients who want you to do everything for them and will contact you a lot. You may want to decide what hours you are willing to help clients. (I had one agent who had a client calling her at like 2am for dining reservations) And some know how to do everything but want you to book their vacation and dining.

Commission really varies for each agency. Some work on a structure where you'll get 60%, then once you hit a certain amount you'll reach the next tier and make 65% and so on. (This is what I do) Some others will have a set commission where you'll earn 50-60% etc... no matter how much you sell.

If you have any other questions please feel free to message me! :)

Enchanted Minnie, Thank you for the information. I am currently also looking for a host company. I have a strong business background and while I need somoney who can show me the intricacies of the travel agent world I also want some independence. Your information was very helpful

So excited! I signed with a host agency and am now taking Disneys College of Knowledge!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter