Tips and Tipping

smkiya

<font color=deeppink>Sorta new. ;) Still gets a ta
So I've seen a couple of threads about tips this evening, and I wonder... Do you ever feel pressured to tip, when you don't think it's necessary?

I'll admit that I will sometimes put change in the tip mug at Dunkin Donuts. But I mean seriously, why am I tipping the people who work at the register?

I hate when people want a tip for pick up. I drove all the way here to get my own pizza. I will put change in the cup for those type of places, but not adding a tip on the receipt line for pick up joints. I have had 2 (yes 2 different places) write in their own tip on a pick up order after I put a line through the tip part. Now I write PICK UP in the line. My credit card disputed both for me though. I will add, if its a restaurant that does car side, I do tip them.

Nope. Tips are optional. I choose who and when I tip.

Don't get me wrong, we are good tippers but I don't feel that every Tom, Dick, and Harry need a tip for just doing their jobs.

No I have never felt pressured. I know when tipping is appropriate and when it is not.

FlyingDumbo said:
I hate when people want a tip for pick up. I drove all the way here to get my own pizza. I will put change in the cup for those type of places, but not adding a tip on the receipt line for pick up joints. I have had 2 (yes 2 different places) write in their own tip on a pick up order after I put a line through the tip part. Now I write PICK UP in the line. My credit card disputed both for me though. I will add, if its a restaurant that does car side, I do tip them.

I agree I do not tip if I am picking it up.

I think tipping on pick up or to-go orders is appropriate because at the past few restaurants I worked at the person putting together the pick up order is a server or bartender. We all know how little servers make hourly, so the way I see it is if the server is taking time away from taking care of his or her tables to put together a take-out order, throwing them a few bones doesn't hurt.

Nothing was more irritating to me than when I was very busy bartending/ taking care of my guests and I had to stop what I was doing to put together a to-go order to then make $0 from it. Of course it also comes down to management too. Most restaurants have a host or designated take-out person take care of them and they usually make min. wage or more hourly. On slow nights those people would get cut or get called out.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just giving you a different view.

Nothing was more irritating to me than when I was very busy bartending/ taking care of my guests and I had to stop what I was doing to put together a to-go order to then make $0 from it.

Yes. But the chick that makes your drink at whatever fast food joint you stop at really doesn't need a tip. She isn't making a servers wage.

but where does it end? I saw a thread earlier asking if you tip the satellite installer. Cripes! Should I tip the the plumber too? I mean, it is probably just the main plumbers assistant and I'm sure he makes less than me.

Yes. But the chick that makes your drink at whatever fast food joint you stop at really doesn't need a tip. She isn't making a servers wage.

I totally agree! I was just saying that because pick up orders were mentioned by another poster.

jml06fsu said:
I think tipping on pick up or to-go orders is appropriate because at the past few restaurants I worked at the person putting together the pick up order is a server or bartender. We all know how little servers make hourly, so the way I see it is if the server is taking time away from taking care of his or her tables to put together a take-out order, throwing them a few bones doesn't hurt.

Nothing was more irritating to me than when I was very busy bartending/ taking care of my guests and I had to stop what I was doing to put together a to-go order to then make $0 from it. Of course it also comes down to management too. Most restaurants have a host or designated take-out person take care of them and they usually make min. wage or more hourly. On slow nights those people would get cut or get called out.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just giving you a different view.

I'm sorry, that's just part of the gig. I worked a commission retail sales job where my base pay was less than min. wage. I didn't enjoy checking tire pressure or wasting time on customers who didn't buy tires or any number of non commission unpaid things I had to do. It was just part of the gig and you know that going in. Most servers make more than I did when I had that job so I really feel no sympathy for having to exert a minimal amount of effort. That low hourly wage pays them for the 2 minutes of time it takes to pack a meal.

I'm sorry, that's just part of the gig. I worked a commission retail sales job where my base pay was less than min. wage. I didn't enjoy checking tire pressure or wasting time on customers who didn't buy tires or any number of non commission unpaid things I had to do. It was just part of the gig and you know that going in. Most servers make more than I did when I had that job so I really feel no sympathy for having to exert a minimal amount of effort. That low hourly wage pays them for the 2 minutes of time it takes to pack a meal.

I definitely came off rude by starting that sentence with "Nothing irritated me more than..." I shouldn't have even worded it that way because it makes me seem ungrateful for the business, and that is not the case at all :( I think what was actually irritating was being very very busy and having a manager throw a to-go order at me when there were plenty of servers who were doing nothing.

Where I worked the take out orders were somewhat time consuming....we had to make fresh tortillas, bag chips, pour to-go condiments, etc. So I had to disappear for 5 or so minutes to take care of them. I always prefer to leave a few bucks when I pick food up because of this.

I'll leave the change in the tip cup at DD if I feel like it.

The family-owned pizza place where I know all the kids who run the take-out window...well, I'll usually throw a couple of bucks ito their tip cup because they're good kids working hard.

But I don't ever feel pressured to have to tip everyone.

So I've seen a couple of threads about tips this evening, and I wonder... Do you ever feel pressured to tip, when you don't think it's necessary?

I'll admit that I will sometimes put change in the tip mug at Dunkin Donuts. But I mean seriously, why am I tipping the people who work at the register?

I usually put tips in the tip jars at places. Usually it's young girls working there and I figure it makes them happy and they could use the money.

My daughter away at college has a part job and can receive tips. The other day a gentleman gave her a $100 bill on a $10 meal.

I definitely came off rude by starting that sentence with "Nothing irritated me more than..." I shouldn't have even worded it that way because it makes me seem ungrateful for the business, and that is not the case at all :( I think what was actually irritating was being very very busy and having a manager throw a to-go order at me when there were plenty of servers who were doing nothing.

Where I worked the take out orders were somewhat time consuming....we had to make fresh tortillas, bag chips, pour to-go condiments, etc. So I had to disappear for 5 or so minutes to take care of them. I always prefer to leave a few bucks when I pick food up because of this.

I can completely understand why this would irk you. I feel that it should be taken up with the manager or owner, though, as that person is who is really responsible for a servers pay, and not the consumer. I wish we could go to tipping for service that goes above and beyond rather than just for service. I realize that it would mean higher prices at most places and I would be fine with that as long as it meant that the restaurant owner was being responsible for making sure his servers made at least minimum wage and wasn't relying on customers to pick up the slack. Plus, that way, servers who do an excellent job would get compensated as such.

And I do get annoyed with tip jars at places where you place your order at the counter, the person takes your order and then turns around and gives the ticket to the kitchen. That's all she does, but she wants a tip for it. She doesn't even call you when your order is ready. The kitchen does that. Why am I tipping for writing down what I want and nothing more?

StillWorldlyWise said:
but where does it end? I saw a thread earlier asking if you tip the satellite installer. Cripes! Should I tip the the plumber too? I mean, it is probably just the main plumbers assistant and I'm sure he makes less than me.

Tips shouldn't be pressured on anyone nor should they HAVE to be!?! I was a server for many years which made for low wages in anticipation of tip income tho most people tip fairly some let you "keep the change" My DH has a business installing floor covering his income is greatly larger than mine was he has received tips honestly more frequent than imagined-Tips are just that an extra "tip" to let someone know how you feel about services rendered If its lousy reflect such if it honestly helped you in extreme let them know It doesn't always have to be financial as some couldn't afford it yet there's ways of letting someone who serves you in any manner know its appreciated. "Gratuity" has been added at most businesses in special cases due to some people forgetting the basic rules for "tips" so their "pushed" into it

I tip for this.

Soooo, if it is a "carside" to go order - like at Outback, how much should you tip? Should you do the 15-20%, as if you were being waited on? What if you go inside to pick up your order, like at Outback?

mjkacmom said:
I tip for this.

So do I. I'm a "regular" at the Tgifridays next to my hospital. Their kitchen is open until at least midnight most nights & often 1am on weekends, which is when I usually work. I often tip 25-40%.

I agree with this. I don't tip at Dunkin Donuts, the sub shop, etc. because I know they aren't making servers wages. I MIGHT once in a great while throw a few coins in the jar if I have a very large or extremely complicated order, but that is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

I'm the over tipper, and I rarely throw more than a few coins in those tip jars. I used to be a bus person, so I know what it's like to work your *** off and get gypped out of a tip. Granted, that isn't the same as waiting tables, but we got paid well below minimum wage and the tips were supposed to make up the rest of it.

I think that those tip jar are a joke unless something extraordinary happens with your order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter