Tipping servers/assistant servers

You can get additional reservations (beyond the 1 pre-cruise reservation allotment) onboard, if there's availability.

Yes I know that, and we get basically get as many as we want since we know most of the managers.....

I'm just wondering before the cruise how they can guarantee that they will eat there twice, especially on a 3 night. I couldn't guarantee it and we have some pretty good connections....

just curious to everyone's thoughts on this.
On a 3 night cruise on the Dream, eating at Palo 2 nights and Remy on the other. Never even going to the MDRs.

Would you still tip the servers in the MDRs?
Yes

Yes I know that, and we get basically get as many as we want since we know most of the managers.....

I'm just wondering before the cruise how they can guarantee that they will eat there twice, especially on a 3 night. I couldn't guarantee it and we have some pretty good connections....
I think they're just planning on it. But it's not confirmed. Maybe they booked Night 1 & 2 (Palo & Remy) and hope to pick up Palo once onboard for night 3? Who knows. They could be Concierge, and, if so, probably will get it.

I think this is normal. We used to give more extra cash. Have given $80-$100/ person. Not always- thats just our upper bracket. This last year we did tip extra once (40/person) and did not tip extra the other time (first time not giving extra cash- turning point with dcl for us). We still did room host both times. Even to the one who "refused" to give us shampoo. We also have always found the servers seem disappointed regardless of the extra amount. Not sure why. Our room hosts on the other hand are always very happy. But we are moving toward less extra tippong. Going in august with the mind set of not tipping extra at all. Partly because we paid an outrageous amount for the cruise. Most/night ever. Partly because we believe service at dcl has gone down.

Curious how you know you are going to receive disappointing service before you even board the ship. I have never seen a server or assistant server look disappointed when we give them an extra $ 20 so if they are getting an extra $ 100 I would have to think they would be almost giddy. The servers can not control what DCL charges for a cruise so I find no cause to short them if I didn't like the price I paid to cruise. I do hope however that you end up with good service and enjoy your cruise.

Not to hijack the thread, but how much of a tip does a service team expect if you eat at the rotational restaurants for the entire cruise?

On our 7 night Fantasy cruises, we've always given them the full suggested tip plus an extra cash amount in the range of $15 to $25 each for the server/assistant server (and $5 to $10 extra for the head server). They always seem somewhat dissappoined, which makes me wonder if others typically tip a lot more.
No, I suspect most tip the suggested amount. Perhaps the extra cash in their tip envelope is interpreted as their entire tip. Maybe they don't realize it is in addition to the suggested amount.

Will my server know if I prepay gratuities? First cruise on the Dream next month (August 2016) and would like to pay before we board.

Will my server know if I prepay gratuities? First cruise on the Dream next month (August 2016) and would like to pay before we board.

the way it works is little vouchers and envelopes are left in your room for you to give your servers, room attendant, etc. it doesn't matter if you pre-pay or if it's deducted the last day from your CC on file, unless you go to guest services and remove the gratuity, they get the suggested amount. WHEN you paid the gratuity has no bearing.

and FWIW, every server/room attendant has been incredibly gracious and appreciative of the gratuity, no matter whether i give cash over the amount or not.

If they are not working in one of the other dinning venues during the day as others have mentioned then they are working in the laundry to ensure you have clean sheets and towels. It's not like they sit on their bums all day just to work two dinner shifts (which is still a lot of work) every night.

I have a question about the gratuity envelopes. Do you have to personally give them to the people or is there another way? We personally gave ours out on our first cruise, but it seemed like we were the only ones. I didn't see anybody else doing it. I felt awkward because I wasn't sure what to really do. Maybe most people give them at breakfast on the last day and we did it dinner the night before because we weren't going to breakfast on the last day. The whole thing was just uncomfortable for me.

I have a question about the gratuity envelopes. Do you have to personally give them to the people or is there another way? We personally gave ours out on our first cruise, but it seemed like we were the only ones. I didn't see anybody else doing it. I felt awkward because I wasn't sure what to really do. Maybe most people give them at breakfast on the last day and we did it dinner the night before because we weren't going to breakfast on the last day. The whole thing was just uncomfortable for me.
If you've left the gratuities on your onboard account, then everyone who is supposed to will still get their gratuity.

It's quite possible that you just didn't see others handing out the envelopes. Most don't really make a big show of it. We hand (read that as "slip") our serving team their envelopes at the end of dinner, as we're leaving. Most of the time they take the envelope and immediately put it in their pocket. I believe that they are not really supposed to open them in front of you, or others.

There are some people who "feel uncomfortable" with the process. But you really shouldn't it's been done this way for YEARS.... It's not a good idea to wait until the last breakfast to hand out the envelopes, because it's quite possible that your server may not be working that morning (various reasons - end of contract, sick, immigration check taking too long). The last night is generally best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter