Tipping Questions

Mcert01

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I have pretty much decided to pre-pay the tips. I have a couple of questions. What is the usual and customary for pre-pay?

Also, what is included (which people / services). I want to be sure not to stiff someone.

One last question. If someone is included in the pre-pay, how do they know you have pre-paid and are not stiffing them on a tip?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

I have pretty much decided to pre-pay the tips. I have a couple of questions. What is the usual and customary for pre-pay?

Also, what is included (which people / services). I want to be sure not to stiff someone.

One last question. If someone is included in the pre-pay, how do they know you have pre-paid and are not stiffing them on a tip?

Thanks for your help!
The suggested gratuities are $12.00 per guest (each person in your room) per day. That $12.00 breaks out to: $4.00 per guest per day to your room host; $4.00 per guest per day to your dining room server; $3.00 per guest per day to your assistant server; and $1.00 per guest per day to your head server.

They won't know until you are off the ship that you haven't paid the gratuities. At the end of your cruise you'll get a coupon sheet and envelopes for tipping.
gratuities sheet 2014 0220 P1040185 1500a.jpg

You separate the coupons and place them in the appropriate envelope (they are marked with the position title) and hand them out the last night. If you wish, you may add additional cash to the envelope.

Other (not included) options for tipping are bar service (15% automatically added to all beverage purchases); spa (18% automatically added for services); porters in the terminal; excursion drivers/guides; room service.

Towards the end of your cruise you will receive notes and envelopes in your Stateroom. These indicate the prepaid tip amount and their name. One for your Server, Assistant Server and Head Server as well as your Stateroom Host.

If they go above and beyond you can also add extra to the envelopes if you like. They make it very simple and outline the process well. I always prepay and it makes things simpler. I also have added more to the envelopes on more than one occasion because Disney simply goes above and beyond.

Are pre-paid tips added to your onboard charges at the end of the cruise? Can you pay them in advance when booking the cruise?

Just FYI, you can also reduce your gratuities if you feel service was below your expectations. But before you reduce, its always nice to give them the benefit of the doubt and express your concerns so they have the opportunity to correct it. We reduced gratuities for our head server because he almost killed our DD twice; stating food was safe for her to eat when it wasn't. We also reduced gratuities for our room hostess who often times would not replace towels or soaps, even when we were completely empty. She also told us to have room service deliver our daily ice bucket filled with ice. We left extra for our assistant server, a few bartenders, kids club team members, a lifeguard that was great and the character team.

I've always prepaid them when making the reservation. Similar to adding insurance. I've never tried adding them after the pay in full date.

So even prepaid are putting slips into these envelopes? What if not prepaid?

You separate the coupons and place them in the appropriate envelope (they are marked with the position title) and hand them out the last night.

But you don't have to put the slips in the envelope or give the envelopes at all. They will still get tipped.

Slightly awkward to not give them, though, because you'll still see the people after tip-giving night. :)

Are pre-paid tips added to your onboard charges at the end of the cruise? Can you pay them in advance when booking the cruise?

Yes and I believe yes. :)

Yes. Effectively, all pre-paying does is put a credit on your account that is specifically intended for tips (i.e., it wouldn't be used to pay for drinks like if you put a general credit on the account), although you can change that later if you want. If you don't pre-pay, you just get charged on (I think) the second to last day unless you ask for a change. None of the servers get their tips until the end of the cruise regardless of whether you pre-pay or not.

If not pre-paid (as in paid as part of the reservation), the $12.00 per day is added to your onboard account. And you still get the slips/envelopes.

Just FYI, you can also reduce your gratuities if you feel service was below your expectations. But before you reduce, its always nice to give them the benefit of the doubt and express your concerns so they have the opportunity to correct it. We reduced gratuities for our head server because he almost killed our DD twice; stating food was safe for her to eat when it wasn't. We also reduced gratuities for our room hostess who often times would not replace towels or soaps, even when we were completely empty. She also told us to have room service deliver our daily ice bucket filled with ice. We left extra for our assistant server, a few bartenders, kids club team members, a lifeguard that was great and the character team.

Yep that was really bad service you got from your stateroom host. I always get my stateroom host to fill up the ice bucket every night and never had a problem.

So, the pre-paid is just paid the to the dining servers, not to bartenders / servers or room service or maid service (can't recall what the folks who take care of the room are called - 1st time cruiser :) ). Is that right? I just want to be sure I am taking care of everyone who needs to be taken care of.

So, the pre-paid is just paid the to the dining servers, not to bartenders / servers or room service or maid service (can't recall what the folks who take care of the room are called - 1st time cruiser :) ). Is that right? I just want to be sure I am taking care of everyone who needs to be taken care of.

Whether pre-paid (before the cruise) or auto-charged (during the cruise), the recommended tips will cover 4 positions: stateroom host(ess) plus the 3 MDR positions Head Server, Server and Assistant Server. By "maid service" I assume you mean the stateroom hostess, so yes that position is included in the recommended gratuities.

Bartenders receive an automatic 15% gratuity on beverages, automatically included on the slip you'll sign, though you may add more if you so choose.

Spa services receive an automatic 18% gratuity, automatically included on the slip to sign, though you may add more if you so choose.

Enjoy your cruise!

Regardless of whether you prepay it if they are auto charged to your onboard account on the 2nd to last night of the cruise, you can still add extra cash to the envelopes to recognize excellent service.

If you prepay so the charges post to your credit card before departure, I think the only option is the standard, recommended amount. ($12 per person per day)

Regardless of whether you prepay it if they are auto charged to your onboard account on the 2nd to last night of the cruise, you can still add extra cash to the envelopes to recognize excellent service.

If you prepay so the charges post to your credit card before departure, I think the only option is the standard, recommended amount. ($12 per person per day)

Just curious, does the $12 per person also apply to infants? Thanks.

You can always go down and increase the tip amount, whether you've prepaid or not. Or just add additional cash to the envelope with the gratuity slip.

Just curious, does the $12 per person also apply to infants? Thanks.
Yes.

Whether pre-paid (before the cruise) or auto-charged (during the cruise), the recommended tips will cover 4 positions: stateroom host(ess) plus the 3 MDR positions Head Server, Server and Assistant Server. By "maid service" I assume you mean the stateroom hostess, so yes that position is included in the recommended gratuities.

Bartenders receive an automatic 15% gratuity on beverages, automatically included on the slip you'll sign, though you may add more if you so choose.

Spa services receive an automatic 18% gratuity, automatically included on the slip to sign, though you may add more if you so choose.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter