Tipping Question

EMHDad

DIS Veteran
Last night was our date night. It was also my birthday date and we went to a comedy club. Had a lot of fun, but the club had a 2 order minimum per person. We had just had dinner so we only ordered drinks. I tipped what I thought was appropriate, but in the moment it made me think about the policy on tipping. I dont drink too often, and almost never outside of a meal order.

So, how do you tip when it comes to drinks? We had 4 drinks. The drinks were CLEARLY overpriced. There was not food or anything. I understand the waiters make little, and like to err on the side of a little more in the tip because of it. Still, I felt a little foolish not being certain on my decision?

Oh yeah. Let me tell you what I did do to get a reference. 4 mixed drinks with tax came to $34. I added $5 in a tip.

Thoughts?

Last night was our date night. It was also my birthday date and we went to a comedy club. Had a lot of fun, but the club had a 2 order minimum per person. We had just had dinner so we only ordered drinks. I tipped what I thought was appropriate, but in the moment it made me think about the policy on tipping. I dont drink too often, and almost never outside of a meal order.

So, how do you tip when it comes to drinks? We had 4 drinks. The drinks were CLEARLY overpriced. There was not food or anything. I understand the waiters make little, and like to err on the side of a little more in the tip because of it. Still, I felt a little foolish not being certain on my decision?

Oh yeah. Let me tell you what I did do to get a reference. 4 mixed drinks with tax came to $34. I added $5 in a tip.

Thoughts?

I would do the between 18-20% depending on the level of service

I would do the between 18-20% depending on the level of service

Same here. Cost of the drinks would not change the percentage. The only thing that would is the service itself.

And I can understand 100% for the club to have a minimum order. A party at a comedy club is taking up a table for an extended period of time. More then a normal bar or restaurant most likely.

Same here. Cost of the drinks would not change the percentage. The only thing that would is the service itself.

And I can understand 100% for the club to have a minimum order. A party at a comedy club is taking up a table for an extended period of time. More then a normal bar or restaurant most likely.

no, i completely understand. i am not a fan of it much. It would be different if I am not paying for the comedy club tickets. however, buying tickets to the show and the minimum order is a bit much to me. but, i am cool with it, because it was my decision to go. Still, i appreciate other opinions since my experience on it is limited and i wish to be respectful to my server.

does it matter between if it is a mixed drink, a glass of wine, a bottle of beer, etc.? just curious. thanx

I would have tipped $6, round the total to $40. Assuming service was good, it tends to be slow in places like that.

no, i completely understand. i am not a fan of it much. It would be different if I am not paying for the comedy club tickets. however, buying tickets to the show and the minimum order is a bit much to me. but, i am cool with it, because it was my decision to go. Still, i appreciate other opinions since my experience on it is limited and i wish to be respectful to my server.

does it matter between if it is a mixed drink, a glass of wine, a bottle of beer, etc.? just curious. thanx

Nope not all

I would have tipped more. What you didn't mention was how long you sat at the table. Assuming you were there for under an hour I'd tip 20%. The longer you stay after that the more you tip even though you didn't order more.

For a $34.00 check I would have gone at least $7.00 and more if I stayed at the table for a while without ordering more drinks.

EMHDad said:

Thoughts?

I don't think how long you sat there matters how much to tip. Its not like they could have sat someone else there as it was during the show, right? I probably would have tipped at least $6 but I agree the 2 item minimum is a joke especially after buying tickets. I usually don't go to comedy clubs unless I get free tickets, then I don't care about the minimum order. I order a bucket of beer (5) or 2 pops each and that covers both of our minimums for $20ish plus tip.

I would have tipped more. What you didn't mention was how long you sat at the table. Assuming you were there for under an hour I'd tip 20%. The longer you stay after that the more you tip even though you didn't order more.

For a $34.00 check I would have gone at least $7.00 and more if I stayed at the table for a while without ordering more drinks.

Isn't a comedy club usually a set time per show? You don't come and go at different times, holding a table?

Nope... wouldn't matter WHAT the drink is. The cost is the cost and the tip is a percentage of that.

Honestly, for a $34 check I would have tipped $7. 20% would have been $6.80, but I hate tipping change so I would have rounded up. That is, again, as long as the service was good.

I usually tip the same on beverages as I do food. Fifteen to twenty percent based on service.

Isn't a comedy club usually a set time per show? You don't come and go at different times, holding a table?

That is correct. It wasnt a bar or some restaurant where you come and go. It was a show. My wife and I had to buy (somewhat costly, but again our choice) tickets for the show. Part of the price was a mandatory 2 drink purchase. The time we were there was the same for every single person in the place.

Again, I appreciate everyone's opinions. Its helpful in avoiding any faux pas.

Another question...
(again, please forgive my ignorance. I dont have much experience in this area.)

Say I am at a bar. I order a drink or drinks from a bartender. Is it still the 15-20% that I give the waiter? Is is something else? What about the tip jars I sometimes see? What do you do?

i thought you tip pretax and she says it was 34 with tax so $5 was still over 15% and fine how much was it pretax? not sure what state and the tax rate.

i thought you tip pretax and she says it was 34 with tax so $5 was still over 15% and fine how much was it pretax? not sure what state and the tax rate.

And just to clear up, it was $31 pretax. I tip pretax.

That is correct. It wasnt a bar or some restaurant where you come and go. It was a show. My wife and I had to buy (somewhat costly, but again our choice) tickets for the show. Part of the price was a mandatory 2 drink purchase. The time we were there was the same for every single person in the place.

Again, I appreciate everyone's opinions. Its helpful in avoiding any faux pas.

Another question...
(again, please forgive my ignorance. I dont have much experience in this area.)

Say I am at a bar. I order a drink or drinks from a bartender. Is it still the 15-20% that I give the waiter? Is is something else? What about the tip jars I sometimes see? What do you do?

I tip the bartender the same as I would a waiter-20%, unless I had a rude server (which has only happened to me once).

In my experience, I've only seen tip jars at take-out or non-waiter (order at the counter & bus your own food) restaurants. Admittedly, I don't always tip a tip jar at a take out place. Sometimes I do, especially if I had exceptional service, but tends to be less than 20%. Where I live though, counter service staff get paid a regular hourly wage, not like waiters or bartenders do.

And just to clear up, it was $31 pretax. I tip pretax.

so do i, i thought that was the norm. so $31 you tipped about 16% $4.96. not great but at least over 15%. I tip anyone I encounter so if I am at a bar waiting for my table and have a drink I tip that bartender plus when I am seated and I eat, drink etc I tip the waitress. I tip 25% for awesome, went out of the way service 20% for good service, 18% for ok and if worse than ok i tip according to the situation which thankfully does not happen often

I typically tip 20% of the pre-tax for most alcohol BUT ... for the record, you are not expected to tip 20% on a very expensive bottle of wine that you pour yourself. I learned this from a world-class sommelier.

Nope... wouldn't matter WHAT the drink is. The cost is the cost and the tip is a percentage of that.

Honestly, for a $34 check I would have tipped $7. 20% would have been $6.80, but I hate tipping change so I would have rounded up. That is, again, as long as the service was good.

Same here. Double the check and round up to get roughly 20 percent.

FYI - The average tip for the Ale House (Beer Bar) I work at is $1 per beer (price $4 - $5). Some type less, some type more. But it is generally $1 per beer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter