tipping mousekeeping?

dvc_bwv

Pooh Collector - BWV & VWL Member
:confused3Just returned from 9 day vacation at BWV a few weeks ago. On the day of full cleaning I was in the room waiting for hubby to come back when mousekeeping came to the room. She came in and I went back to the living room so she could go about her business.

When she was going out with a handful of used towels, etc, she stopped and thanked me for the tip. (We always leave a tip and had left it out in case we were not there.) She was very nice and we talked a bit. I was then very surprised when she told me they don't get many tips anymore, "because of the economy" is what she told me.

We learned about tipping here on the DIS and we make a point to always leave a tip. I thought everyone (or at least most people) did. I was very shocked actually. If you own DVC and can afford to take your vacations at Disney (or anywhere else for that matter) I would think you could afford a few dollars tip for the person who provides you with a clean room.

Am I wrong? Is this not being done anymore? Whatever anyone else does we will always leave a tip.

You are not wrong. When it is someone else's job to touch you, your food, or your dirty linens, then it is customary to tip them no matter how bad the economy is. If you can afford to vacation at Disney, then you can afford to give the people who clean up after you a few dollars. Also, if you are staying on Disney property, you will probably not get any towel animals in your room if you fail to leave a tip. :wave2: Hello from another PA resident!

You are not wrong. When it is someone else's job to touch you, your food, or your dirty linens, then it is customary to tip them no matter how bad the economy is. If you can afford to vacation at Disney, then you can afford to give the people who clean up after you a few dollars. Also, if you are staying on Disney property, you will probably not get any towel animals in your room if you fail to leave a tip. :wave2: Hello from another PA resident!

My sentiments exactly!!! I'm was very surprised at what I heard from mousekeeping. It's sad to think that people don't appreciate the service they get and just take it for granted. You should NEVER take anything or anyone for granted.

If you think you are entitled to the service because you have purchased DVC and pay your yearly maintenance fees you are very wrong!!! Maintenance fees are for upkeep of the material things.. furniture, carpeting, etc..... not for the service you receive from mousekeeping while you are there on vacation. Mousekeepers work very hard for little pay and should be appreciated with a tip.

DVC resorts do not get towel animals like the other resorts do. You may have a small one, or a Mickey on your bed when you check in, but they will not usually make more on service days.

As for tipping, it is a personal decision. We usually do not tip at DVC, but we also are not usually at any one resort long enough for a full cleaning and refuse any Trash & Towel services. We make our own beds, take out our own trash, do our own dishes, etc. On check out day we strip the beds, run the dishwasher before leaving the unit and take the trash out on our way.

Also, just as an FYI, Disney does not classify housekeeping as a tipped position. Guests may choose to leave a tip if they would like to, but it is not required.

:confused3Just returned from 9 day vacation at BWV a few weeks ago. On the day of full cleaning I was in the room waiting for hubby to come back when mousekeeping came to the room. She came in and I went back to the living room so she could go about her business.

When she was going out with a handful of used towels, etc, she stopped and thanked me for the tip. (We always leave a tip and had left it out in case we were not there.) She was very nice and we talked a bit. I was then very surprised when she told me they don't get many tips anymore, "because of the economy" is what she told me.

We learned about tipping here on the DIS and we make a point to always leave a tip. I thought everyone (or at least most people) did. I was very shocked actually. If you own DVC and can afford to take your vacations at Disney (or anywhere else for that matter) I would think you could afford a few dollars tip for the person who provides you with a clean room.

Am I wrong? Is this not being done anymore? Whatever anyone else does we will always leave a tip.

Hi Neighbor, We are right across the river from you in Springdale! Our 1st trip as DVC Members is right around the corner. We always tip mousekeeping also. I guess it is everyones choice, but we feel it is the right thing to do.

DVC resorts do not get towel animals like the other resorts do. You may have a small one, or a Mickey on your bed when you check in, but they will not usually make more on service days.

As for tipping, it is a personal decision. We usually do not tip at DVC, but we also are not usually at any one resort long enough for a full cleaning and refuse any Trash & Towel services. We make our own beds, take out our own trash, do our own dishes, etc. On check out day we strip the beds, run the dishwasher before leaving the unit and take the trash out on our way.

Also, just as an FYI, Disney does not classify housekeeping as a tipped position. Guests may choose to leave a tip if they would like to, but it is not required.

DVC resorts do get towel animals. In fact the mousekeeper left one for us on this last trip and we have gotten them before.

We also run the dishwasher before we leave. Even though you take out your own trash, strip the beds etc, mousekeeping was in to clean the room, put in fresh towels, makeup the beds, etc to get the room ready for you before you checked in.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone, I just feel that the service that is provided should be met with a small token of appreciation and I was surprised when I was told tips are not received much anymore.

Hi Neighbor, We are right across the river from you in Springdale! Our 1st trip as DVC Members is right around the corner. We always tip mousekeeping also. I guess it is everyones choice, but we feel it is the right thing to do.

Hi Neighbor!! Enjoy your first DVC member trip. Where do you own and where are you staying?

We have been members for 13 years, BW and VWL. You will love DVC.

I'm another who tips housekeeping. I tip just because I want to, they work so hard (yes, I know other professions do too) and a few dollars can make their day a little brighter so it's worth it.

We tip on trash and towel day (if we get it - sometimes we opt out), we tip on full cleaning day and we tip one our check out day (because they really have a lot of work to turn the room over for the next guests).

It's really a personal choice to tip or not, not a 'right or wrong'.

I also tip mouse keeping and even make cute envelopes to put it in. As a Dvc member I continued this and yes we do get towel animals. Although our past trip I did this at cbr and was there from Wednesday to Sunday. Tipped everyday. No towel animal at all I was disappointed but it is what it is. We also had issues with no coffee in the room either until we called to get some. Not all mousekeepers have time to do this sometimes.

With the time required to clean DVC villas, I'd rather they clean the villas than make towel animals. 4PM is a long time to wait when you have checked in and your villa isn't ready yet.

With the time required to clean DVC villas, I'd rather they clean the villas than make towel animals. 4PM is a long time to wait when you have checked in and your villa isn't ready yet.

Exactly, a properly cleaned villa would encourage me to consider tipping!

We don't tip unless an extra service is preformed above and beyond their paid duties. Unpacking your luggage if asked, leaving extras in your room, cleaning up after someone is sick etc.

As reported many times here on the DIS, housekeeping is a non-tipped position at Disney. Disney and the housekeepers union have decided that housekeepers get a higher wage and other benefits instead of tips. DVC housekeeping dues are millions of dollars per year.

Often people don't realize that the tipping standards may vary from hotel to hotel based on employment agreements.

Who you hand out money to is your own business.

:earsboy: Bill

Hi Neighbor!! Enjoy your first DVC member trip. Where do you own and where are you staying?

We have been members for 13 years, BW and VWL. You will love DVC.

We own @ VWL. Our membership just became active mid-September so our options for this trip were limited. After switching our ressies several times we settled on a Savanna View Studio @ Kidani Village.

We don't tip unless an extra service is preformed above and beyond their paid duties. Unpacking your luggage if asked, leaving extras in your room, cleaning up after someone is sick etc.

As reported many times here on the DIS, housekeeping is a non-tipped position at Disney. Disney and the housekeepers union have decided that housekeepers get a higher wage and other benefits instead of tips. DVC housekeeping dues are millions of dollars per year.

Often people don't realize that the tipping standards may vary from hotel to hotel based on employment agreements.

Who you hand out money to is your own business.

:earsboy: Bill

Unpacking your luggage? What do they do? Hang up your clothes?

Unpacking your luggage? What do they do? Hang up your clothes?

My thoughts exactly Debbie... I have never and would never ask them to unpack my luggage. I unpack myself, that way I know exactly where everything is when I want it.

We own @ VWL. Our membership just became active mid-September so our options for this trip were limited. After switching our ressies several times we settled on a Savanna View Studio @ Kidani Village.

You will love Kidani. We stayed there a couple years ago. I loved it. I could have stayed at the resort the whole time and never gone to a park. I enjoyed sitting on the balcony just watching the animals in the savannah.

question: since they don't do daily service, how much do you tip? if it varies, what factors do you weigh?

question: since they don't do daily service, how much do you tip? if it varies, what factors do you weigh?

Even though they don't do daily service we still tip at least $1 per person per day on trash & towel day, full cleaning day and the day we leave. Example, 4 days from check in to t&t for 2 people, we leave $8. We count the days between service and tip accordingly.

We usually tip on trash and towel day and when we leave.

However, a few times, we have left a few dollars on trash and towel day, and it was not taken. We left it under the card with the mousekeeper's name. I thought it was clear that it was meant to be taken.

Maybe, they didn't see it.

We just returned from our first DVC stay (it was AWESOME) :cool1:

I wasn't sure how to tip. In the past, we have left tips each day for mousekeeping. I ended up leaving $5 on day 4, $5 on day 8 and another $5 on day 9 when we checked out. I will say, our room was well stocked with towels, toiletries and coffee after mouskeeping visited!

After reading some of these posts, I wonder if there was something specific we were supposed to do before checkout? Are we supposed to strip the beds and run the dishwasher before leaving?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter