Tipping Kid's Counselors Advice???

PURTYPAT1

DIS Veteran
NEED HELP ON THIS. WILL BE ON A 3 DAY CRUISE NOV 4, 04

MY DD IS 10 SHE WILL BE IN THE KIDS CLUB. DO I HAVE TIP THE KIDS COUNSELORS?

IF SO HOW MUCH & HOW MANY COUNSELORS ARE THERE TO TIP?

ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP.

------------------------------------------------------------

FAITH FULLY TRAVELED TO DISNEY FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS:

WDW 1994 THRU 2004

"FUTURE" DISNEY TRIPS:

DCL 11/04/04

WDW 02/19/05

I believe they are not allowed to accept money - We gave out phone cards - The couselor about fainted! She really appreciated it - My husband couldn't believe it - He said to me "boy, these phone cards are like gold to them!"

KAITLINSMOM, WHAT A "GREAT IDEAL" PHONE CARDS IT WILL BE.

HOW MANY COUNSELORS ARE THERE?

MANY THANKS

The kid counsellors are not allowed to accept cash tips. Officially, they have to refuse 3 times before they accept anything (I've heard, not verified this one).

There are about 12 counsellors in each area (club, lab). I ask my daughter if there are one or two who were special. I then give them a small envelope with a thank you note, telling them what DD said about them, and enclosing some sort of gift--most popular are phone cards, Target or Wal-mart gift cards. These are the 2 stores that the crew bus takes them to when they are in port...phone cards enable them to call home. We frequently enclose a note or drawing from DD also.

Please note that the kid counsellors are reasonably paid (by US standards), and tipping is NOT expected.
Kathryn

I think the "three times" rumor was debunked by chipandaleexpress over on the Transportation board. But we like to use phone cards and Florida lottery tickets for the non-tipped positions. We typically put them in thank you cards that we drop off at Guest Services, so they've never been refused.
Barb

Just a quick lesson from my experience - I waited until my son checked out of the club (late) on the last night. Most of the counselors he wanted me to thank had finished their shift (and left). I left the notes (and phone cards) at the desk, but my son really wanted to say goodbye...we should have talked to them earlier in the night.
Barb

We just sailed on the June 5th Western Magic and tipped the Oceaneers Club and Flounders both with cash. They accepted it with much thanks.

I hadn't heard anything about them not being allowed to take cash as this was our third cruise and we have always tipped them with cash. The CMs from the Club in individual envelopes and the Flounders CMs in one envelope.

The CM from the Flounders nursery told me that in the nursery they all pool their tips and split them at the end of the cruise.

We probably would have purchased gift cards or something else if I had known about the cash rule. Where is that written anyways? Always learning something new!

Thanks

I tipped in cash and phone cards when my DD stayed in Flounders. No one said nothing about not being able to accept them.

That's good that they pool the tips and split between everyone. They are all so nice and great and deserve the extra money.

I didn't know about the gift cards for Walmart and Target. I'll be looking into them now. One question, how much money do you put on a gift card? Also, does anyone know how many CMs are in Flounder's? Usually I just buy the big pack of phone cards from Costco or Sam's Club, but if I'm going to buy gift cards, then I want to make sure I have enough for everone.

Thanks,

Reneé

There are usually 5 counselors in Flounders, 10 counselors in the 3-4s and 5-7, and 8 counselors in the 8-9s and 10-12s. These numbers do change frequently, but that's a guide.

Cash tips are accepted by all at Flounders, the Club, the Lab and the Stack, but pooled by all at the end of the cruise and then split equally. If you would like a counselor to keep what you give them, then a phone card or Walmart gift card is a better choice.

Like someone said earlier, tips are NOT expected by the counselors. Don't feel obligated in any way to provide them.

Robyn

We actually purchased 10 $10.00 gift cards for the counselors for my kids, 9 and 10. Actually we left home and forgot them on the counter. Good thing, cause I didn't find too many of the counselors to be worthy of any additional tips or perks. They didn't provide anything special for my kids and frankly, my kids were bored going there and didn't spend much time in the club at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter