Tipping for Infant?

my3m

DIS Veteran
Family of 5 and our youngest is 20 months old. Is she also going to be included for the tipping?

TIA

Family of 5 and our youngest is 20 months old. Is she also going to be included for the tipping?

TIA

I am sure there are many opinions out there on this, but imho, yes she will be included. At dinner, you will find that your waiters bend over backwards to keep the youngest diners happy and entertained. And in my experience, our rooms were much messier and more time consuming to clean when my kids were younger.

Yes, every passenger regardless of age uses the services in some form and is to be included in tipping. Diaper genie, linens and towels, food etc all included.

Oh, you are going to get lots of opinions on this topic but here's my 2 cents worth.

Having travelled with an 18 month old and realizing the amount of work that they require, I definitely included her in the tipping. My room steward had to deal with a diaper genie, extra garbage, putting the pack & play up and down and working around a stroller in the room (I didn't know the tip about putting the stroller in the bathtub). And still taking care of 3 adults and another 6 y.o. (we were in a 1 bedroom suite).

As for tipping our servers in the dining room, they went the extra mile in making sure she had everything she needed - bringing her extra straws when that seemed to keep her amused, filling up her sippy cup, etc.

So, yes, I definitely included her in the tipping.

Happy Cruisin'!!

It is highly recommended that you do tip for your 20 month old. She will definitely receive as much attention that you receive, if not more. I don't have specific experience with a small toddler, but this topic has come up many times and hopefully you will get an answer from someone who does have experience with it. I'm sure they will go out of their way and be 100% with your daughter and make her feel just as special as they will make you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kat

Duh!!! Now I realize "of course". You are all very correct. Having an infant in our room and to be served in the dining room is really double the work.

Thank you all.

In addition to the extra work your server and assistant server will do to keep her happy and satisfied...and to clean up after her, she will be occupying a spot at their serving station. If she were not there, it is likely that your seating arrangement would be different to allow them to have the full 18 guests at their station. Thus, they would be receiving tips from another guest.

For your room steward--definitely. They will be doing A LOT more work because there is an infant/toddler in the room.

My teenager is messy now, but not nearly as "yucky" as she was at times as an infant.....

I've seen two above posts referring to a diaper genie. Do you guys bring your diaper genie or is there one in the room.

I appreciate everybody's advice. It is hard when you have three kids to shell out the tips, but they do make more of a mess than I do.:lmao:

It is hard when you have three kids to shell out the tips, but they do make more of a mess than I do.:lmao:

I know those tips seem to really add up, but when you see how much work the room stewards and the dining staff put in, it is a lot easier to tip them according to guidelines and most likely above.

We had a Cat. 3 Handicapped suite and the tip guideline was the same as if we had a much smaller Cat. 12. I more than doubled the tip because our steward cleaned more than twice the room (including two full-size bathrooms.)

I've seen two above posts referring to a diaper genie. Do you guys bring your diaper genie or is there one in the room.

I appreciate everybody's advice. It is hard when you have three kids to shell out the tips, but they do make more of a mess than I do.:lmao:

You ask the room steward for it and they will set it up. Some will do it automatically when they see there is an infant or toddler in the room.

I admit I for a split second thougt this question as well, but then as others have said, the MESS they make in your home not just daily, but hourly and that crazy mess they leave behind when you go to restuarants.:lmao: It's heartily worthy of tipping. We always tip at restarants MORE when we have our toddler w/ us. It's far more work despite they aren't eating much. They mess wherever they go.:thumbsup2 God love 'em. :faint:

You ask the room steward for it and they will set it up. Some will do it automatically when they see there is an infant or toddler in the room.
COOL!

you should tip the full amount for her. small children generate a great deal of extra work on the part of the housekeeping staff and even other staff as well.

dirty diapers, crumbs ground into the carpet of the stateroom etc.

We took a 4 month old on our last cruise.

We tipped over and above to our stateroom host..that is over and above including the full recommended tip for the baby. He took care of the diaper genie (twice a day, boy do I miss that...:rotfl:) and the pack and play and helped keep our room in order (picked up toys, etc.) SO he certainly deserved a full tip, including the baby as a "person" in my opinion.

As far as dining room service goes, our baby was too young to need anything in the dining room, as she was not eating solid food yet. She slept through most dinners in fact. Our plan was to tip a "reduced" amount for the baby, about halfway a recommended tip for an adult. However we had great service and ended up giving the full tip anyway.

Basically what you decide to tip is entirely up to you. I would say before you leave PLAN as if you were going to pay the full tip for the toddler and then if you feel the service does not warrant the need for a full tip, then you can certianly lower the amount as you see fit. However I can tell you with a 20 month old, they will certainly receive service and food in the dining room and stateroom (and in my humble opinion should recieve a full tip!)

Hope you have a wonderful cruise! :goodvibes

He took care of the diaper genie (twice a day, boy do I miss that...:rotfl:)

I'd settle for DH taking it out twice a WEEK. :rotfl:

Yeah if anything, the more I think about it, servers and especially stateroom hosts deserve MORE for the littlest ones. I'll be sure to tip higher. :thumbsup2

Our son was 6 months when we took him on our cruise. We tipped the same as if he had been an adult AND we tipped the ladies at Flounders. It's not suggested to tip the folks at Flounders but they did such a great job and deserved to be tipped

Kids are a LOT of work - I also agree to tip the full amount for a baby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter