Tipping for Cabana Host on Castaway Cay?

We have had a concierge trip twice and a cabana on SB both times. The first time there was no one to help us so no tip. Second time we had an awesome host (not the concierge staff) and we tipped him $20. Not once did we need to use the call button because I didn't mind walking but he always saw me heading back and gave me a lift...we had cabana 25.

The SB host is not a Concierge member. They seem to just randomly assign a cast member to handle those 4 cabanas, as they don't really seem to have any idea what they are doing. They don't answer pages. Half the time they're not to be found anywhere. They don't check up on the cabanas at any point in the day. They just are there, apparently, to make sure you have a wristband on, and they don't even do that, given that we had friends come up to our cabana last time for a while and nobody said a word.,

Agreed, and it may not have played a part in the lack of service we received. I can see how concierge hosts would feel more pressure to tend to concierge guests when their stateroom tips for the week could be impacted by lack of service on CC though. Again, it may not be a factor, just saying I can see how it could be.

I can see that being a factor. Each time we've had a family cabana we were sailing concierge and the service was excellent.

I did reach out to customer service after our second cabana rental. I gave compliments to the bar staff and the buffet staff and told of our experience with the cabana staff. I got a very polite blow off of, "we are so happy to hear our staff took care of your needs."

Well boo. I guess I plan on being disappointed when we rent cabana 25 in a few weeks.
I don't ask for much but it would be nice if someone checked on me and offered drinks for the price we are paying.
I guess better to know now than later.
If they do nothing for us, there will be no tip.

Well boo. I guess I plan on being disappointed when we rent cabana 25 in a few weeks.
I don't ask for much but it would be nice if someone checked on me and offered drinks for the price we are paying.
I guess better to know now than later.
If they do nothing for us, there will be no tip.
Honestly, if there isn't any support you had better hit the shore excursion or guest services desk. Maybe get a part of your cost refunded. If I spent the money on a cabana, and foundit poorly stocked, or a lack of a competent or any attendant I would be quite displeased.

Going to be in our 1st Cabana in April, now im scared about the service!

Are you on the family beach or serenity bay? It seems like the lack of service is typically on serenity bay, where there is no concierge host but just a random guy assigned to "help". We have had a cabana twice on the family beach and we have always seen the host regularly, whether we summoned them or not, and have always had every request met.

Don't be afraid about the service. Talk to the person at the cabana check-in if on the family beach or find someone at SB and let them know. You could always ask guest services ahead of time about your concerns.

Sorry, but we were concierge and had a cabana on the family beach and couldn't have gotten worse service. The host we had was also one of the concierge hosts and could not be found no matter how many times we pushed the button. He came and said hi in the morning and then we were left to ourselves. I saw and talked to the lifeguard more! Finally saw him again when we were heading back to the ship and he acted all surprised to still see us. Needless to say he did not get a tip for his lack of service.

We have always had a great experience on the family beach cabanas and the concierge team was the hosts. We were staying concierge so we tipped at the end.

The one cruise that was just my husband and I back last summer, we did the adult beach cabana and never hardly saw anyone. The man that checked us in was not a concierge host (we were staying concierge so I know who they were) but he was the host of the adult beach cabanas. We never saw him at all but it seemed he had a lot of jobs on the adult beach. Totally different experience then being at the family beach.

Last cruise, they were having issues with the call buttons in the cabanas so the concierge team yet running between cabanas to check on everyone.

Sorry, but we were concierge and had a cabana on the family beach and couldn't have gotten worse service. The host we had was also one of the concierge hosts and could not be found no matter how many times we pushed the button. He came and said hi in the morning and then we were left to ourselves. I saw and talked to the lifeguard more! Finally saw him again when we were heading back to the ship and he acted all surprised to still see us. Needless to say he did not get a tip for his lack of service.

We had the same experience both times - once as concierge and once as steerage. I ran out of diet cokes in my cabana and started to raid the empty cabanas later in the day when people left. No one checked on us or answered the bell.

Reading this, I am concerned at the number of people who seem to have had poor service at the cabanas. For me, one of the selling points was that you have a host/hostess in case you need anything. Now I have no idea what we might need that we wouldn't be able to get for ourselves but it is worrying that these people don't seem to be fulfilling the role that I thought they were there to fulfill. I guess there could be reasons, such as another family being super demanding or something, but it is still concerning that the service you should be able to expect doesn't seem to be there - or, at the least, is inconsistent. Just wondering if anybody has gone so far as to complain to guest services if they found their host/hostess lacking?

Yup....complained on the ship and was pretty much told that since we actually used the cabana there was nothing they could do for us. We had a lot of issues beyond lack of a concierge host to assist us though. We had half-rotten fruit, used sunscreen products, a shower that didn't work, 2 bags of chips in the snack basket, people who I did not know charged to the cabana and some other mishaps. I contacted DCL via email with photos when I got home and was refunded the entire cost.

Maybe I should have complained. Saw the host first thing in the morning and never again. No refill of the empty cokes - nada. That said I was glad to have the shade when needed. I won't be doing it again. Wasn't worth what I paid.

We were non-concierge (and on our very first DCL cruise) and we lucked into a cabana. The cabana (as in the structure) was fantastic. It will be hard to go back to Castaway Cay without one. That being said, the weakest element was the service. We saw the cabana staff only twice (though we got our cokes restocked easily). We left a $20 tip for 5 people. We had hoped they would have been more present (or more responsive to the button) to get bar service for us, to remove dirty dishes, and to cart us to and fro and bit more. What they did was fine, but they clearly need more staff.

Crap. This has me worried for our cabana next week. We're in #25 on SB. Not in concierge either. This was our one splurge for the trip and all my mother can talk about. If the service ends up like the experiences here we're going to be ridiculously disappointed.

Are you on the family beach or serenity bay? It seems like the lack of service is typically on serenity bay, where there is no concierge host but just a random guy assigned to "help". We have had a cabana twice on the family beach and we have always seen the host regularly, whether we summoned them or not, and have always had every request met.

Family Beach I think cabana 20

Going to be in our 1st Cabana in April, now im scared about the service!

We did not have poor service, we just didn't have any service after we checked in and were directed to our cabana. We were not concierge and I definitely wondered if that made a difference; as others have mentioned there is probably "pressure" to keep those guest happier. With that being said we still enjoyed the cabana and will always try to get one, even if the "dedicated service" they advertise is missing. On the other side of things I can definitely see where people would be upset because based on the description from the website:

During your visit to Disney's Castaway Cay, bask in the luxury and privacy of a deluxe beach retreat along Family Beach. Each well-appointed cabana is furnished with comfortable seating, a beverage refrigerator, safe, ceiling fan, plush towels and sunscreen. Outside on the patio, luxurious chaise lounge chairs, a freshwater shower, hammock and sailcloth shade are yours to enjoy amid spectacular offshore views. Fresh fruit and snacks are included along with complimentary bottled water and soft drinks. Dedicated beverage service is provided and alcoholic beverage packages are available for purchase onboard at an additional cost. Additionally, each cabana includes use of snorkeling equipment, floats, sand toys, and one hour of bike rental.

Crap. This has me worried for our cabana next week. We're in #25 on SB. Not in concierge either. This was our one splurge for the trip and all my mother can talk about. If the service ends up like the experiences here we're going to be ridiculously disappointed.

I don't think the SB cabana hosts know if you are concierge or not so that is not a factor. There was a CM that walks the beach to order drinks from the bar. #25 is not that far from the buffet, bathrooms or the bar.

We did not have poor service, we just didn't have any service after we checked in and were directed to our cabana. We were not concierge and I definitely wondered if that made a difference; as others have mentioned there is probably "pressure" to keep those guest happier. With that being said we still enjoyed the cabana and will always try to get one, even if the "dedicated service" they advertise is missing. On the other side of things I can definitely see where people would be upset because based on the description from the website:

During your visit to Disney's Castaway Cay, bask in the luxury and privacy of a deluxe beach retreat along Family Beach. Each well-appointed cabana is furnished with comfortable seating, a beverage refrigerator, safe, ceiling fan, plush towels and sunscreen. Outside on the patio, luxurious chaise lounge chairs, a freshwater shower, hammock and sailcloth shade are yours to enjoy amid spectacular offshore views. Fresh fruit and snacks are included along with complimentary bottled water and soft drinks. Dedicated beverage service is provided and alcoholic beverage packages are available for purchase onboard at an additional cost. Additionally, each cabana includes use of snorkeling equipment, floats, sand toys, and one hour of bike rental.

No where does that say they wait on you hand and foot. You still get a lot for your money..imo.

We have had a cabana both ways- concierge and not. Each time we were checked in, given a brief overview of amenities and then left to enjoy the day. Both times we used the buzzer-first time the safe didn't work and they sent someone to fix and second for drinks. Each time they responded in a reasonable amount of time. The beverage attendant made two trips to us because they didn't have the scotch my husband ordered and wanted to check with him first as to what to bring. We were not concierge that time. So, we were happy with the service. Not sure I would want someone to be checking in with me often or at all. I enjoy the peacefulness of having the cabana and know if I ring for something they will come. I agree- you get a lot for your money and we use the cabana as our excursion for the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter