Tipping for a hair cut

You must work in the hair business to tip that much. I tip $4.00 on a $12.00 haircut
I wish. No, I just like the stylistists there - they do it right every time and don't waste time gabbing. I will pay extra for something I'm really happy with.

Yeah, I am with you, I think the whole tipping thing has gotten out of hand. I obviously understand at a restaurant because the servers make $2.13 an hour and LIVE off the tips (plus they usually have to tip out too). So of course I will tip 20%. But a hairdresser? All the hairdressers I know get approx. 50% of the cost of the cut. So for a $150 cut, the house gets $75 and the stylist gets $75. I don't mind tipping 10%- so $15- because usually those types of styles take 2-3 hours and I want to make it worth their while. But to tip 20%? WTH? It's not like they are getting paid $2.13 an hour, they are getting paid a TON more than that. I don't get why tipping 20% to stylists have been the expectation instead of a "tip". Anyone care to explain? Thanks!

And I'm even worse. I tip $1 per kid for a $9 cut and $3 for my cut. My friend has a "salon" in her garage so there's no overhead for her. She's charges $15.00.

I can understand the tipping when eating out because wait people get paid less than minimum wage, but aren't hair stylist on a commission or they rent their booth so they set their own prices? What about people at places like Supercuts? Are they hourly? I didn't think they got paid less than minimum wage, so why are some people tipping 50%? That is crazy for a cheap cut. If I could tip that much, I'd go to a better salon to get a better cut.

I just don't understand this whole thing about tipping. If they need more money, just charge more for the cut. Kind of like the whole ebay shipping fees that have gotten out of hand.

The majority does not tip 20%. Yes, I do have clients that do tip 20% or more , but not many. I've read what most of you tip, and pretty much what you are giving is a good tip! I've been a hairstylist for 20 years.

The person I go to is a co-owner of the shop-2 stylists, both are owners. I usually tip $2-3 on my $13 haircut (usually just a trim). Should I not tip because she's an owner?

My personal reasons for tipping above what's considered "the norm" are that first it takes a long time to do my hair. My hair is very thick, and the same cut and color/highlight that might take an hour on one person takes close to 2 hours on me. She really takes the time to discuss options, colors, gives suggestions, tries new techniques, etc. She doesn't charge me extra (I know many shops do charge more for thick or long hair). Secondly I give what I'm comfortable with and I'm not at all opposed to giving her 30% or more for a job I feel is very well done, and that no one else has been able to match.
I think alot of the whole tipping issue comes down to personal preference.

My haircut price is usually between 40-50 for a cut and wash. I tip at least $15-20 each time. Then again I am a dog groomer and also get tipped and appreciate people doing so. Just the other day I received $20 tip on a $55 haircut. Usually its $5-10

"Well, then, I am pathetic, as I only tip $5 on a $40 haircut! I never knew what to do, because this is a girl in her own shop, and she is the only one that works there. I always heard you're not supposed to tip the owner, so I never knew how much to tip. If I'm "supposed" to tip nothing, I thought $5 was good. Oh well."

You are right. You do not tip the stylist if they own the shop.

Then why do they take a tip if they aren't supposed to? I had my hair done for a while by a salon owner and she never turned away my tips.

Yeah, I am with you, I think the whole tipping thing has gotten out of hand. I obviously understand at a restaurant because the servers make $2.13 an hour and LIVE off the tips (plus they usually have to tip out too). So of course I will tip 20%. But a hairdresser? All the hairdressers I know get approx. 50% of the cost of the cut. So for a $150 cut, the house gets $75 and the stylist gets $75. I don't mind tipping 10%- so $15- because usually those types of styles take 2-3 hours and I want to make it worth their while. But to tip 20%? WTH? It's not like they are getting paid $2.13 an hour, they are getting paid a TON more than that. I don't get why tipping 20% to stylists have been the expectation instead of a "tip". Anyone care to explain? Thanks!

I know a girl who is a hairstylist and all her tips usually go back into paying shampoo fees and other misc fees to the salon. Say she does a $30 cut and gets $15.00. She might have to pay a 5-8 fee back to the salon for using product.(shampoo etc). Plus she needs to buy alot of tools and keep them maintained. Getting 50% on a cut doesn't mean the salon isn't charging for things right back.

Just like me(dog groomer) I get 50% of a haircut costing $50.00. It takes 90 minutes to do. I need to buy ear powder, ribbon, collar bows,blades,clippers, scissors, repair my items, sharpen my things. I buy new clippers every six months($150),Dryer filters ($15 month), Sharpening ($50-at least every other month), new scissors every year or two ($400-1000), Mini clippers once a year ($100), Blades once a year($200-300), Powder $8 month, Ribbon +misc finishing touches ($30-90 month depending on what holiday is happening), Repairs on my dryer and checkups on equiptment usually run about $300 year, Finishing sprays & coat conditioners $30-50 month, Replace brushes/combs $80 year, Even dog treats run around $20 month. I have alot of expenses and almost every tip goes to help pay for these things. People think I make a ton of money, but once you take out my monthly expenses its like WOW.

Then why do they take a tip if they aren't supposed to? I had my hair done for a while by a salon owner and she never turned away my tips.

Maybe that is something you should ask her. Just as you wouldn't tip a restaurant owner, it is customary not to tip a salon owner.

I know I am not the only one who thinks the whole tipping thing has gotten out of control. I had my first tattoo done yesterday. I had no idea that I would be expected to tip the tattoo artist. What is the reason for that? I feel pressure at every turn to tip people. I am sooo confused as to what is proper ettiquette and who is just looking for an easy handout.

I tip my stylist - who also owns the salon. I wouldn't feel right not tipping her.

I did find this on the web (http://www.ehow.com/how_1979_tip-hairstylist.html):

Usually, the tip is cash and slipped to the service provider separately from the bill paid to the owner or cashier, so have some smaller bills on hand. In a fancy shop, you can add the tip to the bill and let them know how to split it.

Tradition dictates that one does not tip a salon's owner, who may charge more for his or her services and therefore will refuse a tip. But these days, more and more owners are accepting tips. The best solution? Consult the receptionist to find out whether the owner accept tips.

I should add that I just paid $100 for highlights, lo-lights and a trim and I gave my stylist a $20 tip. I usually tip 20% when I am happy, maybe a little less if she didn't really do what I asked.

I wish I could find places that charged as little as some of the salons you all have mentioned. I can't get out under 80$ for single process color and trim. I used to pay $120 for highlights/foil and trim. AND I cried when I went to a salon in the city and they charged $200! for highlights and cut. (I don't think I tipped for the 200$ service I was so upset/shocked/angry. NO haircut in my opinion is worth that much on my head.
I now tip 12$ for the 80$ bill. Plus 2$ for the washer.
DH says "they" charge that because us 'women' will pay it. Hmmm, if I could find someone to charge me 15$ a cut - I'm there! Just tell me where to go.
I also crew cut my own kid's hair. 20$ for the clippers and they get me through almost a years worth of cuts on 2 boys heads. And I say to DH, "where's my tip?"

p.s. don't know if Im grey or not because I haven't seen my natural color in 25years!:lmao:

It costs 100.00 for color highlights and another 40.00 for the stylist who both receive 20% tip. For me its worth it to know that my hair will look great and will be just the way I want since it is too hard to find a great stylist or colorist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter