Tipping delivery people

NYCDiane

DIS Veteran
I know this has probably been discussed a zillion times but here we go again......

I'm purchasing a new stove (small apt size stove) and it will be delivered. I'm guessing it will be two deliverymen. What is an appropriate tip?

I always do around $20 for big appliances. Maybe more if they hook it up or remove the old one.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I've always just said thank you very much as they left. Never occurred to me to tip. Then again, I think tipping is way out of hand. Do you tip UPS when they deliver a large package?

I don't tip delivery people either. If they did something "spectacular" as part of the delivery - then that is a whole different situation.

No one tips me to "do my job" either.

Never have heard of anyone tipping in any area we have ever lived in. Too many places to tip as it is, not starting another one. We always offer soft drinks/water and a very pleasant *thank you*. Feel like that's enough.

I do tip, mostly when I feel like a job was well done & was impressed with the service. We recently purchased a new fridge, at over 50% off. Lowes had free delivery, & if wanted, free haul away. They removed the handles off both fridges as to not ding my door ways OR the fridge handles, removed my front screen door & were nice, helpful & waited while I cleaned out where the fridge had been probably for 10 years since it had been put it (ewww gross!)
but they were patient while I got in there and scrubbed it a bit. They also moved my old fridge to the garage, oh & did I mention I have a home daycare so there were IDK, 6-8 curious little guys looking & asking them their names & saying "hi, bye" everytime they came in & out (which was a lot!):rotfl: When they were done, (all of 45minutes, maybe an hour) I gave them a $20 bill & said lunch was on me today. I just appreciate kindness, hard work & I saved $1300 off a $2600 fridge....Pay it forward! If you can.... Just my thoughts!;)

I have never tipped for delivery of an appliance or furniture. We pay a delivery/set up fee so I never tip for either service. I think tipping is out of hand too. I see tip jars everywhere now. I mean....before long...we will be tipping at fast food places and grocery stores... for workers to ring up our food. :rolleyes1

I have never tipped for delivery of an appliance or furniture. We pay a delivery/set up fee so I never tip for either service. I think tipping is out of hand too. I see tip jars everywhere now. I mean....before long...we will be tipping at fast food places and grocery stores... for workers to ring up our food. :rolleyes1

I wouldn't be surprised at grocery stores since at most of them you actually can check yourself out!

I don't usually tip appliance delivery as there is usually a delivery charge and hookup charge already applied. If they did something special, like move stuff around in my garage or do something extra beyond delivery and hookup, then I would tip.

I know this has probably been discussed a zillion times.....,

Yes, it has. Try doing a search; you'll find many discussions already.

Some tip, some don't. I tip $10 for an appliance delivery. I have lived all over the US; tipping delivery people isn't a regional thing.

I believe in "spreading the wealth." Delivery people work hard. They aren't sharing in the profit of your appliance sale.

Agree 100%

They're delivering the stove (again, small apt stove about 130lbs) and taking out the old one. I'm thinking they're going to put it on a dolly, bring it in, take the old one out on a dolly. They're not doing any installation or hookup.

I was thinking $10?

They're delivering the stove (again, small apt stove about 130lbs) and taking out the old one. I'm thinking they're going to put it on a dolly, bring it in, take the old one out on a dolly. They're not doing any installation or hookup.

I was thinking $10?

I always make sure to have a bunch of $5's on me when I'm having something delivered. I usually tips $10 - $20 total, depending upon how long it takes, how difficult it seems, and their attitude. I don't know of anyone here who doesn't tip for appliance/furniture delivery.

I was thinking $10?

if they don't have to install a plug on it like you have to on a regular sized range then $10 is probably fine for your small range. I did $20 plus drinks for the regular sized range. It took about 30 minutes with two guys. I'm guessing one guy can handle the small stove.

Problem solved: They delivered the stove about an hour ago. They zipped in, dropped off the new stove, gave me the paper to sign, one guy picked up the old one, and they zipped out. Didn't even give me time to give them a tip! By the time I turned to get the money, they were gone!! I think they were running late. They were supposed to be to me between 12-1 and they didn't get to me until after 130. Oh well.

I always make sure to have a bunch of $5's on me when I'm having something delivered. I usually tips $10 - $20 total, depending upon how long it takes, how difficult it seems, and their attitude. I don't know of anyone here who doesn't tip for appliance/furniture delivery.

Me too. Generally 10-20 PP depending on the level of effort.

And for the person who asked about UPS - we do a lot of online shopping and have the same guy generally. We also do a monthly wine club which requires a signature- he's great about leaving his number if we're not there and coming back when it works for us. We tip him once a year at Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter