Tipping concierge

cnj

Mouseketeer
Okay, so I am a little naive about what to tip our concierge. I do not want to start any debates just get some info. We leave on Sunday and I want to make sure we do the right thing. Two out of our other three cruises we have doubled everyone's tips (my friends hate going out with me ;)) and sometimes left extra. But I do not know what to leave concierge. Please help!

Thank you!

Jenni

This answer can obviously vary quite a bit. We usually tip them similar to what we tip the server and the stateroom host. Normally we tip the stateroom host a good deal above the recommended because a suite is so much more area to clean. If we have requested a lot of the concierge we tip them similar to our server as these two positions are the CMs that we see the most and the ones that have the most direct effect on our cruise experience.

I was wondering the very same thing. We have a 4 night coming up and I am not sure how to handle that. We aren't going to have a cabanna or anything which I had planned to tip extra for if we did choose that route...

Same amount as you would stateroom host? Would you do a per person thing or just a flat fee type thing. I know the whole "how much you call on them" thing... and we are not needy, however, they are still there in case just like the food servers.

On the classic ships you can account for your tips to 2 people and the service is almost more personal in a way since there is not a lounge. On the Dream/Fantasy it is a 3 person concierge team, and I am lead to believe that they split the tip three ways. As there is a a lounge they have shifts when one or two concierge staff would be in the lounge and we would hardly call the concierge phone as we could just walk to the lounge to talk to them about our requests. We have tried asking before but unless you are a CM it is always so hard to know these answers but we were told they split the tip on the new ships. So we accounted for this and it seems fair as we used had interactions with all three of the staff. Oh and on a side note consider tipping the bartender if you partake in cocktail hour.

Historical background--this was a "non-tipped" position for many years. So many people were asking about tipping the concierge that they changed it to "at your discretion." The concierges are paid decently--they don't depend on tips for nearly their whole income the way servers do.

I would base the tip on what they did for me. If I got no special services--minimal or no tip. If I made requests, they got me reservations, beverages (maybe I asked for certain ones), or whatever, then I'd tip.

I FULLY agree that the stateroom hosts in a suite should get double the "normal" tip. They do a lot more cleaning--more space, more bathrooms, kitchen area, etc.

Oh my DW and I wish we had this problem....we could never afford this but love dreaming about it!

You both have been very helpful. I have only gone concierge when tipping was optional.

As for the stateroom host in a suite... we do tip very well as it is a double room even if we are pretty clean.

Question about the bartender during happy hour, is there a tip jar there for that or is it the same person?

Do they give you envelopes with the different concierge names on them? Or do you give one lump sum and they split it?

Thank you everyone.

We didn't see a tip jar, DH just handed him a few dollars a drink. Drinks are included in concierge and it only seemed fair as if we were ordering drinks at the other bars they would aut-gratuity anyhow. Plus if he did not have what you wanted just talk to him and he can either get it or he can be prepared at the next happy hour. They put up and tear down the bar setup for each happy hour so they will definitely try to accommodate your needs. He seemed really appreciative as well. It is one tip envelope just says "concierge" just like the other tip envelopes say "stateroom host" or "server" , we noticed that on the actual tip ticket/receipt there is one specific name but we were told it was split between them. SO one lump sum split.

We are on the wonder, so it should just be one concierge for our family. We will be ordering in our room a couple of nights, even if it will be just creme brûlée. I would also like more water. Oh, and one more palo night if it is available. Hmmm, that wold be it. I like to think we are pretty go with the flow. We will definitely be at least doubling the stateroom hosts tips. We do this anyway. I guess what I was wondering to be exact is if I double everybody's tips, do I tip the concierge this as well? Based on tipping them like a server, it kind of seems excessive, but I do not know.

Well if you feel like you are not using them much it is all up to you how much to tip. Since we use them a lot this is what we do. If you don't then 5-10 dollars per day should be reasonable. Really only you can decide this.

We are on the wonder, so it should just be one concierge for our family. We will be ordering in our room a couple of nights, even if it will be just creme brûlée. I would also like more water. Oh, and one more palo night if it is available. Hmmm, that wold be it. I like to think we are pretty go with the flow. We will definitely be at least doubling the stateroom hosts tips. We do this anyway. I guess what I was wondering to be exact is if I double everybody's tips, do I tip the concierge this as well? Based on tipping them like a server, it kind of seems excessive, but I do not know.

Once again, I'd look at what they did for you and how many of you there are.

Lauren--you are amazingly kind. The tip for the bartender is a great thought.

On the Dream/Fantasy it is a 3 person concierge team, and I am lead to believe that they split the tip three ways. .

Thank you for you detailed posts. And your confirmation that they pool tips. I feel that may not translate to the best service, but that is IMHO.

You have shared more info than anyone related to concierge. Also, you continue to participate and answer follow up inquires well after your sail date. :worship:
Detailed specifics regarding concierge are not easily obtained. It's reassuring to many I'm sure, that your here to provide details few can.
:thumbsup2
I will be listening and "Fantasy" izying. ;)

Back to OP ? I always find it interesting why folks on these boards, and in general, are reluctant to post actual #'s. I will share my #'s regarding tips for concierge. Minimum $ 0 , Maximum $300 . Helpful, isn't it? :rotfl2: It is difficult for a Diser to apply a definitive # to concierge tip. As PP indicate many variables exists and should be factored. Which ship, lounge usage, requests, did they book three Palo brunches, and four Palo dinners for you? etc. :lmao:

Anyway, I would leave at least $50 max $ 200 FWIW. Without any obnoxious requests. ;)

HTH

Back to OP ? I always find it interesting why folks on these boards, and in general, are reluctant to post actual #'s. I will share my #'s regarding tips for concierge. Minimum $ 0 , Maximum $300 . Helpful, isn't it? :rotfl2: It is difficult for a Diser to apply a definitive # to concierge tip. As PP indicate many variables exists and should be factored. Which ship, lounge usage, requests, did they book three Palo brunches, and four Palo dinners for you? etc. :lmao:

Anyway, I would leave at least $50 max $ 200 FWIW. Without any obnoxious requests. ;)

HTH

Actually, that is helpful. Thank you! I just wanted a number to work with. :thumbsup2

We tipped $80.- or $100.-

Also tipped our stateroom host $100.-. He was always working and saw him morning, afternoon, and night.

Historical background--this was a "non-tipped" position for many years. So many people were asking about tipping the concierge that they changed it to "at your discretion." The concierges are paid decently--they don't depend on tips for nearly their whole income the way servers.

FYI I am friends with someone who was concierge manger during the non-tipped/tipped switch over.

I eluded to the fact that did Disney adjust his wage when it became a tipped position, and the answer was yes. Having never worked in a tipped position before, I got the impression that he found the new situation fairly awkward.

As for the amount their wage was altered by; I have no idea. I would never discuss actual salary terms with my friend. But I can tell you the winner in all this was likely Disney, as they are now saving some of the cost of the salary.

We tipped $80.- or $100.-

Also tipped our stateroom host $100.-. He was always working and saw him morning, afternoon, and night.

What was the length of the cruise? And was it on a classic or new ship? Did you make extensive concierge use?

When quoting dollar amounts for tips, it helps if readers know the number of guests and the length of the cruise.

Example--a tip of $100 is generous for a stateroom host from a family of 4 on a 3 night cruise. The same tip is less than "standard" from the same family on a 7 night cruise.

When quoting dollar amounts for tips, it helps if readers know the number of guests and the length of the cruise.

Example--a tip of $100 is generous for a stateroom host from a family of 4 on a 3 night cruise. The same tip is less than "standard" from the same family on a 7 night cruise.

We gave the concierge a $300 tip for our family of 5 on a 7 night MR on the Wonder last year. He was outstanding & went out of his way to make our cruise magical in every way.:cool1:

We also gave $300 for a family of 5 for a 7night cruise...we felt that was a fair amount for exemplary service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter