• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping & Buffets

katieandemismom

DIS Veteran
Do you tip as much at a buffet as a full-service sit-down? Here at home we don't, but I also don't want to cheat servers.

Hi,

This question usually gets a wide variety of answers, so I don't know if you will get a consensus!

We do.

You will get a lot of different opinions about this issue and in the end you will have to decide for yourself.

Personally, when I'm in Disneyworld I tip the same for sit downs as buffets. The fist reason is that I think buffet servers at WDW do comparable work to sit down servers. Unlike some local buffets I've been to at WDW someone seats you (you don't have to find your own seat) and a server comes and takes your drink order and explains the buffet and the characters if it is a character meal. They then bring the drinks, keep an eye out for characters, and clear the plates away no matter how many times we go to the buffet. They then take our ticket and process the payment.

The second reason I tip the same is because disney tips the same. Buffets servers get the same 18% gratuaty as sit downs on the DDP (for now) and with parties over 8.

The last reason I tip the same is because both sit down and buffet servers in Florida recieve a sub minimum wage of around $3.50 an hour (I think - its not more) and rely on their tips to make a regular wage.

See I for one do not think so-I usually only tip 10%. My reason of thinking is this-they do not take your order, they do not check on your food, they do not bring your food, they do not bring you things that you ask for like butter, ketchup, mustard...things like that. I think that is more than 5% of the work.
On the other hand, they may or may not refill your drinks (this depends if there is a dispenser or not), they may or may not bus your tables (there might be separate bus people), they do have to check on the buffet and refill and do some food prep. However, I guess the big question to ask would be do they get paid more than a normal server. If they do then they probably should not get tipped as much. Does anyone know the answer to this? I just personally think that I shouldn't have to tip as much if I am getting out of my seat and doing half the work for myself.

According to the majority of online sources 10% seems to be the proper tip for the average buffet. For a full service restaurant 15%-20% seems to be the proper amount.

We tip 20% no matter what type of place it is..if the service stinks then the tip will go down

At Boma, we get more personal service than we do at most non-buffet restaurants! I tip just as much there as at non-buffet.

According to the majority of online sources 10% seems to be the proper tip for the average buffet. For a full service restaurant 15%-20% seems to be the proper amount.

The key word there is AVERAGE, Disney buffets are not(in my experience) Average. The servers will explain what items are on the buffet, get your beverages, refill your beverages, clear your plates, ask how the food is(and do what they can to make things right for you if they are not) and generaly be of as much if not more help to you then the person who takes your order, delivers your food and then disappears at a table service.

And yes, at Disney buffet servers make the same as table servers.

First, determine what your party size will be. 6 or more (possibly 8 or more) regardless of where you are will garner an automatic 18% gratuity tacked onto your bill.

Whether FS or BS, if the service I receive is over an above, I will tip accordingly 15-20% but will take into account the 18% where applicable. Of course, should said service be less than mouse worthy, that figure will drop substantially.

You would like to think that anywhere in WDW, the service would be nothing short of stellar but sadly, even the mouse can have bad days.

The key word there is AVERAGE, Disney buffets are not(in my experience) Average. The servers will explain what items are on the buffet, get your beverages, refill your beverages, clear your plates, ask how the food is(and do what they can to make things right for you if they are not) and generaly be of as much if not more help to you then the person who takes your order, delivers your food and then disappears at a table service.

I base it on how much of thier job they do, they have four main things to do at a Disney buffet:
  1. Explain items on the menu
  2. Get & Refill Drinks
  3. Clear Table
  4. Take Pictures with Characters where applicable

I actually left a penny tip once at Crystal Palace because even after asking for a manager I got ONE refill in my entire meal and the dishes were not cleared at all. I used my card so I made it very clear on the reciept as to why. Now I know that this is an exception to the general rule, si hopefully all will be better next time.

we're leaving this weekend for WDW, 1st trip, and on the DDP, is it customary to tip with this as well?

Being a server I always tip at least 20% of the bill, sometimes more depending on the server but never less..Well one time down on the pier I had this horrible horrible server, basically sat us took our order and never returned. Long story...I know in Indiana buffets make the same as table servers only 2.13 a hour.

Yes, but the price is not average either. At an average buffet here in town I spend $7.99 - $10.99 for a buffet per person. That equates to about a dollar a person at a local buffet at 10%. At Disney most dinner buffets are from
$21-$25 dollars a person. That equates to $2.50 per person tip. That's 150% more then a server at a local buffet.

I have been to many Disney Buffets and the service is rarely everything you have listed above. If money is not a big issue and you feel generous leave as much as you want. Otherwise 10% is what normal people pay.

I have been to many Disney Buffets and the service is rarely everything you have listed above. If money is not a big issue and you feel generous leave as much as you want. Otherwise 10% is what normal people pay.
It's unfortunate that you have not recieved the service you expect, my experience at Disney buffets has almost always been great(Sandy at Trails End and Kat at Cape May Clam Bake come to mind). As for being NORMAL or GENEROUS, I was not raised to think 10% was normal, nor that 15-20% was generous, simply that you pay for what you get, and if you regularly go to the same resturants you will be remembered(and served accordingly)for how you treat those who are taking care of you.

When I am on the DDP and the tip is included, We don't leave more UNLESS the service is exceptional! 18% is enough for most service. We usually leave about 15% so they are actually getting more. I would never tip 18% at a buffet and at Disney were a buffet would cost over $100 for my family I'm not leaving $20 dollars for bringing some drinks and clearing a few plates! If the tip is included at a buffet with the Plan then I wouldn't leave any more.

It's unfortunate that you have not recieved the service you expect, my experience at Disney buffets has almost always been great(Sandy at Trails End and Kat at Cape May Clam Bake come to mind). As for being NORMAL or GENEROUS, I was not raised to think 10% was normal, nor that 15-20% was generous, simply that you pay for what you get, and if you regularly go to the same resturants you will be remembered(and served accordingly)for how you treat those who are taking care of you.

I received the service I would except from any buffet, no more/no less.

It's not a matter of how you were raised. Look it up online, the normal tip for a buffet is 10% here are a few examples for you:

I don't think this is very nice, but wikepedia says $0.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip

In an article from the Wall Street Journal 15%-20% seems to be the norm for Full Service and 10% for Buffet.
http://soundmoneytips.com/article/3441

This site also say's 10%.
http://www.preferredconsumer.com/food_drink/articles/tipping_basics.html

Maybe I wasn't raised as well as you. Maybe I didn't get enough hugs when I was a child. I believe in proper compensation for services rendered and this seems to be the proper amount for most people.

What I was trying to say was to each his own, you will do what you are comfortable with and I will do what I am comfortable with. I will think no more or less of someone who tips less at a buffet than at table service.
Do what you want as will I.
Have a nice day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter