Tipping advice

Right, you don't need to tip the doorman per bag. Tip the shuttle driver $2 per bag, tip the doorman maybe $2-$3 total, then tip the bellman who brings the bags to your room $1 to $2 per bag.

I travel with a total of 5. On vacation, we can make the first contact work for the $5. :)

To me, it's also about the class of hotels and the convenience. When you stay at the Grand (or even DLH), you are staying at a luxury hotel and should realize that the bellmen (wish there was a gender neutral term other than the antiquated bellhop) are part of the experience. You should also realize that unless you have a later check in, the bellman can help smooth things over and that they are generally giving a great service.

Paradoxically (and probably due to pay scales at different resort classes), I find the bellmen at the mid-class hotels more aggressive when I choose to carry my one roller bag that fits under my airline seat rather than have them bring it up to my room.

Yes, it drives me nuts I have to pay $1-$2 to the shuttle driver, to the bell hop person at the door and the person who brings it to my room, so $3-$6 per bag (and we usually have 5+ a portacot) for bags we can easily roll along ourselves!
The simply fix is telling them you will handle your bags yourself. I don't tip when I am carrying my bag. But due to my daughter's disability, we frequently travel with 15-17 bags. I am very happy to tip $25 to have someone else unload my car and deliver it to my room.

We didn't want to deal with taxis and shuttles at all but apparently at LAX we need to catch a shuttle to get our rental car :( Do we need to tip the shuttle person?
I wish they had the car rental service right on site.

My rule generally is that if someone carries your bags for you, you tip them. Most likely a shuttle driver from the airport to the rental car will do this, so yes.

Aussiemumma, don't worry about it too much. The simplest way to think about it is this above -- if someone is carrying bags for you, tip them. If someone is doing something that requires a significant amount of personalized OR one-on-one interaction, tip them. This would cover restaurant servers, housekeepers and taxi drivers, but would show that you don't tip front desk clerks because your interaction is brief and they basically do the same thing for everyone, so it's not really personal.

You may miss someone, but it happens and shouldn't cause you a problem. In all my years of purposely not tipping a hotel employee because that was required as part of my assignment, I've never had an issue. Although a taxi driver might say something.

If you're unsure, you can always ask the front desk clerk at your hotel.

BTW, not all hotels will have bellmen/doormen that will provide these services, only the more upscale ones.

We didn't want to deal with taxis and shuttles at all but apparently at LAX we need to catch a shuttle to get our rental car :( Do we need to tip the shuttle person?

I'm pretty sure at LAX the shuttles are like large city buses where you handle your own luggage so you wouldn't tip.

Hi Aussiemumma :)

We have done quite a few US trips now with our kids and at first I was nervous about the tipping as well.

What I have found is that those who expect to be tipped generally make it pretty obvious that is what they are after. Going to the supermarket is just the same as here (no tip) and with taxis - round it up and add a couple of dollars and you are done.

Unless you are staying at The grand or DLH then you don't have to worry too much about bags and stuff because you will mostly be carrying them yourself (in Anaheim anyway, different if you are going to Vegas as well).

For restaurants, when you get the bill, check the amount of tax on the bottom and double it. You can then round it up a bit if it was really good service. If you are purchasing from a counter service place, where you carry the tray to the table yourself, then no tip is required. No tip for Maccas or anything like that.

Try not to worry about it too much :) Even if you do make a mistake, you certainly wont be the first one to do it and no one is going to make a big deal out of it. They know that us tourists aren't used to it.

Have a great trip :)

... and please don't forget to tip all those who gave YOU great tips here on the DIS...

The car rental shuttles are very little/no service and if it is busy you will be herded on and off like cattle. I wouldn't worry about tipping them. I cant imagine many do

Also don't forget at restaurants to check your bill for gratuity before adding a tip, lots of places automatically add it then add a line for a tip

The car rental shuttles are very little/no service and if it is busy you will be herded on and off like cattle. I wouldn't worry about tipping them. I cant imagine many do

I'd give 'em a buck if they handle your bag...

larryz - a tip i stole from google for you :)- "Let your life lightly dance on the edges of Time like dew on the tip of a leaf"

Thank you!

And here's your change: "Please stand clear of the doors -- por favor, mantenganse alejado de las puertas."

We always tip the car rental shuttle drivers; however, they do help with our suitcases and carseats. If we handled our own bags, I'd probably only tip a couple dollars. We usually tip $5 total (which is about $1 an item).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter