• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping a travel agent

CJAYSMOM

Earning My Ears
I am not sure this is in the right thread, but couldn't find anywhere else to put it that seemed right either.

We booked our WDW/DCL trip through a local travel agent. They charge a very low fee to book and plan everything for us. My agent did a great job getting me the reservations I wanted, changing anything I changed my mind about, and so much more. I was just wondering do you tip your travel agent? Do they get some sort of incentive or payment from Disney? I just think what we paid is so low for all the work she did and she kept telling me tonight when I picked up my paperwork for the trip, if we need ANYTHING while we are on our trip to call her and she will take care of it. I just want to thank her for all of her hard work.

Most travel agents do not charge a fee to book your reservations, and Disney does pay them a commission for your reservation. But I am sure she would appreciate anything you would give her. I would even pick up something from the park like a key chain or a magnet and give it to her when you return, with a little picture of the family thanking her.

I actually have never worked with a travel agent who charges a fee (I have worked with a couple for different trips, not just Disney). They make money based on the bookings (like Disney pays them a % of the total package). Now if the TA goes above and beyond, like 2 hours on hold, I think flowers or candy or an Edible Arrangement is a nice gesture. Otherwise it is part of the service. Actually 2 of the TAs we worked with gave us presents. On our honeymoon she had chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us and on a Vegas trip, champagne in the room as a thank you.

I thought travel agents use their computer so they don't talk to anyone on the phone.

I thought travel agents use their computer so they don't talk to anyone on the phone.

Our TA has called Disney every time and spent a LONG time on the phone; we were sitting at her desk listening. I'm pretty sure that when we went to Europe she also called the tour company direct.

Thanks for letting me know. I have never used a travel agent before, but you guys have helped me immensely. Our TA has been wonderful she helped me out big time with part of our reservation that isn't Disney that wasn't going well. She tipped me off about doing more research and I am so glad I did and got everything straightened out. She will definitely be getting something from us from our trip!

I used to work as a travel agent at AAA and I can say that the commission Disney pays out is ridiculously low compared to other companies (think Carnival, Marriott, etc.). It's pretty sad considering AAA and Disney are preferred partners, and AAA's number one booking destination is Disney. But with that being said, AAA would not allow us to accept tips. It was policy. So you can try, but your TA's company may have this policy in place as well. Besides, the commission Disney pays out, you pay for in your package price so you've essentially already paid her commission.

As PP's have said, a "normal" travel agency, including AAA, does not charge for travel bookings. They make their money on commissions and incentives through the companies you are booking. They work with many different tour companies and operators. The only thing most travel agencies will charge a fee for is booking airfare because no airline pays out commission, and therefore they would not make any money on airfare bookings if they did not charge a fee. This is why it's best to book airfare on your own. So if she charged you a fee just for booking a Disney package, she got in a little extra $$ on top of the Disney commission.

That would be nice. Once a WDW reservation is made we can't modify anything online. We can't add flight info for DME or change a reservation to free dining or anything else. When free dining was released on August 3rd I was on hold for 2 hours and 44 minutes so I could modify all my clients reservations.

The fee they charged at the TA I used was $50 and it was a research fee. I figured it was well worth it since I have 2 little ones and when I planned our trip 4 years ago (we just had 1 little one then) I spent days researching and booking. So we thought the $50 they charged was well spent.

The fee they charged at the TA I used was $50 and it was a research fee. I figured it was well worth it since I have 2 little ones and when I planned our trip 4 years ago (we just had 1 little one then) I spent days researching and booking. So we thought the $50 they charged was well spent.

If you don't mind paying it then fine, but that's craziness. As a former travel agent and someone who works in the industry still, I would never pay a travel agent for anything. They do fine on commissions and a "research fee" - where research is part of thier job, is just a way to bank more money. Which is fine I guess, it's capitalism, but rare that an agency will do that.

Rather then tipping, I suggest a written thank you and/or some type of public endorsement. I think this would be more appreciated in the long run. Accepting a gift, especially cash has tax implications as well.

That would be nice. Once a WDW reservation is made we can't modify anything online. We can't add flight info for DME or change a reservation to free dining or anything else. When free dining was released on August 3rd I was on hold for 2 hours and 44 minutes so I could modify all my clients reservations.

I WISH I had only been on hold for 2 hours and 44 minutes. I didn't get a live person for 3 hours, 11 minutes! We should probably have t-shirts made -"I survived the Fall Free Dining Call In 2011".

But it was totally worth it to save $$$ for clients. Some of them did really, really well switching to the new offer.

Same thing for me Bill! When they released free dining I was on hold 2 different times for a total of 3 hours trying to modify several clients vacations. Needless to say...it was a long day! But on the upside, I saved one of my clients over $1200.00 for their 2 rooms so worth the long wait.

If you don't mind paying it then fine, but that's craziness. As a former travel agent and someone who works in the industry still, I would never pay a travel agent for anything. They do fine on commissions and a "research fee" - where research is part of thier job, is just a way to bank more money. Which is fine I guess, it's capitalism, but rare that an agency will do that.

With all the decreases in commission and the fact that airlines pay TA's nothing I think fees are becoming way more popular than they once were. I'm sure large agencies like AAA, AMEX, and Liberty Travel won't have to do this but smaller agencies and independent agents are definitely charging fees these days.

I don't think independent agents working on commission only and having to pay out business expenses are doing okay. I think these fees will become necessary in the very near future.

Rather then tipping, I suggest a written thank you and/or some type of public endorsement. I think this would be more appreciated in the long run. Accepting a gift, especially cash has tax implications as well.

A thank you card and references are what travel agents really appreciate. Go on the agent's Facebook page or website and write a glowing review. mention them in your reviews on other sites. That is more valuable to them than a tip.

With all the decreases in commission and the fact that airlines pay TA's nothing I think fees are becoming way more popular than they once were. I'm sure large agencies like AAA, AMEX, and Liberty Travel won't have to do this but smaller agencies and independent agents are definitely charging fees these days.

I don't think independent agents working on commission only and having to pay out business expenses are doing okay. I think these fees will become necessary in the very near future.

A thank you card and references are what travel agents really appreciate. Go on the agent's Facebook page or website and write a glowing review. mention them in your reviews on other sites. That is more valuable to them than a tip.

Agreed 100%.

TA's are one of the few service professionals that you would ever think about using and not paying them something - so it is becoming more and more common to charge fees.

Many TA's that I know that charge fees will apply the fee to the cost of the trip, some won't. How many doctors, lawyers, accountants, mechanics, painters, contractors, plumbers that will spend time working on your problems without charging you a fee?

And how many of those professionals spend hours on the phones for their clients trying to apply discounts to save them hundreds or thousands of dollars on their vacations - which in the end means that the commission paid is going to be lower??? (do many of you give your salary to your clients/customers to keep them as customers? This is what cruise onboard credits are - you taking money directly from an agent's take home pay)

Look at it this way - you call an agent on the phone or email them or even sit with them at their desk - and ask them to do research. The research can take them anywhere from 15 minutes to a few hours, depending on your request. They prepare the info and send it to you for review and hopefully for you to book their trip. IF you book the trip, they earn a commission, and in many cases that commission is shared/split with the agency. IF you DON'T book the trip, they just wasted time on you and earned $0. If they had charged you a $50 research fee, they would at least have that for spending their time and using their skills and knowledge with you.

I know agents that have taken the advanced coursework from CLIA and The Travel Institute and other educational travel courses and have earned their CTA, CTC, ACC, MCC etc designations - all so that they can serve their clients better. These courses and designations can take years to complete. Many who have this knowledge and professional skills are rightfully charging a research or consulting fee before working on a trip for a client. Most luxury agents and wedding/honeymoon agents are charging hefty fees.

TA's that say you shouldn't charge fees are scared - scared that they will lose their clients - but this is usually because the agent hasn't spent the time proving to their clients (and to themselves) that they are really worth something, that they provide value to the experience of having an agent/client relationship.

Those who have shown that they really add value have nothing to worry about - and they are happily charging fees and their clients are happily paying them - because they have a value based relationship.

TA's that say you shouldn't charge fees are scared - scared that they will lose their clients - but this is usually because the agent hasn't spent the time proving to their clients (and to themselves) that they are really worth something, that they provide value to the experience of having an agent/client relationship.

I'm not trying to take this thread down another road, but I don't understand this statement. How would a TA who doesn't charge fees lose clients? If they have returning clients, those clients are obviously happy. If TA's are having to turn to charging fees to keep afloat, they will be the ones to lose client because I'd venture to say at least half of their client base will not be happy about this. My best friend's mother runs a very successful and lucrative travel agency on her own, and does it all on commission only. It's possible. Work hard and do good so you have reliable word of mouth referrals, and you can continue to run an agency without having to charge fees. As a PP said, there will be always be big agencies like Liberty and AAA, and of course the internet, so people will start to turn to these outlets. The economy is already shot to the point where a vacation is a true luxury, and then to have to pay fees for help booking it on top of it will turn people away. It's unfortunate that travel agencies are on their way out but it's the truth, especially if charging fees is becoming the norm as some of you have said.

I'm not trying to take this thread down another road, but I don't understand this statement. How would a TA who doesn't charge fees lose clients? If they have returning clients, those clients are obviously happy. If TA's are having to turn to charging fees to keep afloat, they will be the ones to lose client because I'd venture to say at least half of their client base will not be happy about this. My best friend's mother runs a very successful and lucrative travel agency on her own, and does it all on commission only. It's possible. Work hard and do good so you have reliable word of mouth referrals, and you can continue to run an agency without having to charge fees. As a PP said, there will be always be big agencies like Liberty and AAA, and of course the internet, so people will start to turn to these outlets. The economy is already shot to the point where a vacation is a true luxury, and then to have to pay fees for help booking it on top of it will turn people away. It's unfortunate that travel agencies are on their way out but it's the truth, especially if charging fees is becoming the norm as some of you have said.

You misunderstood me slightly.

Many who don't charge fees now are afraid to because they believe they will lose their clients. (as you said, "at least half of their client base")

Many who feel that way (don't charge fees) spend much time working with clients or potential clients who never book trips - thus wasting a good portion of their time - giving their valuable time to people who aren't generating income for the agent/agency.

Those who do charge fees get to spend 100% of their time with clients who appreciate their time and value and spend 100% of their time generating income.

In other words, you can start charging fees, lose some clients, gain others, and actually earn more money.

Ask your best friends mother how much time she spends each week with clients that don't book trips. Then ask her how much more money she would be earning if each and every quote she did was guaranteed to earn some income.

BTW, travel agencies are NOT on the way out, mine has been in business for over 7 years and our revenue has increased dramatically each and every year with no sign of slowing down, even in this economy - and 2012 is already on track to be another record year. You just need to know how to maximize your time and value to your clients - and fire the bad clients and keep the good ones.

I did not mean to start a debate over whether or not TA's charge a fee. Our TA is part of a local company and did a wonderful job and I do not see a problem with paying them a research fee. I just wanted to know if they accepted tips and what kind of things would be appropriate. I definitely will be sending her a thank you note (a huge one) and I have already been recommending her to everyone I know. I was just wondering if it would be appropriate to get her a little something from our trip as a thank you as well. She has done a fantastic job, helped me out greatly, and saved me tons of time and I wanted her to know how much I appreciate all she has done.

Personally I think if you're savvy enough to research on Disboards, then you don't need to use a TA. The exceptions are cruises. Always use a TA for cruises, you can generally save money with TA discounts. That being said, it's all about how YOU feel. From how you describe it, if you feel this person went above and beyond in customer service, then do what YOU feel is best. It never hurts to spread the pixie dust! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter