Tip on buying beer at resorts

We are staying at POR RIverside, which Hess station is closest to us?

Read my post (one before yours). The DD Hess Mart is the easiest one to walk to IMO.

You can take the boat (I love that boat!) to DD and walk through the Marketplace and PI to get to the PI/Westside parking lot. Or take the DD bus and get off at the PI stop.

In 2005 and 2006 we just packed a case beer (cans) and a couple bottles of booze in a suitcase and buffered them with beach towels. On the way back we used the extra suitcase for souvenoirs. last year we rented a car, so we just went to the store for food and drinks.

I knew I remembered reading this somewhere. I suggested this to my husband and he said we shouldn't try it. Another poster thought the cans would probably blow up on route. Anyone else have experience with packing beer?

We are flying tomorrow to WDW, and we are bringing a box of wine. They come in many sizes. Sure beats spending more on a glass of wine than what it costs to buy the whole bottle at the State store.

I use We-go-shop every year. I stock up on beer for me and pop,juice,fruit and milk for the kids.Two years ago while staying at CSR I split an order with another Dis board member worked out great! After all day in the parks with the kids its Miller Time! :goodvibes I also bring a soft sided cooler with me for at the pool.

I always get WEGOSHOP to deliver a case or so. Even with the delivery fee its cheaper than buying at the resorts.

I knew I remembered reading this somewhere. I suggested this to my husband and he said we shouldn't try it. Another poster thought the cans would probably blow up on route. Anyone else have experience with packing beer?

Cans don't blow up just because they are on an airplane; you're not going supersonic. Anyway, what do think your flight attendant is pouring your little cup of soda from? A can of pop. Since the case of beer is flat in the suitcase and buffered by beach towels, there isn't any damage whatsoever when they arrive. Trust me. Again this year ( June 2008) we drove directly from the airport so we just hit Super Target along the way to the resort and I was good for 11 days. You can also pack a bottle of rum and/or vodka and just mix it with pop.

Wow. Never have I looked so forward to visiting a Hess Station! :rotfl2:

I knew I was staying at the BWV for a reason. Thanks for the great info.

Cans don't blow up just because they are on an airplane; you're not going supersonic. Anyway, what do think your flight attendant is pouring your little cup of soda from? A can of pop. Since the case of beer is flat in the suitcase and buffered by beach towels, there isn't any damage whatsoever when they arrive. Trust me. Again this year ( June 2008) we drove directly from the airport so we just hit Super Target along the way to the resort and I was good for 11 days. You can also pack a bottle of rum and/or vodka and just mix it with pop.

LOL...your right about that. All very good points...thanks.:goodvibes

For those of you who would like a beer while sitting at the pool after a long day and don't want to go broke buying them at the pool bar, if your resort has a souvenir shop somewhere in the back of it will be a refrigerator with 6 packs of beer for 12.00. Comes out to 2.00 a beer compared to 4.00 at pool bar. Wine also!!! Also they sell big bottles of Disani water - because the resort water is very chlorinated. If you have a small bottled water you can refill it with this ,fills about 6 small bottles.

At least this is true for Value and Mod resorts

Another idea is to use a service like gardengrocer.com and have your alcohol delivered when you arrive at the resort.

Best. Thread. Ever. :worship:

Ditto!

We are either doing a GardenGrocer order or having my brother pick up food & beer for the villa on his way into Ft. Wilderness in his RV!

My only problem is my hubby is a home brewer :worship: ; not only does his beer beat most bottled beers sold, it doesn't give you a hangover due to preservatives. We'll have to pace ourselves drinking the regular stuff! :rotfl:

Cans don't blow up just because they are on an airplane; you're not going supersonic.

No, cans most certainly won't blow up. My parents used to pack beer every time they went to aruba. But, with everything that's goign on with the airlines charging extra for luggage, you might have to rethink this strategy. But kudos to the lady who suggested a box of wine. Just an fyi, a box of wine holds 5 liters, which is equivilent to over 6 and half bottles of wine, which is equal to over 30 glasses of wine. So box wine may be the best way to go. And I don't want to hear it from you wine snobs, I alread hear enough on these boards from the coffee snobs.

Hello fellow drinkers. What about liquor? We enjoy some Jack Daniels and Diet Coke. I don't want to bring a bottle on the plane. Is our best bet buying at MCO? We will get groceries delivered from Garden Grocer. Do they only do beer or hard liquor too?

I feel like I am underage again trying to score some booze...

I feel like I am back in high school. Learning where the cheapest and closest place to get beer and how to sneak it by the pool. This is the best thread ever!

My dh is also a homebrewer----------we don't drink beer at Disney! But we do buy a bottle of gin, some tonic, and limes from the lovely stores in our resorts (YC in 2005, CR 2007). Dh would mix us a drink or two in plastic cups before we went to the pool with the kiddos :)

This time we'll be at AKV with my sister's family. They are driving so THEY are bringing the booze (thank you Costco) for G & T and margaritas (thank you DVC 2 br villa kitchen).

But we do buy a bottle of gin, some tonic, and limes from the lovely stores in our resorts (YC in 2005, CR 2007). Dh would mix us a drink or two in plastic cups before we went to the pool with the kiddos :)
See? SEE! This is what I really needed to know, can I get Tonic Water at the resort shops? Do the resort shops sell mixers?:rotfl:

Seriously, I was already planning on packing a bottle of gin in my checked luggage. Zombierella, if you check the larger liquor stores you should be able to find JD (and other kinds of liquor) in plastic bottles. Lightweight & fewer worries about breakage.

Weight aside, my concern about packing beer would be that it would get all shook up. Or skunked :eek: . But the box o' wine suggestion is GENIUS! There are more & more nice wines available in boxes. Not only light weight but they hold more than the average bottle. Brilliant idea! I'm already sending a case of water to the resort, I'll just tuck a few boxes of Three Thieve's Bandit in there as well.

Does anyone know what type of beer the Hess Stations by DTD sells? I am thinking of making a trip the night we get there, but only if they have something I like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter