tip for travelling home (warning: gross)

midsummerdream

Earning My Ears
A co-worker of my husband's just came home from Disney this weekend. I was waiting anxiously to hear how his time was, as we are leaving for Disney ourselves in just 2 weeks.

He said that his trip home was miserable, because his 2 year old daughter was not feeling well. He was holding her trying to comfort her. Wouldn't you know she THREW UP on his chest mid-flight?! The smell nauseated him so much, that he then threw up (luckily, he made it to the bathroom)! He had no extra clothes in his carry-on, and napkins can only do so much. That, I'm sure, made for a long, miserable 3 hour flight for him and everyone around him.

So...the moral of the story? For those of us travelling with young children, where literally anything can happen, throw a change of clothes in your carry-on for the trip home! You can bet after hearing this story, there'll be some in mine!

Driving or flying, people should have a change of clothes and a wet washcloth in a baggie if possible. In addition to that, be sure to carry some children's Tylenol or Motrin with you. Kids like to get sick while at Disney or on the way home. It could be the exposure to germs from all the people or just the excitement that lowers their immune system. It's better to be safe and prepared.

I just started doing this on my trip last week. All of the sudden I thought...what will I do if DS (2 months) spits up on me mid flight...I hate the smell of soy spit up!!

When my babies were small, I kept a glass of baking soda & water by the sink. I dipped a washcloth in it to dab at my clothing if they spit up on me. It didn't do much for the stain but did wonders for the odor. So, I'd suggest having the wet cloth in a baggie soaked with baking soda water too.

his 2 year old daughter was not feeling well. He was holding her trying to comfort her. Wouldn't you know she THREW UP on his chest mid-flight?! The smell nauseated him so much, that he then threw up! He had no extra clothes in his carry-on, and napkins can only do so much. That, I'm sure, made for a long, miserable 3 hour flight for him and everyone around him.!
Too bad no one else lent him a T-shirt or something so he could rinse out his in the washroom and get most of the unpleasant residues out.

Next time he could spread an airplane blanket on his lap while entertaining his kid.

Haven't experimented with baking soda yet but if this is a panacea for odors, perhaps airlines may keep a box on hand in the galley.

Cleaning hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/clean.htm

I was on a flight many years ago and the child in front of me got sick. The stewardess quickly opened a pack of coffe and dumped on him (his mom was OK w/ this). It did wonders for the odor and the dry coffee did not hurt the little tyke at all. (Another minute or 2 and I was going to be sick.) That stewardess saved the day.

Kind of reminds me of my 05 trip to Disney. My then 2 yo threw up on me in the security check line at the airport, on the plane and in the limo ride to the CR. I kept thinking to myself "all this planning" and my littlest is going to be sick the entire time. Poor thing had not hardly slept the night before and we had to wake him up at 4:00am to be on a 6:00am flight )WHAT WAS I THINKING WHEN I BOOKED!!!:eek: :eek: ! Anyways it did always teach me to bring a spare shirt when traveling. After a LONG nap, he was perfectly fine for our trip.:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Mermaid4me:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

POP May 07
POLY O6
CR 05
ASMO 01
Disneyland 92
Offsite 86
CR 79

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter