Timeshare Presentations

Zydebearsmom

Mouseketeer
When you go on an time share presentation and you do not purchase a timeshare but are really there because of the free gift or hotel stay, do you feel bad?

When you go on an time share presentation and you do not purchase a timeshare but are really there because of the free gift or hotel stay, do you feel bad?

Why? Only very, very, very few people buy this way. Even those who may be interested rarely buy after presentation. It is a very important decision, not like you invest in a next vacation, you invest in years and years of your vacations. They push you and they make you feel like you have to buy now but the real idea is to make you think,to make you consider them. Some people actually buy after a while, after they carefully considered their options and went to many presentations, not just one. You have no reason to feel guilty. You fulfilled what they wanted from you, saw the presentation. Now enjoy your trip.

Nope. There may be one person in the presentation who will purchase at the least. They know why you really came. I got trips doing this. I did buy one and am happy with the purchase I made.

NO way, I just went to one for marriott. we specifically told the women on the phone we already owned at dvc so I felt no guilt whatsoever.

I felt bad when they didn't want us to leave.

They sent over at least 4 people to put the pressure on and then started to insult us for not buying.

I will never go to another one again I don't care what they are giving for free!

We do own DVC, there was no pressure and we knew we wanted to buy, they are completly different.

I did three DVC tours before I finally bought into DVC.
I knew I wanted to buy but the timing just wasn't right. I took the first tour when OKW first opened and when I traveled to Disney again I went to visit the newest resorts just to check them out. I finally bought before WLV was built because I loved WL and wanted to own WLV. My tour guide was never upset and we both got to know enough about each other during our tours that I felt so comfortable with him.
I do take other timeshare tours almost every time I am down in FL. My sister and I go seperately but together and try to beat each other to see who can get out with the "gift" first. We always request the cash and won't do a tour for less than $100. She wins every time, she has gotten out in under 90 minutes, I usually don't get out until I tell them their 90 min is up, then they send the managers to try to talk me into it and that takes another 20 min. Oh well, someday I will win....
NO I don't feel guilty at all, and I always tell them I am not going to buy but they can show me the resort because I like to check them all out. I have had guides try to guilt me into buying by saying how much they are losing by taking me instead of someone who is serious but I have a friend who does tours and she tole me that they get paid either way and they sell about 5 per day and do over 100 tours a day.
But if I was ever interested in buying any other than Disney I would definately buy from a resale and get it for about 1/4 of what the tour prices are.

You fulfilled what they wanted from you, saw the presentation.

well...you fulfilled what "corporate" wanted from you. but you are wasting that indidual salesperson's time if you are certain that you have no interest in buying.

if you believe in the golden rule, don't waste their time. if someone else takes your spot that might want to buy, it gives the salesperson a chance to make a living.

but it's true that opinions vary. you have to make up your own mind.

personally, i've bought 2 timeshares - both resale - and never gone to a presentation. even putting aside the golden rule, i just wouldn't want to waste my vacation time.

Anyone have any good tips for which ones give away the best stuff? We are going down next month for a research trip. Which will be the first of many as we are planning a move there in the coming year. We are trying to keep our budget as low as possible for these. We really don't mind to sit through a pitch my husband is in sales so I am pretty sure we can handle it lol. Suggestions appreciated!

I didn't feel guilty but I was about to murder someone after they held us hostage for hours with two hungry kids.:headache: It was one of the most miserable experiences of my life and was definitely NOT worth the $50 Bass Pro Shop card or discounted condo we stayed in. It was through Blue Green which my sister is a member of and has good things to say about but she didn't purchase at a presentation either.:confused3 I think the only one I would ever do now is DVC since I hear it is a lot different and I really would like to buy into it one day.

I don't feel bad at all. DH and I attended probably four or five timeshare presentations, but then we finally bought. I have been to many "updates" through our timeshare company, and I don't feel bad for the sales staff when I tell them I am not going to upgrade and buy more. The sales staff are usually the least educated people on their actual timeshares and how it works. So I sit while they tell me lies and half truths, and then say no, get my gift, and be on my way. I LOVE our timeshare, love vacationing. But I never feel bad from taking something from the sales staff. The time we bought, it was because I had a really good sales person. She was honest (knew so because we had really done our homework because we were considering buying before we got there.) And just really good. So many of them aren't. And they have to get people in the door, or else no one will buy. It's part of doing buisness, they have to advertise to be able to sell.

Hmmm never thought of going to another DVC one? I was so pleased with the last one, I didn't mind at all the 2 hour presentation for the $75, free icecream and a ride to and from the place, not to mention it was a blissfull 2 hours without our kids, they had been driving us crazy lol

We went to one this morning for the Sheraton Vistana. 80 Universal dollars that will get us dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe later on this evening. We always budget specific time just for timeshare presentations when we are in Orlando but we also come here several times a year. If it was a one time vacation there isn't enough money in the world to get me away from something I'd planned so long for. As it was we get paid for time we would be wasting doing nothing anyway.

There are people who have the personality to pull the Timeshare presentation reward system off and people who should stay far, far away.

If you really feel that you are going to suffer guilt over attending the presentation with no intent to buy - you are much better off staying away.

Basically it is a game. They are buying a couple of hours of your time for the opportunity to try and sell you something. You are selling a couple of hours of your time for the free tickets or hotel room or whatever else they've offered. There's no need to feel guilt over not giving them a sale if you do give them what you agreed - your time.

I don't feel true guilt...but I'm a sucker for how bad they make you feel like you are missing out.

I do want to chime in that I have sat in on 2 presentations for DVC now. 1 when I was hired at the Vero Beach resort many many moons ago. One, when we were considering and tested the "we'll let you walk out" theory. (they do let you leave, no pressure at all!). I also toured their model several times. Their presentation isn't like any other in our experience.

We just don't bother with the other kinds of presentations. While we would love to get something for free--I just don't have the self esteem to deal with the puppy dog eyes of the sales pitcher.:laughing:

Hello
Does anyone know of a good site to find out about tours maybe in your area.
I think I would like to buy a time share at some point maybe an RCI where I can trade for Disney. But until I am ready to buy I would not mind checking some out and getting some free stuff.

Does anyone know of a tour that offers some airline deals?

Thanks
Brian

We don't do them unless we get about $150. Wyndham often offers this much to go to one of their presentations. We stay in timeshares all the time but did not do the tours until recently. We were shocked at how much they charge to purchase a timeshare (or points) now.

We often leave feeling badly. We feel that timeshares are a complete rip off (except maybe for Disney's properties) but never tell them how we feel. They will tell us how stupid we are for not spending $20,000 plus $900/year maintenance fees ($1800/year in Hawaii) for a one week rental. We stay through Skyauction for under $235per week but never mention this at the meeting. They think we exchanged into their resort.

We are amazed that anyone ever buys them considering how high maintenance fees are now. There seems to be nothing that will stop these fees from going way up in the future. Most of the time, the same unit can be rented for less than the annual maintenance fees.

We also don't understand why people don't object to having that annual liability passed to their heirs upon death. I don't think all of them are like this, but we were very troubled at the presentations we went to when they mentioned that not even death will free your family from this obligation.

Don't feel guilty the reward seems sometimes generous before you attend but believe me once the 90 minutes pass and the time spent in the resort is 3 hours plus and your partner or kids are about to explode,it no longer seems a good sensible thing to do while on holiday.Go only if they offer a cash gift and only if the cash reward makes a difference to your family otherwise stay well away.Guilt has no part in this transaction.

Ian

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter