Times getting on and off the ship??

goterps1986

Mouseketeer
This will be our first Disney cruise and I want to know how much time we have on both ends of the cruise. What time should you get there to leave-it says it departs at 4? And about what time do you usually get off when you get back-it says 7:30 AM? We haven't done a cruise in over 10 years and are trying to figure out if we have time do anything else, depending on flight times. Does it take hours to get on the ship? This is for the 7 day Western Caribbean trip in Oct. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This forum looks great!!

You are correct that the cruise leaves at 4pm but the port opens its doors at 10am for registration etc. and boarding of the ship starts at noon, I think.
You are back at port very early (I think 5 or 6am, we were up due to an infant) and are able to leave the ship as early as 8am. Hope that helps.

Thanks! That helps. Do you really need to be there at 10 to get on or can you show up later? I was just thinking of making a stop on the way and not waiting in line too long.

Thanks! That helps. Do you really need to be there at 10 to get on or can you show up later? I was just thinking of making a stop on the way and not waiting in line too long.

You can show up later. DCL uses a group-boarding number system, so you can relax in the terminal until your group number is called to board - Similar to some airlines. Avoids everyone standing in line :)

hi, I'm still online....last year we got there right at 10am and was pretty much first in line. The characters come out later and are alot of fun. THere are also tvs for teh kids so the wait isn't that bad.

This year, we showed up at 11:30am (our 10am shuttle was very late) and the first time cruisers line was quite long (I'm guessing a 40min wait) to register. Once you register you still may have to wait to board depending on what time you finish registering.

You really don't need to be there at 10am. Your staterooms aren't ready until about 2pm. So once they start letting people on and you go and grab a bite to eat, you can go to your stateroom and your luggage will soon follow.

Thanks qball and DrCavin! I didn't know there would be a different line for 1st timers. SO I guess it will take a little longer for us. I better make sure I have an early flight and won't have time for anything else. I guess we'll have time on the back end since we get in so early. Thanks so much for the info.! I was planning on getting a 1 day rental but it sounds like it might be worth it.

They won't open up the passageways to your staterooms until 1:30 pm, so really the only thing to do when you get on the ship is go eat at either the Topsiders (Beach Blanket)buffet or Parrot Cay restaurant. The shops onboard will not open until 6pm that night.

It is important to be on no later than 3:30. That will give you time to get settled and participate in the mandatory lifeboat drill at 4pm sharp.

Have fun.

Hi,

We made a point of being at the port as soon as possible after 10 am, and as other posters have indicated, there is lots to do at the port. While one parent stands in line, the other can be in the kids club lineup getting the pager and the kids' wristbands. If you do the online checkin, the registration process is pretty painless. We had Boarding Pass 6 and we were on the Magic by shortly after 12 pm. As a result, we ended up having a full afternoon of activities - toured the ship, had a wonderful lunch at Topsiders, swam in the pool, etc. At the end of the night, I felt like we had a full day on board, not just a few hours.

Also, keep in mind that if you don't get your Palo reservations that you want online at 75-days before your cruise departure date as a first-time cruiser, you are going to want to be there ASAP, as the remaining Palo reservations are doled out in Rockin Bar D on a first-come, first-served basis. We ended up on a waiting list for our Thurs brunch reservation, even though we were on board at 12:30 and went straight to Rockin Bar D. So, if you don't yet have your reservations, and that is important to you, it's a good reason to get to the port as soon as possible on Sat. a.m.

As you read through the DIS, you will see that many travelers fly in the night before and either stay at the Hyatt at the airport, or even at a hotel near the port. That might be worth investigating...

In terms of the day of departure, keep in mind that you will all likely be very tired. We had kept our kids up late since the middle of the week due to various activities - pirate night, 11:15 dessert buffet at Lumiere's, final greet session with the characters, etc. and then you have to get up very early on the Saturday. The entire busload of cruisers going back to the airport on the Saturday morning were basically sound asleep. I am not sure that a big day of activities would work out well on the Saturday, even though there is time for it... It would be interesting to see what other DIS'ers say about outings on the Saturday after the cruise. In addition to exhaustion, we were so sad that we were leaving the Magic - I am not sure we would have really enjoyed anything else that day, and it was just as well that we headed straight to the airport and home.

How about the end of the cruise? You can leave by 8:00am at the earliest, what's the latest they will kick you off? What's the time it takes you to get from the ship to the airport on the bus?

How about the end of the cruise? You can leave by 8:00am at the earliest, what's the latest they will kick you off? What's the time it takes you to get from the ship to the airport on the bus?

All passengers are asked to be off by 9:00am. You will need to go through customs and retrieve your luggage, which is very easy after a Disney cruise. The bus ride back to MCO takes just under an hour. Five or six airlines will allow you to check your luggage and receive your boarding passes right at the cruise terminal before boarding the busses.

Great information! Thanks to all of you for the help. I didn't even know about the Palo reservations for first time cruisers! Thanks to all of you I now know what to expect. And I know what you mean about being sad when departing-that's why I was thinking about extending the vacation. After reading your thoughts, I see that you're probably right about being tired and probably just need to get home. Thanks again to everyone that posted!

FYI...when you first get to the terminal you will go through a security check point (just like the airlines) where they scan your carryon bags. Then you will go up an escalator and you will be handed a boarding number (based on what time you get to the port). Then you will proceed to get on one of two lines....the first time cruiser line or the return cruiser line. There are so many return cruisers that sometimes the first time cruiser line is shorter. There are a bank of about 10-15 check-in stations and they call you from the line when one is available. After you are checked in you can then mill around the terminal until your boarding number is called. They you will walk through the Mickey ears, swipe your KTTW card that you got at checkin and then proceed to the entrance of the ship (but you can stop and get a photo taken). You walk over the gangway and you walk into the Atrium of the ship (Deck 3). You will be asked by a CM your family name and he/she will announce it in a microphone. Other CM's will clap your arrival!!! Captain Mickey is often on one of the higher decks overlooking the Atrium waving as guests come onboard (though he is not there all the time). You then have your choice to either eat a buffet lunch in Parrot Cay Dining Room on Deck 3 (air conditioned, they serve you your drinks) or Topsiders up on Deck 9 which is the same buffet but with indoor/outdoor seating. Depending on the weather we will choose where we want to eat. If it is really hot I choose to eat indoors in the A/C in Parrot Cay..I find it much more relaxing to have your drinks served to you than trying to juggle trays, drinks, kids, bags, etc. at Topsiders...plus there is more seating at Parrot Cay.

goterps1986, being a first time cruiser, I would recommend that you pick up a copy of the "Passporter's Field Guide to the Disney Cruise Line." It is very informative and will answer most questions that a first time cruiser will have. Also, be sure to check on the sticky thread at the top of this board that has faq. Enjoy your first cruise!

I totally agree with you cdndizzylizzy! We were at the Port at 10am, checked in and waited a while for our #2 to be called. We immediately went to Topsiders where we relaxed and ate a nice lunch, with virtually no one around! We toured the ship a bit and at 1:30 our room was ready. Shortly thereafter, our luggage arrived and we settled in. Then it was off to the pool and it was only 2:30! :banana: Again , no one around. So, we felt just like you did. We felt like we had a full day onboard with all of the stuff we did. And we made it to the Safetly drill promptly at 4! Dinner wasn't until 8:15 so we had plently of time to relax in the stateroom! After the cruise we were off of the ship promptly at 7:45 am. Have a great trip.

Thanks again. I will go out and get the Passporter's guide. I was actually thinking about stopping by the library yesterday to look for books but didn't make it. I just checked and it says they have that book! Thanks again for all the help everyone. This is great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter