Time of year to visit?

Star Wars Girl

Jedi Knight
Hi all,
My family and I are headed to DL in June. Because we plan on spending more than 5 days in the park, we are getting APs.

To me, it seems like a shame to only get one trip out of an AP, and I am also graduating from college in December, so I suddenly had an idea: What about going back to DL as a grad trip before my AP expires?

I'm likely going to take a friend, so I was thinking it would probably be for 5 days, either Sunday-Thursday or Monday-Friday in the parks. We would likely stay off site (unless we somehow miraculously use DVC points someplace; we're on a budget).

I was thinking possibly of going early January (late January I'll be in WDW), February, early March, late April, or early May. Latest would be before June 23rd. Depending on how long it would take my friend to save up, we might have to go later.

Which of these times is best for going? Are we better off going in February, or should we wait and go later in the year?

Not sure the trip is happening since I just came up with the random idea, but doing the research now so my friend and I can discuss it.

Thanks for the help!

I can't remark on the other times you mentioned but we have gone in early May on several occasions and crowd wise, it's usually a good time to go.

MLK weekend, participate in one of the Star Wars race events.

Are you getting a Deluxe AP? Check the blockout dates, there will be some on weekends and Spring break during some of the times you mentioned. It would also depend how early in January. Deluxe can be blocked the first few days before Christmas doesn't end until January 6th.

MLK weekend, participate in one of the Star Wars race events.

Are you getting a Deluxe AP? Check the blockout dates, there will be some on weekends and Spring break during some of the times you mentioned. It would also depend how early in January. Deluxe can be blocked the first few days before Christmas doesn't end until January 6th.
I just checked. The deluxe block out ends January 3rd. MLK weekend is blocked out. Spring Break it only blocks out weekends, not that I plan to go during Spring Break.

January and February are my favorite times to go, simply because there are less crowds and you don't have to contend with super hot days (though rain is more likely). Hotels often cost less as well. My birthday is in January, so I have gone often in that month. In the beginning of the month, some Christmas decorations will still be up. Keep in mind that in this time frame there may be a couple of attractions closed to remove Christmas overlays, and others closed for maintenance. If you or your friend haven't experienced everything that DLR has to offer, then you may be disappointed with the closures, but I have gone enough now that closures don't bother me too much because I know I will just catch that ride the next time around. Since you will be going for five days soon, this may not be a big deal to you either.

I have also gone in the last half of April and I found that to be good as well. Crowds were higher but nothing like the summer, and the weather was perfect.

I highly suggest checking out the thread that includes future events going on at DLR, because they may impact crowds quite a bit and cause you to change plans.

Since you're going during peak season, try the "off season" (January to March), just to compare notes; it's a completely different feeling

Imagine my surprise as I rode Tower of Terror 3 times in a row waiting for a Radiator Springs Fastpass window to open, Matterhorn twice in a row thanks to our friend the single rider line, Splash Mountain 3 times without even leaving the log...

Of course, you run the risk of having some of your favorite rides closed, and there's also that adage "there's no such thing as a slow time at Disneyland anymore", so perhaps I got lucky, but those're my experiences, and I look back at them very fondly

We have gone in April twice, June, October and November. We went the 1st week of April this year and it was just about perfect! Crowds were very manageable and the weather was perfect. We had one of our best trips ever this time!

I love the week before the week of Thanksgiving. Low to moderate crowds, and you'll get to see all of the holiday entertainment.

We just got back last week and could not believe how much we got done in 3 days. We never waited longer than 5 minutes for Splash mountain, went on Indy, Matterhorn, TOT, CS, Hyperspace, BTMRR....etc 5 times each. We even pulled a fast pass for Cars at 12:30pm, and rode that 4 times.
The weather was perfect (overcast, so not too hot), and the crowds were low first thing in the morning and in the evenings. I would highly recommend early May.

I would vote for late April early May because crowds are generally better, the weather is nicer, and annual winter refurbs are ending. But so much can factor into crowds. If the Rivers of America reopened during your trip there would be massive crowds, just one example.

we really like to go in mid January. lower crowds, cooler weather.

We have really enjoyed our visits in the first week of May. There were minimal closures for refurbs and the crowds were pretty low. The weather was PERFECT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter