Time for winter heating bills

Last months gas/electric bill was $189. We haven't gotten the most recent one, yet. Should be soon, though.

Oh my .................I know that my gas furnace is a dinousaur but I just got my bill for $478 this month and I thought it was ok :) We live in the Boston area and I know it has been a monster of a winter but I guess it is time to get a new furnace and some better insulation LOL

We just built an energy star 3.0 home in the summer so I don't have a comparison to last year but last month's gas bill was $128 and this month's was $108. This is for a single story 2000 sq ft home with a full basement and cathedral ceiling in the main living area. We also use our gas fireplace a lot. My old small 1000 sq ft house probably would have been running me close to $300/month.

Doesn't sound like solar or the pellet stove are very economical then. My husband had wanted to try a pellet stove, but I'm glad we didn't buy one. We have a 3400 square foot house here in the Northeast and our gas bill was $150 and electric was $80 for January so I'm thankful.

Actually the solar and pellet stove has helped a lot. Our electric heating bills with the heat pumps were in the $800-$900 per month range.

I was shocked at how high mine was. Then I looked at it closer and it said I hadn't made a payment the month before. Looked through my checkbook for the stub, and sure enough, it had been missed. I don't know what happened with the bill; I haven't seen it and I guess I thought I'd paid it. Luckily it looks like they aren't charging me a late fee.

We've had the opposite kind of winter than the rest of the US.... It's going to be 70 this weekend and we broke our record for February highs. :confused: Our bill will only be $70! It was $119 for January so thats a HUGE drop... I shudder to think what this will mean for the summer (drought likely since there was no snow build up in the mountains) and bugs!

Ours started last month. In the 7 years we've lived in our house, we've never seen that first digit at a 4- until now. :( Our last bill was $431 and the one due this month for Feb. is $369. The previous 6 months leading up to these last 2 bills have been in the $210-$225 range so this winter has been brutal.

Last year we had a pellet stove installed. We have propane forced heat and we have been set up with a budget plan for it for years. Roughly 120 month....electric bill generally on average runs 180 -200 a month (hit 250 last summer with a.c.)so with both average 300 a month ......this is our first full winter with the stove and we spent 450 for 2 tons of pellets in the fall....We have only used 34 gallons of propane so far all winter and that is when we are gone more than 12 hours we set it to come on and not the stove.....stays 72 degrees f in the farthest room away.

Between the energy saver discount on taxes and money on propane we will be paying off one of the vehicle's and enough to stick in our trip fund.

Last electric bill was 165 and no propane bill ....still have a half ton pellets left.

I am glad hubby talked me into it was a great investment and with back up generator for it,when we lost power over this last huge snow and ice storm we stayed warm and had neighbors come stay in extra bedroom till they got us back up 2 days later.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter