Time for new shoes?

wvjules

DIS Veteran
I think I may need new shoes. But the thing is, I don't even have 200 miles on them. Do bigger people need new shoes more frequently? I really wanted to get through the half on May 7 before getting shoes but they make my feet 'tired'. (That's the best way to describe it.) I don't want to change anything this close but if my shoes are bad then I need to get new shoes.

So anyway, long question short...bigger people = new shoes more frequently?

My shoes rarely make it to 300 miles even after losing weight. I would say if something isn't feeling right, go try on a new pair. By comparing a new pair to your current pair, you will be able to tell if the cushioning/support is gone. A lot of people recommend having two pairs of running shoes going at the same time. You might find that you need the new pair for your longer runs, but can still get some short runs out of your old shoes. I have learned the hard way how many problems the wrong shoe can cause. Good luck!

Yes, depending on the type of shoe you have (a super lightweight racing shoe or minimalist shoe will probably wear out unless you already run light on your feet) and how much abuse they go through shoes can certainly wear out after 200 miles. Also if you've done any muddy trail running or long runs int he rain where the shoes become wet (not damp - a little water wont hurt - but totally soaked), that can also drastically shorten their life.

I think I may need new shoes. But the thing is, I don't even have 200 miles on them. Do bigger people need new shoes more frequently? I really wanted to get through the half on May 7 before getting shoes but they make my feet 'tired'. (That's the best way to describe it.) I don't want to change anything this close but if my shoes are bad then I need to get new shoes.

So anyway, long question short...bigger people = new shoes more frequently?

IMO, yes, I'm a pretty big guy (6'3" 220) for a runner and I find that around 200-250 miles, my shoes are starting to break down and I need new ones.

From the track/football days I was always told to buy 2-3 pairs of shoes. With multiple pair you rotate them daily so that the shoes are given time to recover. As a big guy (6'3" 240lbs) I put a hurting on the shoes and if I wear the same pair over and over they lose the support fast but rotating 3 of the same pair I can get close to a year out of a set VS 45-60 days of everyday use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter