Time for a major Space Mountain refurb

DVCcurious

DIS Veteran
Space Mountain is pretty brutal. It seems to me I've been in more pain/discomfort in recent trips than trips say 5 years ago. In fact I can only do it once per day now where I used to ride it 10 times a day. Now, maybe it's because I'm getting old now that I'm 39, but I think the ride has gotten rougher.

We've all seen the complaints about Space Mountain on this site. We all know it's a rough ride. I call it the Nut Cracker (because there's a big drop and you get airborne a little and your legs are wide open and when you hit the bottom of the drop and land back in the seat the first thing to hit is...well you get the idea). Other people call it the Spine Adjuster.

Expedition Everest, Rock and Roller Coaster, and 7DMT are all very smooth rides. We know Disney can make a smooth coaster. We also know that DisneyLand's Space Mountain has music and double-seats (instead of single-file seats).

Now that 7DMT is up and running there are 3 coasters at Magic Kingdom. I think they can afford to shut down Space Mountain for a major refurb. I mean a take-apart-the-track and rebuild refurb. Build a new track(s) and make the ride smooth. Add the double-wide seats. Add the music. Add some new special effects.

Close it down on January 5 and open it on December 10th. I'd give up a whole year if it could become a brand new ride that I could go on without feeling injured when I got off.

I totally agree. The last time I rode it, I think a couple of years ago, I found it to be SO much rougher than I was used to. I did board on the left instead of the right side for the first time though and someone posted there is a difference. I was at DLR last year and rode Space Mountain (Ghost Galaxy was so cool) and found it a much smoother ride. I agree it needs some kind of refurb!!

I call it the Nut Cracker (because there's a big drop and you get airborne a little and your legs are wide open and when you hit the bottom of the drop and land back in the seat the first thing to hit is...well you get the idea).

I love going airborne!! It's so fun!! LOL

I don't agree - I rode it many times a few weeks ago and it wasn't bad at all. But I do prepare for that drop by tightening my leg muscles so I won't leave my seat and slam back down.

After riding it in DLR for the first time last month, I really agree! The one at WDW needs help!

Close it down on January 5 and open it on December 10th. I'd give up a whole year if it could become a brand new ride that I could go on without feeling injured when I got off.

A bit generous with the timeline....something like you are describing would take Disney at least double that to complete ;)

I agree with all the above posters. After having rode Disneyland's Space Mountain, I see no reason to ride Disney World's. No real comparison there.

It had a major refurb in '09 with a complete rebuild of the track. I can't imagine it will get another one that soon.

On second thought, I'm not sure they did the track rebuild. It was originally supposed to be closed for 1.5 years. But with the recession, they curtailed the refurb and it was only closed for around 7 months.

I agree with all the above posters. After having rode Disneyland's Space Mountain, I see no reason to ride Disney World's. No real comparison there.
I have ridden countless coasters that blow any Disney coaster out of the water. I never came away thinking that I no longer have a "reason" to ride a lesser coaster. If you accept each ride for what it has to offer, you will probably have a better time.

I have ridden countless coasters that blow any Disney coaster out of the water. I never came away thinking that I no longer have a "reason" to ride a lesser coaster. If you accept each ride for what it has to offer, you will probably have a better time.

Oh I don't think Disney coasters are the best by far either. But when a ride has the same name, the same premise, the same general design (wild mouse) and one is far better while the other kind of hurts to ride, then I'm ok with not riding the lesser one.

Oh I don't think Disney coasters are the best by far either. But when a ride has the same name, the same premise, the same general design (wild mouse) and one is far better while the other kind of hurts to ride, then I'm ok with not riding the lesser one.
If they were in the same park, I would get this. But deciding not to ride Space Mt in WDW because you prefer the one in DL better is like deciding to punish yourself for the disparity. Space MT is not as good as the DL version, and it never was (even before the ride got bumpy), but it is still a great ride.

You aren't punishing Disney by not riding, or even making a point. You are just missing out.

We still enjoy it, and it is my sons favorite coaster so we will still be riding it as many times as possible at the end of the month. :)

Yes it does as does many other rides (Like Buzz). Disney needs to look at the big picture more than worry about "ruining" some peoples vacation.

I enjoy it. It's a little jerky but I've never had an issue with it. I do prefer the Disneyland version but that doesn't mean that I don't love the WDW version just as much. I find Pirates at Disneyland to be far superior to the Pirates at WDW, but I still love the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter