• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Time for a change~

ILUV2TVL

Earning My Ears
I'm just wondering if anyone out there has ever up and quit their job, packed up their belongings and moved on to a brand new life?

I'm stuggling with this decision and could use some advice from fellow DISers. Recently, I've been thinking about making a change in jobs (and life in general). I'm not happy with my current job and would love to get back into the hospitality industry. After hours spent online researching job sites, I believe my best bet to get back in the industry...would be to move to a location with lots to offer - such as Orlando.

A job I would love???...would be working in a large resort/hotel, booking rooms/groups (no front desk work- more behind the scenes work). Luck hasn't been on my side finding anything yet...but, I haven't given up. Can anyone suggest a good job website that focuses strictly on the hospitality industry??? I've been on Indeed and Careerbuilder so far.

I'm not comfortable giving my notice, packing up and leaving PA without having something else lined up first. When I make this move - I want to have all my ducks in a row.

If anyone has made this "life change" - I would appreciate any advice you wish you had known before you moved on with your life. :)

Thanks all!!!

I did that around 6-7 years ago. Quit my job, sold everything I didn't want to pack and moved to Kansas City. I had no job lined up and moved in with a roomate that I barely knew.

It was a struggle for about 90 days, but I got a job, met my husband and never looked back. :)

I resigned my position in November. Haven't missed it at all. NOT ONE TEENY TINY BIT. My stress level for not working and not having my income is significantly LESS than when I had been working.

The job search has gone much slower than I had anticipated. But things took an interesting turn with my DH. In February - he was offered a position that will require us to move, so I've been concentrating my search into the "new" geography.

DH probably wouldn't have even considered the new position if I had been working.

We have a DD in college - and would have most likely sold our home and downsized after she had graduated. So - we just "upped" the timing on that.

I did it last year. Jury's still out on whether it was a good decision, although I absolutely love the city I moved to (LA). It was rough. It is still rough for me. As an adult, it's really hard to meet people and make friends. I don't regret it in that I wasn't happy where I was so I'm glad I made a change. I didn't know a single person when I moved out here, didn't have a job lined up, nothing. But if it's something you want to do, I definitely think you should go for it.

I did it three years ago. My parents were ill, work stress was horrible - bad environment, home life was suffering because I was stressed to the gils. Hardly ever saw my DH because of his work schedule. So one day, I went in, packed up my desk, fired off an e-mail telling them I quit effective immediately, then I left. Then it hit me -- what the heck did I just do? But 3 minutes down the road while getting on the highway, it felt like the world of worry and stress totally just lifted off my shoulders.

My dad got sicker, my mother had been diagnosed with lung cancer, and my step-dad was diagnosed with lymphoma. I quit doing everything for my dad back in September (he got back on his feet and has my uncle take him to dialysis), my step-dad went through chemo and is doing very well, and (sad news) I just lost my mom last week. I'm still not working and don't know if I'll return to work, at least full-time. I'm considering finding part-time work after we get back from vacation.

But, long story not so short -- it was the best decision I ever made. When I quit, I never intended on not finding something else right away. With my parents' illness, it was invaluable to me to be able to be home and help them any way I could.

However, if I could have my mom back, I would gladly work 90 hours a week in a hell hole.

We are doing this very thing in October. We're doing the leaving frozen Michigan to Florida. We found a bank owned fixer upper and we're moving. We'll take our chances. I couldn't imagine ever doing this, I'm usually so cautious but I'm going to be 55 and I want to try the fantasy of Florida while I'm still relatively healthy and can walk!! Big upheaval, his family is very upset with me (I'm dragging him by the ... you see, that's what they think) But I'm ready to do something crazy! We may be broke (we aren't wealthy by any means) but at least we'll be warm!! I feel at peace with it, I'm thinking if we don't try it, I'll regret it forever and life is too short!! :upsidedow

yes!! I am on a plane on July 25th to a new position in a foreign country. I am accepting a five year contract with huge job advancement and salary increase. Not really crazy about the idea, but it could lead to greater offers later and an earlier retirement. Scared and excited at the same time. I view this as my last big hurrah.

I did this in 2004 and to this day my mother thinks I was on drugs!!!! I didn't have a job lined up, only a place to live and didn't know a single person in the area. I had just gotten divorced, hated my job, and had always wanted to live near the ocean and work with dolphins.

I met my husband at the dolphin rehab place we both volunteered with and now live in Florida. We live about 20 minutes from the ocean and I still volunteer with sick and stranded dolphins, whales, and manatees! I have never once regretted my decision and am much happier now than I would be I I had stayed where I was. Good luck on your decision!

Coworker's wife up and quit a year ago to find something that made her happy. Now a year later, no job, no insurance, and they are burning through their savings - will have to sell their house if she doesn't find work soon.

Never quit your job without another one lined up unless you can REALLY get by without an income.

Thanks everyone! My biggest concern in quitting a job...is not finding something else right away that offers me health insurance. If I was only 20 years younger....I'd make this huge step in a heart beat.

I'll continue my hunt for a new job and keep my fingers crossed something comes up sooner rather than later.

Words of caution and advice Central FL tourism has many more applicants than job openings 99.9 % of jobs you will be offered will be PT ( no benefits ) so your biggest concern is a valid one

These are the workers that are the backbone of theme parks, restaurants, hotels, etc everything related to tourism/hospitality Everyone I know is working two or more PT jobs I have been in my job for 3 years and still can't get statused FT I have an interview tomorrow morning as a matter of fact for a 2nd PT position

indeed monster and career builder never produced any results for me or others I know except for a TON of spam email I would go directly to the website of the hotel or corporation you are interested in and follow their career link

I wish you the best of luck

We are planning on starting it right now.

We just bought our house less than 2 years ago and thought we'd live here for years. Well, the baby was born and we realize that being closer to our siblings and parents is more important to anything else.

I can work from anywhere, but we met with our realtor yesterday to discuss puting our home on the market and DH is applying to jobs in our new destination. Hoping to make the leap this spring!

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has ever up and quit their job, packed up their belongings and moved on to a brand new life?

I'm stuggling with this decision and could use some advice from fellow DISers. Recently, I've been thinking about making a change in jobs (and life in general). I'm not happy with my current job and would love to get back into the hospitality industry. After hours spent online researching job sites, I believe my best bet to get back in the industry...would be to move to a location with lots to offer - such as Orlando.

A job I would love???...would be working in a large resort/hotel, booking rooms/groups (no front desk work- more behind the scenes work). Luck hasn't been on my side finding anything yet...but, I haven't given up. Can anyone suggest a good job website that focuses strictly on the hospitality industry??? I've been on Indeed and Careerbuilder so far.

I'm not comfortable giving my notice, packing up and leaving PA without having something else lined up first. When I make this move - I want to have all my ducks in a row.

If anyone has made this "life change" - I would appreciate any advice you wish you had known before you moved on with your life. :)

Thanks all!!!

I did once, yes. When I was younger, 23. Sold everything I had and that wasn't much. Moved over 1000 miles away. Didn't like where I was living, too cold and very industrial and depressed kind of area. No advice really other than you only get one shot in life so go for it. I have been kicking around the idea of doing it again.

Coworker's wife up and quit a year ago to find something that made her happy. Now a year later, no job, no insurance, and they are burning through their savings - will have to sell their house if she doesn't find work soon.

Never quit your job without another one lined up unless you can REALLY get by without an income.

Don't let anyone make this decision for you, OP. I've always looked at this sort of thing as being rather similar to Tarzan swinging through the trees. Don't let go of one vine until you've got hold of another. Following your bliss leads to disaster more often than bliss.

I have done this a few times actually. I never really live anywhere longer than 3 years, except for right now. My best advise is if you are going to quit your job and do not have another one lined up, be sure to have at least 6 months of living expenses saved.

I quit my job about 7 years ago because I HATED it. I could not stand the thought of getting out of bed and going there each day. I did do a job search when I decided I wanted to leave, but did not find anything before my last day. I figured I would find a job in the next few months. This was not the case. It took me 18 months. I worked odd jobs to get by and pay my mortgage. In the end it was worth it. I am infinitely happier today at a job I truly like.

I have also moved 3 times for jobs in the past. The move is worth it if the job will make you happy. Obviously you need to factor in distance from family, whether you are in a relationship and if that person will move with you, and if you want to live in the location you selected. I was single and did not own a house when I made these moves. I now live back in my hometown so that I can be closer to my aging parents and extended family. Priorities change, but if you have the opportunity to pursue the industry that makes you happy, I say go for it!

I did this in 2004 and to this day my mother thinks I was on drugs!!!! I didn't have a job lined up, only a place to live and didn't know a single person in the area. I had just gotten divorced, hated my job, and had always wanted to live near the ocean and work with dolphins.

I met my husband at the dolphin rehab place we both volunteered with and now live in Florida. We live about 20 minutes from the ocean and I still volunteer with sick and stranded dolphins, whales, and manatees! I have never once regretted my decision and am much happier now than I would be I I had stayed where I was. Good luck on your decision!

That's not only moving to a "dream" destination, but also getting a "dream" volunteer job!!!

Yup, did this a few years ago, left my family and friends behind and moved 1,000 miles away (following DH, who came to FL for school). Now we're looking to do the same thing next year, only it's going to be a much bigger production, since we now own a house and we're moving 3000 miles west!

I'm not fond of change in most areas of life, but I actually really enjoyed moving. And I think it's great to try living in different areas of the country. Even though after four years here I've learned Florida is definitely not for me, I'm glad I gave it a try and got to experience a completely different lifestyle/population/climate than what I'd grown up with.

I do agree about getting your ducks in a row, however. I'd never move to another state without having a job lined up, my living situation squared away, a few visits under my belt, and a ton of research done. You never really know a place until you live there, but I'm just not adventurous enough to walk into a new home completely blind!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter