• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tile Backsplash - Anyone DIY?

tinker*dust

Mouseketeer
I'd like tile my backsplash for a little DIY project. My kitchen isn't that big. I'm just afraid I will get myself into a project that will be more than I can handle.

Has anyone done it themselves?

I'd like tile my backsplash for a little DIY project. My kitchen isn't that big. I'm just afraid I will get myself into a project that will be more than I can handle.

Has anyone done it themselves?

Yes, and it isn't hard to do at all. When we moved in, the stove was a big unit with a built in microwave on top. We had to replace it since it had a gas leak :eek: but went with just a range. This left a rectangle over the stove of unfinished drywall so I decided to install a back splash.

I choose some pretty Italian tile for a center 4x2 pattern, plain white tile around that and then coordinating border tile.

My space wasn't exactly the right size for full white tiles so I split the difference in inches and then trimmed the plain tiles to fit symmetrically top and bottom.

I snapped chalk lines to make sure I had straight lines and used a level for each row. I didn't bother to put thin set directly on the wall since it was a small space, rather I back buttered each tile and then set it in place.

Once everything was set and the mortar dry, I used plain white grout and viola! It was an easy project and I am not super duper handy, just handy, and I didn't have trouble.

Go for it and have fun!

If my walls was smoother between upper an lower cabinets I would tile myself but my walls there are to rough.

Painting the backsplash to look like tile is another alternative. If you google it you'll find a blog with step by step directions & many pictured variations.

I'm planning to do this for the walls between my counters and upper cabinets instead of tiling. That way if I get tired of the design or colors, I just have to paint over.

I see a lot of this type of project on Pinterest, so if you decide to go through with it, I would love to see some before & after pictures as well as how it went!

We did it ourselves. Not hard, but very time-consuming and messy. Especially the grout and cutting of tiles around outlets, etc. It does look nice when it's finished. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter