• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ticket expiration

evedein

Mouseketeer
It's been a while since I was at WDW. In the past, never used park tickets were good forever. I've heard recently that this is no longer the case. Is it true that never used tickets have an expiration date? If so, for how long? I'm considering buying tickets now before the price goes up again, but don't have any immediate plans for a trip.

"Multi-day tickets and any options purchased must be used within 14 days of first use, except for Florida Resident 3-Day and 4-Day Tickets. Florida Resident 3-Day and 4-Day Tickets expire 6 months after first use. First use must occur on or before December 31, 2018."

This is copied and pasted from the WDW online site when purchasing a ticket

It's been a while since I was at WDW. In the past, never used park tickets were good forever. I've heard recently that this is no longer the case. Is it true that never used tickets have an expiration date? If so, for how long? I'm considering buying tickets now before the price goes up again, but don't have any immediate plans for a trip.

If your tickets were first purchased on or after Feb. 12, 2017, they do now have an expiration date.

As of right now, tickets purchased within approx. the last year will expire if not first-used by Dec. 31, 2018.

Likely soon (MIGHT be as early as THIS coming Sunday) new tickets purchased likely will expire if not first-used by Dec. 31, 2019.

Once a ticket has expired, if never used, it's original value can be used toward the purchase of NEW tickets at such time as you need those new tickets.

Last edited:
In other words, if you don't have plans to go this year, buying tickets now before the increase gives you no financial gain whatsoever.

Are season passes the same way, I know the year doesn't start until they are activated but do they have a expiration day to activate them?

Are season passes the same way, I know the year doesn't start until they are activated but do they have a expiration day to activate them?

Annual Pass certificates expire Dec. 31, 2030.

With an expiration date, it's no longer useful to buy before the price goes up & use at a later date. With rising ticket prices, even with DVC, my family of 5 may soon be priced out of WDW.

So if your ticket expires, the money spent on the expired ticket can be applied to new tickets (obviously at a higher price)? I did not know that. I assumed you just lost out on the tickets all together - as in, expired equals no refund. I have hesitated buying tickets far ahead of time because I figured if we cancelled a trip, we might be out a ton of money.

Second - what about unused days? For example, you used 6 out of 7 days, and it expired after 14 days. Can you credit that small amount to new tickets? I assume the answer here is no.

Thanks!

Second - what about unused days? For example, you used 6 out of 7 days, and it expired after 14 days. Can you credit that small amount to new tickets? I assume the answer here is no.

Thanks!
No, once a ticket is used it will all expire and unused days cannot be applied to a new ticket.

Yes, the price you paid can be applied toward active tickets.

No, no-expiring tickets disappeared a couple of years ago. Once you start using the ticket, it has no value after the 14 days.

So in my simple mind, i can still buy tickets now if I plan a trip in 2019, and apply towards new ones. This is not the best, but at least I can space out buying tickets for a family of 5. Buy one now, buy another one in 2 months, etc. I know crazy, but it helps my budget!

If you do have to get a new ticket because of a cancelled trip, can that be done over the phone or does it have to be done in person?

If you do have to get a new ticket because of a cancelled trip, can that be done over the phone or does it have to be done in person?

Nobody knows.
No ticket with an expiration date has yet expired.

I'll venture that you DO have to do this in-person... like an "upgrade."

Stay tuned (until Jan. 1, 2019.)

So in my simple mind, i can still buy tickets now if I plan a trip in 2019, and apply towards new ones. This is not the best, but at least I can space out buying tickets for a family of 5. Buy one now, buy another one in 2 months, etc. I know crazy, but it helps my budget!

You are better off taking that money and buying Disney Gift cards to space out the cost. If the ticket expires, it may be a real pain to upgrade it. I'd rather buy gift cards and then purchase the tickets prior to the trip so they can be easily linked to MDE and I can get my Fast Passes without hassle.

You are better off taking that money and buying Disney Gift cards to space out the cost. If the ticket expires, it may be a real pain to upgrade it. I'd rather buy gift cards and then purchase the tickets prior to the trip so they can be easily linked to MDE and I can get my Fast Passes without hassle.
I totally agree, and you can get some good deals on Disney GCs, which will save you money in the long run.

Great idea about gift cards....i will try it that way and avoid future hassles...wish i was better at socking away money and not spending it on something else...Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter