Tiaras, Tutus & Tie-Dye: A 5K Trip Trifecta - UPDATED: 8/2/11!

Tinkerbellarella

DIS Veteran
PSX_PEB2027.gif
nce upon a time...

After all, isn't that how all fairy tales start?

This tale starts with a few DISers, a trip report (TR) or two, and a fairly innocent remark made by yours truly:

"We should all do a 5K together one day."

And so the idea for a very special Disney trip and this pre-trip report (PTR) were born.

I, along with LegoMom3, have been lucky (or perhaps daft) enough to have taken part in one of Disney's race events, namely the Royal Family 5K, as part of the 2011 Princess Half Marathon Weekend. TarazansKat, whose Mom's passing was our inspiration for participating in the race, did the 5K "with" us that morning from home, as she couldn't be in the World running along side us.

For those of you who don't know, a 5K is 3.1 miles and a Disney 5K is an event in every sense of the word. If you'd like an idea of how a Disney 5K differs from any other 5K, feel free to see my TR (specifically Chapter 5 forward). Click here, or the link in my signature.

As discussion of the 5K blossomed on my report and on TarzanKat's TR (click here), we began bandying around the idea of a bunch of us doing a 5K together.

But who?

Well, as many as are interested and can make it. The more the merrier. This could be a DISMeet of epic proportions!

And when?

Well, after giving some thought to the needs of life, the need to plan, and the need to train...and the glorious idea of running in tiaras, tutus and tie-dye (more on that later)...we came to the conclusion that the 5K event during the 2013 Princess Half Marathon Weekend sounded like the perfect time.

And how to coordinate such an event?

Well, you're looking at it! I PM'd the PTR board moderators and got the ok (thanks OhMari!) to start this PTR though we're still a good 19 months out. The purpose of this thread, and any after should this one get too long, is the following:

*a one-stop source of info. for anyone interested in joining us on this journey - whether it be literally joining us to participate in the 5K, or just following along the story of our journey

*a place to plan out all of the details - dates, travel, accommodations, park touring, dining, meets, and any other fun plans we make for ourselves

*a place for relating race news as it is released

*a place to share some training updates and tips, though I have promised the moderators this would not necessarily be the focus of this thread. If we find that we need a separate thread just to discuss training, we can most certainly open one on the W.I.S.H. boards

*a place to have fun! We're all DISers, so we know there's nothing quite like planning for a Disney trip. Having that ticker in your signature. The little bubble of anticipation you get, knowing you have a trip on the horizon. There's really nothing like it!

I will keep the post directly below this one open for the names of the people who are possibly/definitely interested in participating. If you'd like to add (or remove) your name to either list, just let me know! And if you'd like to include your real name, in addition to your DIS screenname, just let me know that as well. If you're just interested in following along, that's fine too! We really can't stress it enough - everyone's invited!

The third post will be reserved for links to the 'chapters' of this PTR. These may not all be written by me. As a matter of fact, I hope they are not! As people decide to definitely join the 'team', I think chapters written by others will keep the PTR dynamic and fun!

And so it begins...

A journey of 19 months...
A journey full of Disney and magic...
A journey of 3.1 miles...

And every journey starts with a single step.

Happy Planning!

:tinker: ~ Tinkerbellarella

Definitely Interested
Tinkerbellarella (Nicole or Nikki)
KRAGGI01
Lady Lallie (Leslie)
LegoMom3
Nermel9 (Jen)
shannn (Shannon)
TarzansKat
MaryAZ
pooh'smate
jenjolt
LookinUp (Suzy)
Normangirls (Anna)
LoriH91
gudrench3 (Angie)
brookelizabeth

Possibly Interested
jenb1023
danceintherain (Becca)

You can put me down for definitely interested!!! You can put my real name too, I'm pretty sure you know it. :rotfl2:;)

I am really excited that so many of have expressed interest in doing the 5k in 2013. I really can't wait to start training, to help stay motivated and of course to talk about all the planning details.

I'm especially excited for the tutus!! I better get cracking on making some more so ours will be perfected by race time.
tutu.gif

Oh sweetie you KNOW you must count me in!.....of course it's too far away for me to guarantee it, but's a good goal for my Half! (so that would be 3.1 for you guys, and 13.1 for me!!....:faint: ). Although, should reality kick me in the butt somewhere along the way, I rest in the assurance that I will be in fantastic company for the 5k.:goodvibes

So please add me to the "Definitely Interested" column!!

And let the running begin....

zrunningamok.gif

Yeah...I think I remember it...:rotfl:

We're DEFINITELY going to have to start getting together to do some walks!

Love this smilie!
That little smilie was hard to find, I know I have seen another tutu smilie and also comes with a bow in her hair but I couldn't find it online.

Yes! We must get together and do some walks. We have too. I need to get my butt in gear, my weight loss has completely stalled in the last few weeks. :headache:

I'm definitely interested, sign me up! And you can use my real name, it's Jen! I can't wait til the weather cools down so I can resume the couch to 5k!:woohoo:

I'm definitely interested too! My family had already been talking about a 5k so we might be able to make this happen. :)

shannn (Shannon)

Oh sweetie you KNOW you must count me in!.....of course it's too far away for me to guarantee it, but's a good goal for my Half! (so that would be 3.1 for you guys, and 13.1 for me!!....:faint: ). Although, should reality kick me in the butt somewhere along the way, I rest in the assurance that I will be in fantastic company for the 5k.:goodvibes

Oh yay. And if you do the 1/2 and we do the 5K we'll just have to celebrate us all finishing with some Pina Colavas by the pool. What a lovely moment to recreate. :goodvibes

Yes! We must get together and do some walks. We have too. I need to get my butt in gear, my weight loss has completely stalled in the last few weeks. :headache:

I have a LONG way to go with my weight loss so the more mutual support the better!

Oh, you throw up ole TarzanKat's name as definitely interested, my dear dis bud!

And can I just say that I think it is AWESOME that this all came about as some random fluke on my trip report, spurred by a conversation of tutus, tiaras, and tie dye.

Awesome. Just awesome. Thanks for creating this and giving us a place to plan and figure this all out!

What a great group of ladies!!! Add me in to definitely interested. Maybe this will provide me with some motivation for the 5k I am doing in ah 2 months :scared1:

Count me in. I had a reply typed up when you were actually talking about it on TK's thread but when I went to post it, it dissapeared into internet no man's land and I didn't have time to retype it.

Awesome. Just awesome. Thanks for creating this and giving us a place to plan and figure this all out!

No problem! Stuff like this is always a lot of fun to coordinate. :goodvibes

What a great group of ladies!!! Add me in to definitely interested. Maybe this will provide me with some motivation for the 5k I am doing in ah 2 months :scared1:

I try do walk a 5K once a week (not an official event, just 3.1 miles). The other days I do about 2 miles at a time. Keeps me motivated to know that I can do it, and am simply improving on my time!

it dissapeared into internet no man's land and I didn't have time to retype it.

Don't you just love the internet? ;)

I just wanted to post a little general info. on what to expect for the Princess 1/2 Marathon Weekend, based on my experience this year and the info. Disney is posting for next year. While everything is certainly subject to change, I figure some of this may help the fence-sitters out there:

*This past year and next year, the Princess 1/2 has been scheduled for the last weekend in February. This also happens to coincide with the end of winter break (for most schools here in the Northeast, at least). Should this hold true for 2013, the events will start on Friday, February 22, 2013, with the 5K being held on Saturday the 23rd (and, for any interested, the 1/2 marathon on the 24th).

*The Princess 1/2 Weekend is all about the ladies! (Though men are welcomed as well - I did see quite a few men participating, including one dressed up in full Snow White regalia!) There is an expo held at Disney's Wide World of Sports (WWoS) with all sorts of speakers, workshops and vendors selling running-related items. There were also special photo opportunities and plenty of Disney-themed merchandise. The expo is also where you submit your signed waiver and pick up your race packet.

*The 5K is run in the morning, usually starting around 7 a.m., and the course runs through Epcot. It starts in a parking lot, enters the park via a backstage area near Test Track, continues through most of World Showcase (WS), winding down towards the front of the park, and exiting by Guest Relations to the finish line in another parking lot.

*The pace requirement is a 16 min./mile. They suggest being able to do a 15 min./mile so that you can stop for pictures, bathroom breaks, etc. Unlike the 1/2 marathon, though, this isn't quite so strictly enforced. Though I mostly did some fast walking sprinkled with a few bouts of running, you can easily power walk the whole race. I finished in just under a 17 minute mile this past year and there were many people behind me and they hadn't begun picking people up and carting them to the finish line. My guess is if you can do a 17-19 min./mile and you don't do any stopping along the way, you'll be perfectly fine.

*Discounted room and ticket rates are offered to those participating in the events of the weekend. The room rates are so-so. You may do better booking with other discounts Disney offers, but the ticket rates are pretty good. I'm taking advantage of the ticket discount during when I race the Wine & Dine 5K this October and am paying roughly $112 for a $170 ticket.

*Transportation is provided to and from race events but only from participating race hotels (the same hotels that offer the race discount). If you do not stay at one of these hotels, you either have to provide your own transportation, take a taxi, or make it to one of these hotels to use the transportation.

A 5K is less intimidating than it sounds (I promise!), and Disney makes sure to make every step as fun and magical as they can. With the proper planning and consistent training in the next 19 months, you can make great strides (pun intended) towards finishing the race with ease.

As we move forward, I'll share more info. on my experience with this past year's Princess 1/2 Weekend and the Wine & Dine 5K this Fall, and hope others will chime in with their own experiences too!

~ Tinkerbellarella :tink:
(Nikki)

Count me in. I had a reply typed up when you were actually talking about it on TK's thread but when I went to post it, it dissapeared into internet no man's land and I didn't have time to retype it.

Don't you love it when that happens? I started writing my trip updates in Word and then pasting them into the DIS because of that very reason. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter