THV and No Car

TagsMissy

It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.
Hey all...

We are waitlisted for a THV but will have no vehicle; I am trying to picture the distance from the Treehouses (granted it would depend which THV you get but an average) to the main pool/dining but I have never really spent much time at SSR so I can't really work it out.

Does anybody have any guesstimates as to how long the walk would be? I know we can get groceries so we have stuff in our fridge there but I think we may get the counter service dining plan and if we do that I am trying to work out how much of a lug it will be to use the mug! :lmao:

I have read that SSR will not be offering the golf carts -- I wonder if that will change over time?

the buses from THV will go to SSR not to the parks - just back and forth to SSR.

that say would reconsider staying at THV without a car. Emergency happens - that would be a bad place to have one w/o a car.:lovestruc

the buses from THV will go to SSR not to the parks - just back and forth to SSR.

that say would reconsider staying at THV without a car. Emergency happens - that would be a bad place to have one w/o a car.:lovestruc

I did not know this. Where was is announced? I'm concerned about excessive time if we have to "transfer" from bus to bus.

I have been thinking about the same thing! We have the THV booked for Nov. and we will not have a car. It is only for 3 nights but I am really thinking it will be a pain to be there without a car. We have no guarantee where our particular unit would be so what if we get stuck with one that is the furthest out? That walk would be far. Further than walking from the Congress Park section to the main building.

I would love it if golf carts were offered, but I won't count on it!;)

Is that set in stone? I sure hope not for time issues. I thought I had read that the two bus stops at THV will be incorporated in to the rest of the stops at SSR. ICk! ETA - Just got off the phone with A guide and verified it's true - internal only, which makes me want to NOT stay there as much. I suppose I could adapt, but the idea of getting off of one bus and on to another is a pain in the butt. And add to that, I would guess the stop they will drop you at is at The Springs so that would be LAST for pick up.... Oh geez, Louise, I hope I am jumping to conclusions because I'm home sick and bored!

OP - I suppose if this is true that THV will have internal buses, they will go to the main area. That should help with time. As for walking, I looked at the distance and guessed that it should be roughly .5 miles to AP from the middle of the THV area. I was using the gmap.com pedometers to see how it worked out as I enjoy walking all over the resort. We loved the walk from Grandstand to DTD West and to HRS Pool so I figure the THV walking distance to be only slighly longer if the path is how I think it is laid out. Also, when we were there last, I keep mentioning that the bell hops often offered to transport us where we needed to go on there golf carts. We just tipped them for the services as it was nice and unexpected. We saw them offering this to several guests, but I NEVER read anyone else mentioning it on the DIS so it's hard to say if they still do this. This was May 08 and it was great that they were offering to transport if we chose! Maybe they will do the same for those in the THV, and I don't just mean during luggage delivery either!

Yikes :eek: buses at SSR is already bad, not we would have to transfer. Not a good sign for THV.

I did not know this. Where was is announced? I'm concerned about excessive time if we have to "transfer" from bus to bus.

a month or more ago - one of the SSR calls his guide to get information on the buses and was told this.

if they made the rest of SSR stop at THV they would get complaints - it is a big resort already and adding 2 more stops would make more people mad.

definitely would not stay there without a car.

also this option allows those closer to OKW than SSR to go use the buses at OKW.

I'll say it again for the millionth time, if you're staying at THV you should rent a car!!

I'll say it again for the millionth time, if you're staying at THV you should rent a car!!

You mean there are GASP.. :scared1::scared1: people who actually use the bus system and don't rent a car?? Oh wait I did that bus thing,:rotfl2::rotfl2: for a entire trip, that was enough!!

I know it costs money to rent :rolleyes1but the savings in time, convenience, use of valet, tours to Kennedy Space and Bush Gardens in Tampa..........Priceless!!:lmao::lmao:

Moe

Sadly, I have a fear of flying so I'll have our vehicle there and won't need to rent. We just LOVE the buses (if you can even believe that!) I just don't think I would love to transfer so much. Although I might not mind walking to the nearest bus stop if we get a good spot, it's not a chance I'm really sure I want to take or one I want to put my family through. I may now try to switch out to AKV 2BR at 7 months, but I'm just not sure what to do. I think I'll wait and see how the reports of transportation go throughout the resort and then decide. For my trip, that should leave a month of hearing how it works before my 7 month window opens! Then it will only be a matter of whether or not I can get what I need.

OP - Are you at all concerned about the transportation to and from the parks or mainly getting to AP for CS dining? If your main concern is getting to AP for dining, you should be fine taking the internal bus OR walking if my .5 estimate is correct (if that's not too far for your comfort levels.) Otherwise, you may want to also look in to considering a rental car as a back up if your concern is for transporting to the parks as well. We didn't have major problems with the buses, only once or twice where we had a long wait, but I don't like the idea of getting on, getting off and waiting to get on another bus again. Not sure how that fits your plan or style, but hope this thread has helped you and others! I know it has helped me!

I am torn now... I will need to chat with my hubby and my brother... we don't have an issue in the walk itself. Heck we are at Disney there's a lot of walking! More time than anything else.

I may cancel the waitlist and just stick with busses... as for driving. It's just so nice to not have to drive LOL I want to be 'lazy' on vacation ;) I know the busses can get busy etc but I just don't wanna drive on vacation.

Maybe I'll save THV for another vacation when we have plans to to go Universal etc and will have a car.

Yes, the Treehouses will be serviced by a shuttle running between their two stops the The Springs at SSR proper.

I was a bit surprised by this at first but after giving it some thought, it's sort of "six of one, half dozen of another." If you're headed to one of the parks, yes you will have to transfer. But if you are going to use the amenities at SSR (pool, restaurant, etc) the shuttle will be much more efficient. You won't have to wait thru the other 4 stops at SSR--instead it will go directly to The Springs.

Disney's internal memorandum states that there will be TWO shuttle buses running on a loop from 7am to 2am daily. If true, that should be pretty efficient--almost to the point of being wasteful. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this is executed.

We'll have a car for our THV stay and wouldn't do it any other way. Those who are going without...consider yourselves warned!!!

Is there an updated map anywhere that actually show the THV and the bus stops does anybody know?

It's true!

I sent an email to MS regarding bus service and here is the reply:

Thank you for contacting Member Services.

Bell Services host or hostess will transport the Members with their luggage to their home after check-in. Members can also call for luggage assistance upon departure from their resort.

The 2 new bus stops at Treehouse Villas area will be strictly for an internal 2-bus shuttle that will operate daily from 7am ? 2am.

These buses will travel in a loop to each of the two Treehouse bus stops and then to The Springs bus stop near the Carriage House, and then back to the Treehouse bus stops.

All Parks and Downtown Disney buses will continue to pick up and drop off at the current 5 stops at the Saratoga Springs Resort.

There is also a second boat dock (in addition to the boat dock behind The Turf Club) that is located in the Treehouse Villa area. Transportation routes for the boats that depart from the Treehouse Villas area boat dock are still TBD.

We will have a car but we like to have a drink on our vacations so evenings are strictly walking/buses/taxis

susan

So the buses on the THV loop will drop you off at The Springs stop at SSR? From what I've heard, that's a pretty busy bus stop, and a lot of the buses to the parks are already packed when they pull up to it. When my extended family is there in June, it could be quite annoying trying to find a bus that has room for all nine of us.

Looking at a map (http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/Saratoga.htm), it seems like we could easily walk to The Paddock, Congress Park or The Grandstands from The Springs bus stop. Which ones of those would have emptier buses?

Or maybe it would be worth it to ferry down to DTD. I read somewhere that the buses run more frequently from there, anyway.

Any suggestions (that don't involve me driving)?

So the buses on the THV loop will drop you off at The Springs stop at SSR? From what I've heard, that's a pretty busy bus stop, and a lot of the buses to the parks are already packed when they pull up to it. When my extended family is there in June, it could be quite annoying trying to find a bus that has room for all nine of us.

Particularly when it comes to buses, take everything you hear with a grain of salt. It's a very fluid situation with things changing from moment-to-moment. When full SSR still has only 900-1200 rooms. By comparison, Pop Century has nearly 3000. The all-stars are over 2000. Even AKL/AKV will be bigger than SSR.

All it takes is a couple extra buses on the route to address any overcrowding issues.

Looking at a map (http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/Saratoga.htm), it seems like we could easily walk to The Paddock, Congress Park or The Grandstands from The Springs bus stop. Which ones of those would have emptier buses?

The Grandstand is the first stop for must buses arriving at the resort.

Or maybe it would be worth it to ferry down to DTD. I read somewhere that the buses run more frequently from there, anyway.

DTD does not offer any bus service direct to theme parks. So that's an impractical approach in most cases.

Also I wouldn't agree about buses running more frequently there. Perhaps at night when the parks are closed/closing. But during the day service to DTD is more infrequent to match the guest flow. Hands-down our longest waits have been at DTD. It's also a pretty long loop as the DTD buses typically make at least 3 stops--DTD Marketplace, DTD Pleasure Island and Typhoon Lagoon.

This is a major disappointment. I would hate to have to stand around waiting for an internal bus to drive me over to another bus stop to wait for yet another bus, and then have another 10-20 minute drive to a park.

A car would be a big plus staying at the THV, yet with three kids in carseats, it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I guess we may be giving up our THV reservation for next January and see if we can get into OKW instead at the 7 month window. At least we'll save some points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter