• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thunderstorms

Liz

Make a miracle!
I know when it rains everyone says put on a poncho or grab an umbrella and keep going because the crowds will be less. But what about when its a severe thunderstorm? What do you do if you are in the parks? Do you just find a spot and wait it out? I know lightning is dangerous and I don't want to be out walking around in it!

We just got back and it stormed EVERY night between 5-8. We went into indoor attractions or took the opportunity to go back to the hotel and rest our feet! It cleared out the crowds and cooled everything down! We actually looked forward to our nightly storm!

When a storm hits a Disney, my DW and I just head into a shop and look around ... wait it out. The storms usually do not last that long (at least in my experience).

It's not safe to be walking around in a lightning storm! One hit when were on Main Street a couple weeks ago, so we ducked into that Expo (?) Hall. (Is that what it's called? It's adjacent to Tony's.) We looked at the gift shop, then they brought in a TON of characters and we hung out with them, then we watched the original black and white cartoons in the little theater. Next thing you knew the storm had passed enough to go outside. It was a great place to hang out during the storm!!

I agree. Definatly find a nice indoor place you can hang-out at for a while. At MK, Expo Hall is a great spot to hang out at like buckeye said. I went in there once when it was raining as well and the characters and movie were enough to hold anyone's attention, not to mention the cut-outs for photo oppertunities. At EPCOT, Living Seas, Innoventions, and The Land are good spots to wait out the storms. The Animation Tour at MGM and Rafiki's Planet Watch at AK are also good choices.

This reminds me of something kind of strange that happened to us one time in Epcot. A thunderstorm let loose one afternoon when we were walking around the WS. If I remember correctly we were somewhere near the African pavillion. We ducked into a shop and when it started to look like it had passed we went outside to check. This man walks by us walking in the middle of the "street" (I know it's not a street) with an umbrella up and looks at us and says out loud, "Oh you're real smart standing near trees during a thunderstorm!" We didn't say anything and just looked at one another in amazement and chuckled. We were just checking the weather we know not to stand under a tree during an electric storm but what was he thinking walking in the wide open with a metal umbrella? LOL. DH and I decided he must have been "drinking around the World" that day lol.

Definitely stay indoors. Florida has more lightning strike injuries/deaths than any other state in the U.S.

We were at AK in the afternoon when a thunderstorm came through. We had stacked out a spot by Pizzafari to watch the parade when the winds started to pick up there was talk the parade was going to be cancelled. As it began to sprinkle we headed over to FoLK. The CM at the exit allowed us to come under the awning and continued to let in others, mainly wheelchair users until it was full. He only requested that we stand clear of the doors as they open automatically. He opened a few umbrellas around the Greeting Trails for others.. there wasn't any lightning. After the show ended, he let everyone that was under the awning to come in through the back doors. It was really nice of him as the line was long in the front. We got front row seats and my sons were picked to join the show!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter