Thunderstorms for 4 days!

DS has autism and it is hard for just one person to have him all day. Also having helps make the trip better for others around us. Believe me, you don't want to be shocked when my DS touches your bumm despite me telling him no 200 times, using time outs, negative consequences. He just like to touch.

It's at places like WDW that a parent secretly wishes that autism wasn't "invisible." DS has Asperger's Syndrome and has very few "issues" when it comes to Disney trips. However, I do remember on our first trip-I think he was 12-at the hotel, he didn't get the "social rule" that you wait for everyone to get off an elevator before you get on. The doors would open, and he'd attempt to get in, bumping in to everyone trying to get out. I'm sure that everyone thought he was the rudest 12 year old they'd ever encountered. I like to think that this type of experience makes me more tolerant of other people's kids...(but I'd probably still be surprised if your DS touched my bum.;) )

First let me say, good Florida needs the rain! Now, thunderstorms will most likely not last all day everyday--it may rain daily but not for hours on end. Grab a poncho and an umbrella and head out--most attractions are indoors anyway. BTW it was nice of you to explain your nanny situation, but you should never feel like you have to explain--it is what it is and that is your business!

I don't care that I explained. Now I am the one laughing because it is funny to think we would have a few nannies for Neuro typical children. I hope no one is going...OMG! I do have a good sense of humor. Heck, I have a child who is autistic. He makes me laugh and cry all the time.

I looked at the forecast on weather.com and only one day the 31st has a 40% chance of scattered showers,the 30th and the 1st have 30% with isolated showers and the other days 10%.The forecast only went up to June 3rd,but overall that doesn't look that bad at all.If you were to see 40-60% chances most days then you're likely to get wet. Pretty much around June is when the rainy season starts and you'll see 30-40% chance daily,which are usually quick storms that come and go.What I do see is that the temperatures for your trip will be hovering with highs around 90,so it's staring to get pretty hot.I just came back from 5 days from May 19-23 and the weather was glorious,just a few clouds, highs in the low to mid 80's with a lot of wind that kept the temperatures down!!

Thanks friends,

I just went out to the garage and found serious rain gear. I found a pair of farmer johns, a two piece for me, a nice outfit for DS 4, and DH has some very durable gear from search and rescue. I am still looking for a few umbrellas to keep it off everyones head.

The nannies. We have two aides that have been paid for our trip. One is hired and the other is her sister. The older sister who works for me is paying her.

DS has autism and it is hard for just one person to have him all day. Heck, it is hard on me. We are all going to take turns so everyone has a good time and doesn't burn out on the constant 110% on DS to keep him in control and not going to far out on the spectrum. Also having helps make the trip better for others around us. Believe me, you don't want to be shocked when my DS touches your bumm despite me telling him no 200 times, using time outs, negative consequences. He just like to touch.

The aides are paid for by the State we live in under a program for disabled children. We are not rich, we just have what we need.

I think DH would love it if I got him a nannie, a cute little 20 something with a big sense of humor...or some...:rotfl: :rotfl:

Yeah...mine too...however, I told him that he is STUCK with his 30 something wife for now. Men, can't live with them and can't live without them!!

Have fun on your trip...sounds like you have it well planned out and everyone should have a great time! By-the-way...umbrellas probably will not do you much good in FL...usually very windy when the rain comes...I would advise a hood on a raincoat or a ball cap....I am sure your umbrellas will be inside out in no time flat if you try to use them.

[/B]

By-the-way...umbrellas probably will not do you much good in FL...usually very windy when the rain comes...I would advise a hood on a raincoat or a ball cap....I am sure your umbrellas will be inside out in no time flat if you try to use them.

Umbrellas = lightening rods in FL, leave them at home. Umbrellas are good for drissly Seattle weather when no Tstorms, not good in FL.

Umbrellas = lightening rods in FL, leave them at home. Umbrellas are good for drissly Seattle weather when no Tstorms, not good in FL.

Plus when you are walking around and it is crowded, you usually end up poking someone in the eye with the end of the umbrella or dripping on someone, very uncomfortable walking around with an umbrella especially at a busy time. Plus it is Florida. It is going to rain, usually everyday, but typically doesn't last more than 15 minutes.

Also, it could be storming in one park and sunny in another. Some of the funniest pictures we have our of my family decked out in Disney ponchos after braving the weather. You just keep on going. See a show or grab something to eat and the storm will pass you by. When we were there in 2005 a storm came through when we were at Typhoon Lagoon. We took shelter and stayed while everyone else left. The storm passed, sun came out and we had the park to ourselves. We've also detoured over to Downtown Disney, caught a movie and then went back to the parks. Don't worry, there is a lot to do rain or shine.

Bring some umbrellas and ENJOY!

1st....there isn't anything you can do about it...so make the
best of it

2nd...I doubt it will rain your whole trip!

I was there 2 weeks ago...T-Storms were predicted for every day but one.
We actually only had 2 or 3 pop up storms. It down poured for about 15-20 minutes, then it stopped. Sunny, blue skies the rest of the time! :goodvibes

Personally I think "Scattered T-Storms" is just the standard report for Orlando everyday.

Also, it could be storming in one park and sunny in another.

This is weird, but true. It's happened a few times that I have been in one park where it's storming and gone to another only to find it dry and sunny!

We just got back from 7 days in Orlando; the forecast for most days was for scattered showers/t-storms; didn't rain a drop the whole time we were there; I wouldn't worry about it.

Where else in the world does a 30% chance of scattered showers translate into an ICON on the weather map with rain. My wife freaked out because the 6 of the 7 days we were going showed rain on weather.com. When I looked it showed the percents of 20-40% depending on the day. Actual rain for the trip one day of 4 min. misting, not even rain and another day of a 8:30 PM 15min light rain. Other than that is was great. The day that was forcasted for the most rain (40%) was actually the sunniest and we went to TL, go figure. I want to be a weatherman down there, talk about job security. Just say "it might rain, might not" everyday.

I always take the forecast down there with a grain of salt. In a nutshell have ponchos but don't plan on it raining unless a tropical storm or worse is coming.

Thanks friends,

I just went out to the garage and found serious rain gear. I found a pair of farmer johns, a two piece for me, a nice outfit for DS 4, and DH has some very durable gear from search and rescue. I am still looking for a few umbrellas to keep it off everyones head.

Just my two cents worth. You are taking WAY too much rain gear. Just buy the "el cheapo" disposable ponchos for everyone. If you really want to go all out pack some very light windbreaker style pants for those wearing shorts. If it is a Monsoon you won't be stuck out in it for long anyway.

Don't carry a full bagfull of raingear with you to the parks, you will be lugging around them for 90%+ of the trip not using them.

We make each person responsible for their poncho in their fanny sack or whatever type of pouch they use.

Never used them the whole 7 day trip even though the forecast was rain for most of those days.

tacomaranch,

I posted earlier I will be in WDW when you are
just to make you feel better about the weather. Today here in Miami we had a chance of rain, it did indeed rain for a whole 5 minutes, it was a downpour but then it stopped. It happens usually daily during the summer. The sky may get real dark and it will look like it will rain forever, then it stops lol

Oh and like a previous poster stated it maky rain in one park and not in another, or only in a specific area lol

Patricia:goodvibes

Just my two cents worth. You are taking WAY too much rain gear. Just buy the "el cheapo" disposable ponchos for everyone. If you really want to go all out pack some very light windbreaker style pants for those wearing shorts. If it is a Monsoon you won't be stuck out in it for long anyway.

Don't carry a full bagfull of raingear with you to the parks, you will be lugging around them for 90%+ of the trip not using them.

We make each person responsible for their poncho in their fanny sack or whatever type of pouch they use.

Never used them the whole 7 day trip even though the forecast was rain for most of those days.

for some reason I really love this thread...I completely agree with PP, way too much rain gear, it will be done raining even before you get it on. Buy a poncho!

I too have been checking the weather (we'll be there May 31-June 7), but more for the temps than rain. I still have the Disney rain poncho my parents bought for me during one of my childhood trips. I distinctly remember having a blast running from one indoor place to another during a rain outbreak, then coming out of that 2nd attraction to a completely dry MK. The rain never stopped us then, and now after previously living in rainy Oregon for 5 1/2 years, the rain doesn't faze me (and I know all about lightening safety having grown up in Indiana). We will just enjoy whatever we can during the rain and go on. Hope you enjoy your trip!

we will be there May 29th- June 4th

I've already gone to Walmart and picked up several .87 cent ponchos-
they are in really small pouches. Use it and then dispose of it when the rain is over. We live in Colorado and are used to the ususal 20% chance of afternoon storms that happen here along the front range in the summer.
Sounds like similar weather.

My question though-

If it rains in Florida does the temperature cool off ??

I am now confused. Some say bring something better than the ponchos others so just the ponchos and a hat.

What should I be packing? I have both.

And what should the nannies wear???:scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter