thunder mountain vs expedition everest

qnfltcapt

Earning My Ears
Our 9 yo is not to keen on coasters. He reluctantly went on thunder mountain with us and half liked it , half Didn't.
We haven't been on everest yet. Is it , same, better, or worse

Everest is more intense, with some darkness and going backwards.

Everest is more intense. It is smoother, but the hills are bigger, it goes backwards and through a dark area, and you feel more force on your body.

If he wasn't 100% about BTMRR, he probably won't like Everest. It's too bad, it's a great ride.

Try showing him a YouTube video and see if he will agree to TRY it.

Yeah I have to agree that Everest is more intense! Have him watch youtube videos on it and it will give you an idea. My kids love doing that!

If your son didn't like parts of BTR then he's probably not ready for Everest. As the other poster stated, Everest is much more intense. It's bigger, faster, and there is a part where you're going backwards in the dark.

Definitely agree that it was worse - it is a smooth ride but I thinking faster, goes through some dark parts, more hills and goes backwards. My sister is not a huge coaster fan and very apprehensive. I too would say check out the youtube videos, many that have point of view are a good perspective.

Agree that EE is more "intense" that BTMRR. I do BTMRR regularly but only done EE twice - that was enough for me.

We took my, then, 7 & 8 yr olds on both. They LOVED BTMRR-screamed and laughed the whole time. The were both totally silent on EE, which means they were traumatized. Neither want to go on the coaster, EVER AGAIN. My 7 yr old was in tears afterwards, poor guy. I think he was upset that it was too scary and he likes to think of himself as a daredevil.

One other thing, it was very LOUD in parts. My son's ride photo features him covering his ears. He hated the part in the dark.

Just adding one more opinion that EE is definitely more intense than BTMRR.

My DD sounds a lot like your son. I never thought I would get her on EE, but trip before last I did manage to talk her in to BTMRR, likely because her GRANDMA told her it was a pretty easy one! Finally on our trip last month, at the age of 12, she was ready to give EE a try. I held my breath for the verdict and it was a hit - she wanted to get fastpasses for another ride. YAY!!! She still won't touch Rockin' Roller Coaster or Tower of Terror with a 10 foot pole, but I'll take what I can get! Good luck! :thumbsup2

We took my, then, 7 & 8 yr olds on both. They LOVED BTMRR-screamed and laughed the whole time. The were both totally silent on EE, which means they were traumatized. Neither want to go on the coaster, EVER AGAIN.

Yes! With a more timid kid, I have learned the hard way that they REALLY have to be ready! When DD was 6 or 7, I bribed, cajoled, mmm- might as well say almost forced, her to ride Splash Mountain. To this day she HATES it. I ruined it for her, and it might have eventually become a favorite. Still feel bad about that! :sad2:

My 5 yr old boy is adventurous. Loved BTMR and called it his favorite ride. Also really liked Space Mountain although didn't ask to ride it twice. Hated EE and was traumatized. I am attributing it to the fact he rode with someone other than me on that ride and didn't feel as secure, but regardless, he hated it!

my 11 yo hates roller coasters. Hates them. She will not go on TM and there is no way I could convince her to go on EE. Her younger sister has been on and so have I. Thus I know there is no way she would enjoy herself and possibly she might hate for me for a very long time if I succeeded in getting her on it :thumbsup2 With that in mind she has ridden the Hippogriff ride at IOA and liked that and also likes Indiana Jones at DCA.

I'm also a scaredy cat but thunder mountain is my favorite. Everest on the other hand. I went on once and cried that I was going to die the whole time. Def. Worse

EE is definitely worse! You feel the effects much more on your body. I use anti nausea meds on park days and EE is a double dose.

Everest is definetly more intense but it is a ton of fun. The darkness would probably be a big issue as well as seeing the Yetti. The Yetti is huge and although you can only make out his red eyes and his overall figure it could be very scary for a 9 year old. I'd wait a little bit to try him on EE but it is a great ride!!

BTMRR is tame as far as roller coasters go. If he only half liked it I would absolutely skip EE. EE is much more intense. HTH

From what my DD13 says EE is way more intense than BTMRR.

I have ridden BTMRR. It is very mild.

DD said EE is very intense. But I have watched You Tube videos of it and it doesn't seem intense to me. But it does take you backwards and I think she didn't like that part very much and now she classifies EE as intense.

If your child was a little reluctant after riding Big Thunder he would probably not like EE at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter