Thumb-sucking device?

We went to the orthodontist last year (DS was 5) and had a tongue crib placed. His thumb sucking was to the point where it had pulled his top jaw out and pushed his lower jaw in. My insurance paid for half, with a bill of about $400 for me to pay. We had tried everything to get my son to stop sucking and this was the last resort. It took about 6 months to start making an impact and another 4 to stop the "sleeping thumb sucking". Overall though, I would say it was worth it. No ill effects, cavities, soreness, etc. He couldn't have hard candy, gummies, or such though.

I wrapped dd thumb with a bandaid and promised a reward for not sucking. The reward was something "big" she really wanted (too many years ago I don't remember what it was) but it worked.

I have a home daycare and that's what almost every tumb sucking parent has done. They usally put the fabric ones that are super sticky. The kids don't like the texture of the fabric in their mouth therefor never puts it in.

Yes, DD#1 was a thumb sucker too and after hot sauce, band aids, and this sour nail coating stuff we bought at the pharmacy she got it put in at 5 It was attached in the upper pallette to the molars. It blocked the thumb from going in. You could see it behind her teeth. She did talk kind of funny for a few days but she just had a little discomfort when it was first installed gave her a little Tylenol that evening. Other than that she was a little frustrated because she wanted to suck her thumb at times but by the end of maybe week 3 that had stopped. So her 6mo reccommendation was only maybe a little over 4! So, I guess that would be a yes it worked for us and insurance did not cover hers either & it was $285 o.o.p.

my youngest DD sucked her thumb. Her teeth grew around the spot where her thumb was, a perfect "hole" for her thumb to fit through! when she was 5 she had some warts on her thumb and fingers and the Dr said not to use compound W on it because of the danger of her putting her thumb in her mouth. She suggested we cover the warts with duct tape and see if it went away. Bonus side effect, DD couldn't put her thumb in her mouth and did end up quitting her thumb sucking habit. (and the warts went away too!)

It's been two weeks. DS willingly started wearing a glove on the hand with his "sucky thumb" and holding a stress ball (his idea) while he sleeps. Each morning he didn't suck his thumb he put a "T" on the calendar. He made it two weeks and got some new Skylanders characters today which he was super excited about. I don't think he's going to have any trouble making it the three months to get Skylanders Giants, it was definitely a good incentive and much cheaper than the device from the dentist:thumbsup2

mrsbornkuntry said:
It's been two weeks. DS willingly started wearing a glove on the hand with his "sucky thumb" and holding a stress ball (his idea) while he sleeps. Each morning he didn't suck his thumb he put a "T" on the calendar. He made it two weeks and got some new Skylanders characters today which he was super excited about. I don't think he's going to have any trouble making it the three months to get Skylanders Giants, it was definitely a good incentive and much cheaper than the device from the dentist:thumbsup2

I just wanted to share my experience as a child. I didn't suck my thumb but was a blanket sucker (gross I know). My mom got me to stop when I was little by tucking me in and rubbing my back until I fell asleep. I never sucked unconsciously in the middle of the night so once I was asleep I was good. Also it was a great bonding experience. Still to this day a back run will put me right to sleep no matter how stressed I am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter