• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thrush

grammaHBSR4

Earning My Ears
So many knowledgeable/helpful people here! Hopefully someone will have some knowledge for me! My tongue has been bothering me for close to a year - it comes and goes - white coating, burning, dry mouth. Went to doc, was put on meds for thrush - no help - this spring saw an infectious disease doc and he took a culture & not thrush. Back to regular doc tomorrow - anybody ever have this problem?

I get thrush every time I take an antibiotic - and what helps more than prescription meds is rinsing several times a day with a mixture of warm water, salt, and baking soda. If that doesn't help you can add a tsp of liquid ant
acid - it tastes gross but clears up almost anything. Also, try to avoid mouthwashes that have alcohol in them as they make the dry mouth worse.

I know playing doctor via Google is a really, really bad idea. :rotfl2: But I did it anyway, and hit this:

Oral lichen planus

Oral lichen planus (lichen planus of the mouth) is a long-term disorder of the immune system that causes white lacy streaks and white patches in the mouth, including on the tongue.
Mild cases do not usually cause any pain or discomfort, although it can cause burning sensations and discomfort in the mouth, painful red gums and sore patches in the lining of the mouth.
The exact cause of oral lichen planus is unknown. It does not run in families and cannot be passed on to other people.
Mild cases will not need any treatment. More severe cases can be managed with an antiseptic mouthwash plus steroid sprays or steroid tablets dissolved in water to make a mouth rinse.

What are your doctors saying/doing??? Seems like you need to push them to get an answer.

As a nurse, we use one dose of diflucan if it's thrush. But if it's not thrush and you had an infectious disease guy culture it then I would think he knew what to do next

Just going to throw this out there, because youngest DS had this problem a few months ago. It turned out to be due to a sinus infection/post-nasal drip. So, if you have seasonal allergies or ongoing sinus issues, this could be causing the white coating on the tongue.

Thanks everyone! Tried probiotics - no change. Infectious disease said nothing further after it wasn't a fungal infection but did order all kinds of blood work - all were normal so good to know that! Will go back if it continues to bother me - it comes & goes - so annoying. Doc yesterday said she's sure nothing serious and that was it. Gonna try omeprazole as read acid reflux can cause also. Next stop is an internist as strange things pop up as I age - if I knew how to do smiley face I would - and primary doc stumped. I do have allergies & get allergy shots so post nasal drip as mentioned might be it! Thanks again to all who took time to respond!

If you tried probiotics did you use the good refrigerated ones? The ones on the shelf at the pharmacy do not have live cultures so they won't work.

You need to go to a health food store and purchase good quality ones in the refrigerated section and take them daily.

If you tried probiotics did you use the good refrigerated ones? The ones on the shelf at the pharmacy do not have live cultures so they won't work. You need to go to a health food store and purchase good quality ones in the refrigerated section and take them daily.

I took the 'shelf' ones - I will try the refrigerated ones - thank you!

I had severe thrush last year and grapefruit seed extract was a lifesaver. Take it both by pill and then mix a solution of drops to liquid and brush on tongue. I also went on a complete elimination diet for one month and slowly reintroduced wheat, dairy, etc.

I took the 'shelf' ones - I will try the refrigerated ones - thank you!

An excellent refrigerated one is VSL#3. We were recommended to get that one by 2 doctors at CHoP for my daughter.

When my kids were babies, they treated thrush with gentian violet. Messy but effective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter