• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thrilled with point rental so far!

lablady

Mouseketeer
We aren't DVC owners, but we have fallen in LOVE with Aulani. My DDs and I went there for the first time back in Dec 2012, and my DH and I went there in April and he loved it as much as I hoped that he would!

So....we immediately started dreaming of how to get back! I've always taken advantage of specials, so paying full price is just not gonna fly. ESPECIALLY after our last trip, when they upgraded us from our pool view room to an ocean view room on the 16th floor!! Now my DH says that he doesn't ever want to do a lesser room type....a monster has been created. :scared:

Here's what I found for prices:
10-27 thru 11-4, 8 nights, Ocean View

OV Hotel room: $6756
OV Deluxe studio $5844
OV Deluxe studio point rental through David's DVC rental: $2912

Holy heck! OMG! No WAY! :rotfl2:

THIS is how we can enjoy Aulani as often as we want without actually buying DVC. I know that I could save even more money by going direct to a DVC owner, but I'm easing my way into this rental business. Maybe someday I'll be brave enough.:lmao:

So far, so good. David's got me booked super quick, on a Sunday, no less. Got the payment paid, got the rental agreement signed. Done! We're committed and that's that. The only downside is paying the entire thing up front and not being able to cancel. I'm thinking about trip insurance just in case.

Anything else that I should be aware of, not having rented before? I'm just so jazzed to have been able to make this work for so little $$. It's almost $1000 LESS than I paid for 8 nights pool view studio, during a Buy 3 get 1 free special! (2 nights free!) :thumbsup2

We aren't DVC owners, but we have fallen in LOVE with Aulani. My DDs and I went there for the first time back in Dec 2012, and my DH and I went there in April and he loved it as much as I hoped that he would!

So....we immediately started dreaming of how to get back! I've always taken advantage of specials, so paying full price is just not gonna fly. ESPECIALLY after our last trip, when they upgraded us from our pool view room to an ocean view room on the 16th floor!! Now my DH says that he doesn't ever want to do a lesser room type....a monster has been created. :scared:

Here's what I found for prices:
10-27 thru 11-4, 8 nights, Ocean View

OV Hotel room: $6756
OV Deluxe studio $5844
OV Deluxe studio point rental through David's DVC rental: $2912

Holy heck! OMG! No WAY! :rotfl2:

THIS is how we can enjoy Aulani as often as we want without actually buying DVC. I know that I could save even more money by going direct to a DVC owner, but I'm easing my way into this rental business. Maybe someday I'll be brave enough.:lmao:

So far, so good. David's got me booked super quick, on a Sunday, no less. Got the payment paid, got the rental agreement signed. Done! We're committed and that's that. The only downside is paying the entire thing up front and not being able to cancel. I'm thinking about trip insurance just in case.

Anything else that I should be aware of, not having rented before? I'm just so jazzed to have been able to make this work for so little $$. It's almost $1000 LESS than I paid for 8 nights pool view studio, during a Buy 3 get 1 free special! (2 nights free!) :thumbsup2

Congrats - Happy for you.

You will not get daily housekeeping. Housekeeping service is very limited and the type and frequency depends on your length of stay. If you stay less than 8 nights, you will get trash picked up and towels replaced on Day 4. Day 1 is check in day.

Trip insurance is a good idea, since you are locked in - no changes or cancellations can be made.

Have fun!

Hi There, :wave2:

We love Aulani also. Staying on the DVC side is different from the hotel side as CarolIMN has said. No turn down service; no clean sheets every day. However, you are in an awesome hotel, and your "own" apartment. Enjoy!!!!

P.S. Have you been to the shopping center across the street? There is great food and wine there... :)

Congrats - Happy for you.

You will not get daily housekeeping. Housekeeping service is very limited and the type and frequency depends on your length of stay. If you stay less than 8 nights, you will get trash picked up and towels replaced on Day 4. Day 1 is check in day.

Trip insurance is a good idea, since you are locked in - no changes or cancellations can be made.

Have fun!

How do you get more towels or coffee? Just call housekeeping? I can't imagine that they wouldn't give us more if asked....

P.S. Have you been to the shopping center across the street? There is great food and wine there... :)

We spent so much money there last trip that we got free goodies on the last day. Nothing amazing, just a calendar and mug. :rotfl2:

It will be weird having to make our bed and set up the sleeper every day. Worth the savings though! :thumbsup2

How do you get more towels or coffee? Just call housekeeping? I can't imagine that they wouldn't give us more if asked....

We spent so much money there last trip that we got free goodies on the last day. Nothing amazing, just a calendar and mug. :rotfl2:

It will be weird having to make our bed and set up the sleeper every day. Worth the savings though! :thumbsup2

Thinking Aulani has the same rules as all DVC's. You can get additional towel packages for a fee. But you do have a Washer and dryer free available for studio and in the room for everyone else, have fun! We leave this Sat and I priced out our room for fun and the forth of July week, a 2 bedroom pool view room was are you ready..... $22,000/ I couldn't believe it. :eek:

Thinking Aulani has the same rules as all DVC's. You can get additional towel packages for a fee. But you do have a Washer and dryer free available for studio and in the room for everyone else, have fun! We leave this Sat and I priced out our room for fun and the forth of July week, a 2 bedroom pool view room was are you ready..... $22,000/ I couldn't believe it. :eek:

$22,000?!? That's insane. If I was willing and able to pay that much I'd just buy into DVC!:confused3

Yep, that's why we DID buy DVC, to visit Aulani! When I saw the cash price for a 2bdrm, DH instantly said, "Let's just buy DVC." We'd been on the fence about it and are so glad we did it. We loved Aulani when we visited last fall.

When we bought our points back in '05, I was on the fence about the expense, but as it were, it was the best decision I ever made. It has more than paid itself off for us! My only complaint about it is that it seems that I'm running out of points much quicker than I used to and there is less flexibility to book last minute vacations due to all the planning you have to do now ahead if time... It kind of takes away from the original reason I bought in the first place... My opinion anyway

The answer should be no, they wouldn't. Member dues pay for those services and its known that additional coffee or towels is an extra cost per night. Its not a big deal however, just pack your own coffee and you will have access to a washer and dryer (no charge). You already are benefiting with tremendous savings versus cash, so that is just a small inconvenience for the savings. Not pointing you out by any means, but both renters and owners still fail to realize its a timeshare. Every extra perk or benefit doesn't cost Disney anything, they don't own or pay maintenance for these rooms, the DVC owners do by contract. Every extra coffee package, set of towels, room cleanings and other items are a cost to owners, not a Disney freebie. With that said, I'm excited you guys are going and thanks for renting points! As owners, its a great option to have the ability to rent points to others. Glad you enjoy the resort and hope y'all have a great trip!:cool1::cool1:

One more thing...

You have the option of full service housekeeping if you choose. I believe its $45 per night and you can order it for some or all nights.

So glad you are happy! As an owner I love it too. We were able to secure a rental reservation for a family of 4 at Aulani at 7 mos for a Davids rental for May. It helped us out a lot this year and gave someone a great vacation!

Pre-ownership we rented direct from an owner through the DIS rent/trade and it was a good experience. I have a friend who only stays DVC and always rents direct. It's possible to have those great experiences. Read the renters guide and be "in the know".

Glad you're enjoying it so far.

With the great savings that comes with renting a DVC reservation comes other aspects you have to be comfortable with.

Getting extra towels and coffee is one of them...they are not free but you can purchase them when you are there...we always get an extra towel pack or two at the beginning so everyone ends up with 2 towels each and then I use the washer/dryer if need...worth the $6 that is costs for each.

But, as indicated, as members, we cover all of those costs and as a group, pay as you go seems to be the level of comfort everyone wants.

And, we love the fact that no one will be entering the room...making the beds has so far not been an issue...we throw up the stuff and call it a day...

As you mention, the savings can be substantial and for many, the pros do outweigh the cons!

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter