"Thrill" rides and seniors?

wdwfan757

Mouseketeer
I really hope this doesn't come across as insensitive to anyone, but I could use some advice!

Going to the World with my parents (DD 65 and DD 63) along with my aunt and cousin. I'm the resident wdw expert in the family these days and my parents haven't gone in at least 10 years. My mom would NEVER go on anything more exciting than Peter Pan (she would go hysterical about "flying"), but Dad used to go on EVERYTHING. He's retired Air Force and holds most of the stereotypes you'd have about retired military people in their 60s (aka, he's stubborn and still thinks he's superman). I've been tasked with picking rides and making daily itineraries and am honestly unsure of what rides a 65 year old guy shouldn't go on at disney world (I'd prefer to just leave them off the plan and pretend they don't exist).?

Anyone else found themself in this situation? Normally I figure you'd just let them decide what they felt comfortable with, but i'm tellin ya, my old man isn't going to shy away from anything, whether it's a good idea or not.

Background: 6'4, no medical conditions, family history of hypertension.

The only rides that really came to mind were Space Mountain (because i'm 25 and I'M sore afterwards) and moreso Mission Space Orange.

IMO a healthy 60+ year old person can (and SHOULD, if he would enjoy it) go on EVERYTHING at WDW. I know plenty of 60 year olds who run marathons and, I'm CERTAIN, whose bodies can hold up to more than my own. 65 isn't that old. So I wouldn't leave anything off the itinerary if it was me. Now, you don't have to encourage him going on 10 times in a row - but once will certainly be fine.

My own mother, 67 at the time, came with us last year. Her health is not the best...She has MS and had bypass surgery 6 years ago. My sister was worried during a holdup on Test Track that it was them calling in paramedics for her...But it wasn't. Also - she decided to go on EE TWICE with the grandkids. I was very nervous the whole time, but I figured if she went - she'd die happy. Honestly it wasn't up to me anyway - She is in charge of her own ride choices. And, I have to tell you, it is once of the kids' best memories from the trip - grandma going on EE with them twice!

So let your dad go for it! :)

We went with my 70 year old grandmom a few years ago and tower of terror was one of her favorites! If they have no heart conditions, I don't see a problem with anything they are comfortable with. My grandmom wouldn't go on rnrc or Everest as she thought they were too wild for her. She did go on big thunder and I can't remember about space...

There are no warnings for age, just for some health conditions.
Since they are healthy, they can and should ride nothing they want to.

(Family history of hypertension is not a risk factor - there is a warning for some attractions if the person riding has hypertension.)

DH and I are well into our 60's and there is no physical reason that prevents us from going on any attraction at WDW. Neither of us are prime physical specimens, but none of the posted warnings given for the 'thrill rides' applies to us. We may avoid Space Mountain because we find it too jerky and jarring now, but that's just personal preference.

Allears.net has a pretty comprehensive list that gives all of the ride restrictions at WDW. Have a look and see if any would apply to your father. If they do, draw this to his attention. It is up to him to decide whether or not to ride, not you (even though your intentions are good :))

Here's a link to the list: http://allears.net/tp/rr.htm

I really hope this doesn't come across as insensitive to anyone, but I could use some advice!

Going to the World with my parents (DD 65 and DD 63) along with my aunt and cousin. I'm the resident wdw expert in the family these days and my parents haven't gone in at least 10 years. My mom would NEVER go on anything more exciting than Peter Pan (she would go hysterical about "flying"), but Dad used to go on EVERYTHING. He's retired Air Force and holds most of the stereotypes you'd have about retired military people in their 60s (aka, he's stubborn and still thinks he's superman). I've been tasked with picking rides and making daily itineraries and am honestly unsure of what rides a 65 year old guy shouldn't go on at disney world (I'd prefer to just leave them off the plan and pretend they don't exist).?

Anyone else found themself in this situation? Normally I figure you'd just let them decide what they felt comfortable with, but i'm tellin ya, my old man isn't going to shy away from anything, whether it's a good idea or not.

The only rides that really came to mind were Space Mountain (because i'm 25 and I'M sore afterwards) and moreso Mission Space Orange.

You may want to avoid Rock N' Roll Roller Coaster or The Hollywood Tower of Terror, if speed is a huge concern. I also would probably add the the list the Matterhorn.

DH and I are well into our 60's and there is no physical reason that prevents us from going on any attraction at WDW. Neither of us are prime physical specimens, but none of the posted warnings given for the 'thrill rides' applies to us. We may avoid Space Mountain because we find it too jerky and jarring now, but that's just personal preference.

Allears.net has a pretty comprehensive list that gives all of the ride restrictions at WDW. Have a look and see if any would apply to your father. If they do, draw this to his attention. It is up to him to decide whether or not to ride, not you (even though your intentions are good :))

Here's a link to the list: http://allears.net/tp/rr.htm
There's also a list of attractions with warnings in post 23 on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.

You can follow the link in my signature to that threád.

This reminds me of a cute experience I had back in December of 1995 when visiting WDW. After a day at MK, we were waiting for resort buses and struck up a conversation with a retired couple who were RVing around the country, and had stopped there for a few days.

The woman asked if we had gone on Space Mountain, and then immediately started saying that she didn't know it was a roller coaster, and was so scared and hated every minute. (I felt like asking, "with signs advising heart patients and pregnant woman to skip the ride, what did you think it was?", but I refrained. ;) )

She was very sweet, but so funny as she kept describing how awful it was. There was a pause, and then her husband looked at us, shrugged and smiled, and said, "I loved it!" :rotfl2:

DH and I qualify as seniors and up until we moved from central FL back to PA last August, we went to Disney regularly -- as often as crowds and weather allowed. Neither of us likes the super hot humid days and add a crowd and it's just a no-go for us personally.
We never did do space mountain. Just didn't care to try it. And likewise we never did R and R. Don't want to be "flipped" around. We didn't try EE because both of us have heart issues and just decided it wasn't for us. I kept track of it the whole time it was being built and was looking forward to it til I watched it from outside and changed my mind!!
You might be surprised that they'll be willing to try things -- or at least your Dad. We never were thrill ride junkies, but lots of folks our age are. I just turned 70 and DH is 72.
;)

My grandfather rode everything at Disney and Universal, including the Hulk etc until he was 78. Nothing really bothered him but he was in tip top shape.

65 really isn't old, your Dad can still enjoy whatever he wants.

We brought my Grandmother and Grandfather when they were in their late 80's and early 90's. We decided to avoid the Magic Kingdom and thrill rides there. Instead we went to Epcot and rode: Soarin twice, Test Track, Mission Space Easy, and ALL the other rides in Future World. Well, as we were leaving the park that day my grandmother remarked, "That was fun, but we didn't ride any rides." What?! When I asked her to clarify, she was disappointed that we hadn't ridden any roller coasters, and she was almost 90!!! So yeah, let your Dad ride all the rides. Just don't put him in the back of Space Mountain, the front seat is a much smoother ride. Also, avoid anything that spins, like the tea cups, I've found that as I age spinning is getting to me more and more, so I imagine by 65 I will be completely unable to ride the tea cups.

Perhaps do Big Thunder Mountain before Space Mountain. If he doesn't like Big Thunder, then skip Space Mountain.

My parents are in their 60's and love all the rides at Disney. (Except the spinning ones!)

As long as you are healthy I don't see why they would have any issues with any of the rides.

Have fun!:)

My Aunt (62) and Uncle (72) go to Florida every year for 30 days and go on pretty much everything. My Aunt draws the line at certain rides but my Uncle goes on absolutely everything and anything! Last year he stopped along a road to go on one of those bungee things that catapults you inside a cage into the sky! His favourite park is Busch Gardens as he feels Disney rides are too 'tame' for him :rotfl: I'd say don't worry about it and have fun seeing him enjoy the rides he wants to do! :)

My parents are in their 60's but they choose not to ride the "thrill rides". But my mom does love TT at Epcot. That is probably the "thrill ride" she does. On my trip, I talked to an older grandmother who rode RnRC at DHS with her grandkids and loved it.

My parents are in their mid 60's, and I never think of them as old until I see threads like this on The Dis! As for rides, they have both had back injuries, so they have to be careful of jerky rides like Splash Mt. My mom also has to be careful of motion sickness, but she's been that way her entire life.

I would advise that all of you go into the queues together. Even if your mother doesn't want to ride anything more exciting than Peter Pan. Your mother can opt out right before you board the ride vehicles. This is available for all Disney World attractions. If your father decides not to ride for whatever reason, he can join her. Then whoever is left can ride and the only time you'd be apart is for the length of the actual ride. Very simple and easy to do. At any Disney World attraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter