Thrifty Experiences?

rpbear

DIS Veteran
I just decided today to rent a car for our trip 07/21 thru 07/27. The rates seem higher than I have ever paid. It might be because it is so close to our trip. Anyway, the best price I can find is from Thrifty. I was wondering how long it takes to get to your rental car since they are not located at the airport? Are shuttles available at all times are do they run at certain times. Any help or information would be apprecaited.

can't answer your question on shuttle, but what kind of car did you rent ? and how much does it cost?
Have you looked into mousesavers.com for discount quote?

I have tried using some of the codes from mousesavers and have not come up with a lower price. I have been doing this at work so I will try some more tonight. Currently I have a Premium Car (Chrylser Concord, one up frm a full size) for $188.10. This car was cheaper than a full size. But I have seen posts where other people are getting full size cars for around $150 which would be fantastic.

Haven't used Thrifty in Orlando so I can't answer your specific questions but I have had good experiences with them elsewhere. If you do decide to use Thrifty, try running your dates and preferences through carrentals.com. In the past I've found the best Thrifty rates there and had no problems reserving through the site.

I have a full-size car booked with Thrifty for 17 days in August for $386 with taxes. I was able to get the car at $119.99/week when I booked. This was the best rate I could find anywhere even with using all the codes available.
Thirfty is located off-site about two miles from the airport. It is about a five minute shuttle ride and they run continuously. I have had friends rent with Thrifty in the past month and they were very pleased with the whole process.
Don't forget to use the Walmart code (WMRT) when booking. It will save you another 10% and is available to everyone.

We usually use Priceline, which doesn't deal with Thrifty, but we rented from them a couple of times when Bill Shatner didn't come through for us and they had the best price. I was pleased with their service; the shuttle was already right there waiting, and the lines were minor. They are right next door to Hertz, who I also get sometimes on Priceline. Their cars were decent, and I think we got a free upgrade on at least one of our trips. The only negative I ever encountered was the counter man getting snippy when he started to go into the insurance spiel and I told him not to bother. But I'll be avoiding that in the future anyway because I signed up for Blue Chip. It's free, and they send you a coupon for10 percent off your next rental.
Barb

We just got back from using Thrifty and had a great experience. The shuttle was there waiting for us after we got our luggage. The only problem was that it is kind of a hike from the luggage pick up to the shuttle. A man at the shuttle asked our name and asked if we were Blue Chip members. We had signed up for the Blue Chip program when we made our reservation, so we told him "yes." He typed our name in a mini computer and said he would have our car ready as soon as we checked into the Blue Chip counter. The shuttle ride took 5 minutes or so because of traffic lights and traffic. My husband went right to the Blue Chip counter. There was no line at all and signed some papers. The man asked if we wanted to upgrade to a Grand Caravan, and my husband said only if we get it for the same price. The man handed us some keys for a van that was parked out front. When we got to it, we found it was a Grand Caravan afterall, and we were on our way. I saved a ton of money by renting from Thrifty. We originally had a reservation with Dollar and after taxes and fees that was going to cost us $245. We were also going to have to pay $5/day for an additional driver. At Thrifty, we paid $206 including taxes and fees and they don't charge for an additional driver if the driver is a spouse. There is a gas station across the street where we filled the tank prior to dropping the car back off at the end of the trip. Dropping off the car was painless too. We pulled up, they checked for dents and loaded us right on a shuttle that took us to the curbside for our airline. I would definately rent from Thrifty again.
-Amy

What size of car did you have reserved at Thrifty when they upgraded you to a Grand caravan? I reserved an economy at Thrifty for 125.00 total (including taxes and fees) for July 3-10 and was hoping for a upgrade. Just wishing!?!

We've gotten upgrades from economy at Thrifty, although never a caravan! Usually just a class or two.
Barb

Thrifty has regular Caravans, along with Grand Caravans which are bigger..... I am guessing dougsmom98 had a minvan reserved and they upgraded them to a bigger van..... I highly doubt you would ever get an upgrade from an economy to a van.... though it would make your day, I am sure!

duds

Watch out for that Blue Chip program! I recently had an unusual rental car charge that I knew was not mine. After some investigation and the canceling of my credit card, the credit card company and I figured that someone with a simliar Blue Chip number somehow charged to my account. I'm not sure if this is a fluke situation but it is kind of a pain for me to have to get a new credit card #.

Just keep an eye on your statements if you're using Blue Chip.

Joanne
:earsgirl:

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. A previous poster asked how I got upgraded to a Grand Caravan, I had a normal minivan reserved and they gave us a Grand. It isn't a huge difference but it was nice to try one out since we eventually want to trade our Caravan in for a Grand. There is more room in the back and more leg room compared to a regular sized Caravan.
-Amy :)

I wasn't even going to rent a car when I went down for my trip in August . I was just going to utilize the buses and the transportation from my hotel, but after seeing what I could get with Thrifty, I decided to change my mind. I looked for so long for a good deal and just could not find anything for under $350 for my 12 day holiday.
I ended up trying Thrifty, and found an aconomy car for $237 for the 12 days that I will be there (Aug. 25 - Sept. 6). This is using the WMRT code. The cost was $95/week, and after all the taxes, the car still only costs $19.80/day.
I figured that this is a great deal. I currently drive an economy car right now and will take it there as well. I am secretly hoping that they will give me a free upgrade, but if not, I am fine with that as well.
Thanks,
Jo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter