Thrifty car rental...what's the catch?

toystorymom

DIS Veteran
I've been looking for a mini van for 8 days over Christmas and have been in shock over the prices. I had tried every code I could find for National, Alamo, etc. and I couldn't get a price less than $700. :eek: Now I've checked Thrifty and for the same 8 days with a code on MouseSavers (which is the best, thank you Mary!) I was quoted a price of $205!! Huge difference!

I know that they are off site but there will be 3 adults in our group. Could one of them take the shuttle to get the car while we get the luggage and then come pick us up? To save $500, this seems like kind of a minor inconvenience.

OK, so let's hear it. Anyone have good or bad experiences with Thrifty they can share? Thanks!

We've used them a few times when we couldn't get something via Priceline, and our experiences were fine. The shuttle was there waiting every time, and the only slight negative was a heavy push on the insurance (only happened once). I will probably use them again when I can't get somethingon Priceline.
Barb

I made reservations for XMAS back in May when prices were about 1/2 what they are now. I've used codes from mousesavers.com many, many times, but I'm a bit leary of the AU02 code, which is what I assume you used. I went ahead and made a minivan reservation, and lowered my price by about $100 from what I got in May, but I'm definitely going to keep an eye on these boards and see if people are able to use it OK. I'm going to keep my other reservation as a back-up for now.

That code specified something about airlines miles given on Northwest. We're not flying Northwest, nor do we participate in their airline program, so what if this causes a problem, and Thrifty tries to charge the current going rate which is about triple what I got with this code. Does anyone have any specifics about this code or has anyone successfully used it?

Yes, I used the AU02 code, which is a great deal. I read about the Northwest promotion on Mousesavers also but couldn't find anything at all about it on the Thrifty website. Actually, I just looked at the confirmation and while it confirms date, location, and price, nowhere on it is it printed which code (if any) was used to make the reservation.

What happens if you show up with a printed reservation confirmation, can they change the price on you then?

Now you have me concerned as well!

I have great prices from National for Christmas.

Intermediate car using the "Priceless" code "6600330" and the Entertainment Book Coupon for $20 off "10008615" I get:

Reservation Information

Capacity
Seating

Luggage

Intermediate 2/4 Door Car Auto A/C

Pick-up:
Orlando Intl Arpt
23-December-2004 12:00 PM

Return:
Orlando Intl Arpt
30-December-2004 12:00 PM

Rates - Time & Distance USD
Time & Distance 1 Week @ 161.59 161.59
Extra - Time & Distance 0 Day @ 27.99 0.00
Extra - Time & Distance 0 Hour @ 13.99 0.00
Unlimited Distance-time & Distance 0 Distance @ 0.00 0.00

Base Rate _______

Less Discount:
Entertainment 2004 Book -20.00

Sub Total _______

Add Surcharges & Taxes: (subject to change)
Fl Schrg/tire Bat Fee 2.05 Usd/dy 14.35
License Recoupment Fee .49 Usd/dy 3.43
State Tax (6.50%) 10.36
Fftxrsu (0.0%) 0.45

Total Estimate _______

Oops. Sorry, I just saw you were looking for a minivan. $205 for a minivan is a great rate!

I'll be trying Thrifty for the first time on our next trip. I got $121 (pre-tax) for a full-sized car while all the others were more than twice as much!

Just completed a trip including a Thrifty rental, no problems at all.

Booked a subcompact for about $90. a week, added on an eighth day, total including fees and taxes about $150. Shortly after booking, advertised weekly rate went up to around $120.

I would avoid using codes for which I don't know the terms and conditions. That means, for example, before using the Entertainment Book code, have the coupon in front of you. Don't just use a code somebody gives you, you may find you have to show something you don't have, such as a Sam's Club card or an AAA card.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

You wouldn't be caught dead booking a Disney room with some code someone "just gave you" and it books OK but when you get there they ask to see your premium annual pass that you did not intend to buy -- would you?

I booked the AUO2 code for our trip on Monday. It only states that you get 500 Northwest Airline miles but doesn't say you have to be flying in on that airline. There are no other terms or conditions stated that aren't standard on any other company's list of terms.

The worst that could happen is I get there and have to book something else. Thrifty is cheaper than any other rates I checked so it shouldn't matter too much if I have to book something else on the spot.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes since we'll be back next Saturday. If it works out, I'll be using the code for a van in November.

Have a great trip poohkinandpiglet! We'll be waiting for your Thrift report when you return. Thanks!

SeashoreCM, the website doesn't list any terms and conditions for using that code. I tried it on Travelocity as well and it worked no problem. And, I found the code on MouseSavers, which we have all had great luck with in the past. I'm keeping a positive attitude that we got a great deal.

I have paid only slightly higher for a minivan in the past, so I know it's not completely too good to be true.

For that AU02 code...go to NWA.com and sign up for their rewards card (World Perks I believe) and that way you are kind of legal using the code, plus you get 500 points for using Thrifty.

Just returned from using Thrifty. I got a minivan for $301 for 9 days July 31 - August 8th. Had no problems. Used either the AU02 or AU11. The code I used talked about Wal-mart in the fine print. Was never asked for anything. Signed up for the blue chip program and was never pressured or asked about insurance. We had no problem checking in or checking out........all went extremely smoothly. We returned the car 1 1/2 hrs. shy of 9 days and they actually charged us less than the $301..........not exactly 8 days but better than the full 9.........$287..........also we got a Grand Caravan! We were happy about that! We have always booked at the airport but for the savings we would use thrifty again. When we arrived at the airport the thrifty shuttle was right there and when we returned the car a shuttle was right there and wisked us to the airport in no time. Good experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter