• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thrice Upon a Christmas: A December 2015 PTR

Chapter 6:
This isn't flying. This is falling with style.

When we were planning our first Christmas trip in 2013, we actually planned to suck it up and drive the 16 hours to Orlando, just because we figured that the cost to fly during the holidays would be insane, and for once, we had the luxury of time.

Then in June, Frontier Airlines announced new service from Wilmington, DE (ILG) to MCO and we were able to get flights for our dates for $250 per person round-trip. Not too shabby, and certainly better than spending 2+ full days in the car to get down there and back. It worked out well. Parking is free at ILG so we saved another $100 right there. We did have to pay for checked bags though, and to ship two enormous boxes of gifts and decorations down to the resort. Also a bummer, though lesser, is that Frontier is not eligible for resort airline check-in so we had to haul our own luggage back on the Tragical Depress.

We planned to fly them again in 2014, but with all their changes in becoming an ultra-low cost carrier, Frontier took forever to release their December flight schedule. Since I wanted our flights booked before we got to 180 days for ADRs, we went ahead and booked flights on US Airways out of Philly for $260 per person roundtrip. Not as good as in 2013, considering we had to pay for airport parking and to check 4 bags in each direction (an extra $200!) But decent. And we qualified for resort airline check-in, which is always nice with all that luggage!

This year, I was prepared.

Based on what others on the DIS have said, it sounded like Southwest would be worth checking out. I set a reminder on my calendar for May 14th when Southwest would be extending their schedule through December. I was online right at 6:00 am waiting for the new dates to open up. I was able to book our flight down for $129 per person and our flight back for $160 per person, so $289 per person, round-trip. Not as low as the previous years, but with free bags on Southwest, we still came out ahead.

Having learned from fellow DISers, I’ve been watching the fares like a hawk.

Within hours, the return flight home was up $73, to $233 per person. Phew! Glad I booked when I did.

Then, the next afternoon, I checked again and the flight down to MCO was down to $73 per person. I quickly modified our booking to the new price… $56 per person credit… $224 total savings! SCORE!

Within a couple of hours, it was back up to $83 per person and it’s been holding steady at $123 per person ever since.

So as of now, our flights cost $233 per person round-trip AND we get free bags AND resort airline check-in! It would cost us $356 per person round-trip if we booked it now. And I will keep stalking, in case we can shave a few more bucks off! We can always use the credit for one the other 3 WDW trips we have in the works!

I am OFFICIALLY a Southwest convert!

AND what’s extra special, super awesome, is that the flight times work out so that we basically get 11 full days at Disney!

Our flight down leaves PHL at 5:30 am (ugh) but we land in Orlando at 8:00 am (yay!), so we can practically rope-drop the parks. And our flight back on the 27th, doesn’t leave MCO until 9:05 pm, so we can get a solid day then too!

Now we just need to find a good deal for DSis and her family. Since they aren’t joining us until Saturday, flights are naturally more expensive. Plus they would be flying out of Norfolk, VA (ORF) so they don’t have the advantage of being a hub airport in a major city. The lowest fare out of ORF for their dates is $549 per person round-trip. Ouch!

Even if we have them drive a bit, to fly out of Richmond, the best we’ve been able to find them so far is $465 per person round-trip. We will keep stalking a good deal for them. DSis also mentioned that servicemembers can get discounted flights out of Norfolk, so she’s looking in to see if that might help.

They may have to suck it up and drive up to DC or Baltimore to get a reasonable fare. Or drive. At least it’s only 11 hours for them.

Hopefully we will find something before ADR day on 6/20!

Chapter 6:
This isn't flying. This is falling with style.

When we were planning our first Christmas trip in 2013, we actually planned to suck it up and drive the 16 hours to Orlando, just because we figured that the cost to fly during the holidays would be insane, and for once, we had the luxury of time.

Then in June, Frontier Airlines announced new service from Wilmington, DE (ILG) to MCO and we were able to get flights for our dates for $250 per person round-trip. Not too shabby, and certainly better than spending 2+ full days in the car to get down there and back. It worked out well. Parking is free at ILG so we saved another $100 right there. We did have to pay for checked bags though, and to ship two enormous boxes of gifts and decorations down to the resort. Also a bummer, though lesser, is that Frontier is not eligible for resort airline check-in so we had to haul our own luggage back on the Tragical Depress.

We planned to fly them again in 2014, but with all their changes in becoming an ultra-low cost carrier, Frontier took forever to release their December flight schedule. Since I wanted our flights booked before we got to 180 days for ADRs, we went ahead and booked flights on US Airways out of Philly for $260 per person roundtrip. Not as good as in 2013, considering we had to pay for airport parking and to check 4 bags in each direction (an extra $200!) But decent. And we qualified for resort airline check-in, which is always nice with all that luggage!

This year, I was prepared.

Based on what others on the DIS have said, it sounded like Southwest would be worth checking out. I set a reminder on my calendar for May 14th when Southwest would be extending their schedule through December. I was online right at 6:00 am waiting for the new dates to open up. I was able to book our flight down for $129 per person and our flight back for $160 per person, so $289 per person, round-trip. Not as low as the previous years, but with free bags on Southwest, we still came out ahead.

Having learned from fellow DISers, I’ve been watching the fares like a hawk.

Within hours, the return flight home was up $73, to $233 per person. Phew! Glad I booked when I did.

Then, the next afternoon, I checked again and the flight down to MCO was down to $73 per person. I quickly modified our booking to the new price… $56 per person credit… $224 total savings! SCORE!

Within a couple of hours, it was back up to $83 per person and it’s been holding steady at $123 per person ever since.

So as of now, our flights cost $233 per person round-trip AND we get free bags AND resort airline check-in! It would cost us $356 per person round-trip if we booked it now. And I will keep stalking, in case we can shave a few more bucks off! We can always use the credit for one the other 3 WDW trips we have in the works!

I am OFFICIALLY a Southwest convert!

AND what’s extra special, super awesome, is that the flight times work out so that we basically get 11 full days at Disney!

Our flight down leaves PHL at 5:30 am (ugh) but we land in Orlando at 8:00 am (yay!), so we can practically rope-drop the parks. And our flight back on the 27th, doesn’t leave MCO until 9:05 pm, so we can get a solid day then too!

Now we just need to find a good deal for DSis and her family. Since they aren’t joining us until Saturday, flights are naturally more expensive. Plus they would be flying out of Norfolk, VA (ORF) so they don’t have the advantage of being a hub airport in a major city. The lowest fare out of ORF for their dates is $549 per person round-trip. Ouch!

Even if we have them drive a bit, to fly out of Richmond, the best we’ve been able to find them so far is $465 per person round-trip. We will keep stalking a good deal for them. DSis also mentioned that servicemembers can get discounted flights out of Norfolk, so she’s looking in to see if that might help.

They may have to suck it up and drive up to DC or Baltimore to get a reasonable fare. Or drive. At least it’s only 11 hours for them.

Hopefully we will find something before ADR day on 6/20!

I don't fly terribly often, used to do some on continental, I think once on united or American, but since I've found southwest, every booking I've had control over has been through them. I've taken two flights on them in the last two years, and have nothing to complain about except the occasional passenger who doesn't realize 54 comes AFTER 51, and such.

But, I'm not terribly picky about my seat, so long as I am not squeezed between two Hyacinths, I'm okay. If dingleberry 54 is that Needy and inconsiderate, let him pick a spot first so I can pick one near someone that seems more pleasant. :)

And their lack of change fees plus free bags makes me feel like it's a TRIP, not an inconvenience to the airline, like I'm bothering them to get me where I need to go. Lol.

Not to mention that their rapid rewards are soooo friendly to infrequent fliers like me. Points last until I use them, so long as I earn at least one point every two years. LOL. That's not to say they won't devalue them into nothing, but at least they don't vanish into the ether, either.

We managed to combine cash and points across three reservations (as explained in my PTR), and got RT for three from Austin to MCO for roughly $536. Can't beat that, unless I could get the same fare out of San Antonio. :)

Exactly, squeegee!

I used to see people on here praising SW but every time I checked their prices, they seemed high. I didn't realize how often the prices jump around or that it was so easy (and free!) to change it if it got cheaper.

We've been fairly loyal to Frontier for the last couple of years because we keep getting good deals. (We got all four of us to MCO roundtrip at spring break for $540 total, and similarly for our upcoming August trip, for $472 total!) but they are really annoying now that they don't release schedules well in advance. I'll still fly Frontier if the price is right, but I think Southwest is my go-to now.

I've already got a reminder on my calendar that Southwest will extend into March on 6/30, so I can book flights for me and DH for Marathon weekend in January and Princess Half weekend in February!

Chapter 6's quote is from...

woodybuzz_zpshpel7idd.jpg

Toy Story!

WOODY:
Ahhh!! This is the part where we blow up!

BUZZ:
Not today!

Buzz confidently presses the button on his chest. Wings jut out of Buzz, severing the tape that holds him to rocket. The toys separate from the rocket just before it BLOWS UP.

The toys plummet.

WOODY:
(covering his eyes) Ah-h-h-h-h!!

Just then Buzz banks under some power lines and soars upward again. Woody takes a peek.

They're flying.

WOODY:
Hey, Buzz!! You're flying!!

BUZZ:

This isn't flying. This is falling -- with style!

WOODY:
Ha ha!! To Infinity and Beyond!!

They soar gracefully towards the moving truck, but then pass over it.

WOODY:
Uh, Buzz?! We missed the truck!

BUZZ:
We're not aiming for the truck!

Chapter 7:
But August-- I'm going to take August.

I’ve got a loose plan for the Christmas trip based on our flights and Kenny the Pirate’s crowd calendar, but there’s still too much up in the air to solidify them for real.

I’m waiting for easyWDW’s recommendations to come out (and he’s waiting on WDW to get their act together with EMH and schedules for the end of December) and I need DSis to book her flights, so I can truly optimize each day, park and ADR-wise.

So while we wait, we’ll talk about August instead!

We went down to WDW the last week of August last year. It was hot, but not unbearable and the crowds were nothing. We booked a free dining bounceback at POFQ to come back this August, but weren’t positive we’d actually come back then, just because we have so many trips planned already. And with the APs, we don’t really need the tickets that you have to buy for free dining, and we’re already going to use the Christmas free dining park tickets to renew our APs in December. I did see a flight on US Airways for $152 per person roundtrip, and I almost booked it, but DH talked me out of it.

I had basically written off the August trip, but was just leaving it out there, just in case.

But then… I was playing around with the summer Passholder rates and saw that we could get a Preferred Room at Pop for $90 a night. Not bad, not bad at all. Hmmmmm.

Just for fun, I looked to see what the rates were at various other resorts too, and noticed that I could get the Cabins at Fort Wilderness for $213 per night.

Now, DS7 has been OBSESSED with the Cabins since we ate at the Hoop Dee Doo at Spring Break. (He was also wowed by Wilderness Lodge, the Poly, and the Contemporary – that boy has expensive tastes!) But staying at “the Hoop Dee Doo” as he calls it, became his top priority. We told him that it’s expensive so it would be hard for us to stay there. Immediately after we returned from Spring Break, he repurposed a 7 Dwarfs Mine Train popcorn bucket into a bank for his Hoop Dee Doo fund. Suddenly, the boy who fritters every penny he has on dollar store junk was putting it all in his HDD fund. He even convinced his sister to do the same. He became obsessed with how much things cost, and would chastise DH and I if we ordered pizza. I think he’s amassed $64 in there since April with no discernible income at all.

I got tempted… I mean the Cabins at $213 a night?!?!? That’s like 37% off rack rate (per the rates listed for that time period on Mousesavers) – that’s a pretty awesome deal!!!

So I secretly called and changed the POFQ bounceback to the AP rate at the Cabins. I didn’t tell the kids, because it still wasn’t a definite go. The $152 flight from earlier was long gone, but I figured I’d keep stalking flights to see what I could get.

Around the same time, our BFFs, who traveled with us last August and who had booked the same free dining bounceback as us, were planning to just cancel their theoretical trip outright. They recently had a third DD and wanted to save to do a bigger trip next year when she’d be old enough to appreciate it more.

But after hearing about the great rates we saw, my BFF started playing around with the idea of sending her DH and two older DDs down for a few days on the cheap. She became obsessed with that idea, but flights were still too expensive to make it work.

Then, one random night she called me and was like, “Frontier! Flights! Cheap! Now! Go!”

Sure enough, we were able to get flights for $59 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) each way for our EXACT dates. $472 for all four of us roundtrip! I booked the flights immediately.

BFF and her DH ran the numbers and decided that they could totally swing a cheap-o trip for him and the two older girls. So they quickly booked flights too, and then booked a room at All Star Music under the late summer offer.

So August went from being a completely theoretical trip on the chopping block to being a definite go! For both of us!

We’ll be there from Wednesday, 8/19 through Wednesday, 8/26 in the Cabins. And BFF’s DH and DD7 and DD5 will be there for basically the same time, 8/19-8/25 at ASMu.

Expanded trip details in the next chapter!!!

Last edited:
Hello! I'm also planning a December trip. Haven't been to Disney during the Christmas season since I was a kid so it is pretty much new for me! Looking forward to reading along as you plan. :cutie:

Hello! I'm also planning a December trip. Haven't been to Disney during the Christmas season since I was a kid so it is pretty much new for me! Looking forward to reading along as you plan. :cutie:

Welcome!

Christmas at Disney is THE best! I will check out your PTR!!

Chapter 7's quote is from...

atlantis_zpsvcddmbaw.jpg

Atlantis: The Lost Empire!

KIDA
Atlantis will honor your names forever. I only wish there was more we could do for you.

VINNY
Uh, you know, thanks anyway... but I think we're good.

MILO
They'll take you as far as the surface.

AUDREY
We are really going to miss you, Milo.

VINNY
You know, I'm going to reopen the flower shop... and I'm going to think of you guys every single day... Monday through Friday, Saturday until 2:00. Sunday... I'm going to take Sunday off probably, and... Maybe I'll go in for a couple of hours, you know... but August... I'm going to take August.

COOKIE
I ain't so good at speechifyin'... but I wanted you to have this. It's the bacon grease from the whole trip.

Chapter 8:
I'm kind of on a schedule here. I got plans for August.

Ok, so we will be staying at the Cabins from Wednesday, 8/19 through Wednesday, 8/26. SO EXCITED!

The super cheap Frontier flight we got is the 5:30 am flight that arrives at MCO at 8:00 am, so our first day is practically a whole day. The flight back on the 26th is an afternoon flight, so we get a bit of park time in the morning before we head home. Woo hoo!

We were able to get all the ADRs we wanted even though we didn't make any until a couple of weeks ago.

We are attempting to do an “unplanned” trip, at least by our standards. We will know which parks on which days, and have FPs and ADRs booked accordingly. But beyond that, no touring plans at all. (Usually, I do an hour-by-hour touring plan. We don’t always stick to it, but like having it drawn out as a model.) We will just try to go with the flow and incorporate some resort time since we’ll be at the Fort for the first time ever. After dinner time will be left wide open, for park hopping, resort time, or whatever we feel like doing. The middle of the day could work the same way, since we rope drop every day and could move FPs.

Here’s how our days break down right now:

Wednesday, 8/19: Arrival Day / Magic Kingdom

• Arrive at MCO at 7:55 am
  • Magical Express to FW
  • Late breakfast ADR at Trail’s End at 9:40 am (DS7’s specific request)
  • Head to MK for a bit
  • FPs TBD (early afternoon, probably 7DMT, BTM, and Splash)
  • Dinner at 4:00 pm Hoop Dee Doo (because we’re staying there!)
  • Early to bed, because of early flight (unless anyone wants to go back to MK)

Thursday, 8/20: EPCOT

• Join forces with BFF’s family
  • Rope drop EPCOT
  • FPs TBD (early afternoon, probably TT, Spaceship Earth, and Figment)
  • Dinner at 5:30 pm at Biergarten (just us, not BFF’s fam; another DS7 favorite)
Friday, 8/21: Magic Kingdom
  • Rope drop MK
  • FPs TBD (early afternoon, probably same as 8/19, 7DMT, BTM, and Splash)
  • Dinner at 4:40 pm at BOG (with BFF’s fam; everyone’s request)

Saturday, 8/22: Animal Kingdom

• Rope drop AK
  • FPs TBD (probably early afternoon for Everest, FOTLK, and a late as possible Safaris)
  • Dinner at 7:05 pm at Sanaa (just us; DH and I’s favorite)
  • Potentially, book Kids’ Nite Out to watch all 4 kids and all adults hit MK which is open until 2 a.m.

Sunday, 8/23: Hollywood Studios
  • Rope drop HS
  • Jedi Training for all 4 kids (first time they all get to do it together!)
  • FPs TBD (early afternoon, probably TSMM, Frozen Sing-Along, and TOT)
  • Dinner at 4:15 pm at Sci-Fi (just us; DD5’s request)

Monday, 8/24: EPCOT

• On our own (BFF’s fam is doing MK because it’s their last day)
  • Rope drop EPCOT
  • FPs TBD (early afternoon, probably Soarin’, Spaceship Earth, and Figment)
  • Dinner at 4:30 pm at Garden Grill (just us, not BFF’s fam; another kid favorite)
  • Potentially hop to MK to rejoin BFFs

Tuesday, 8/25: Magic Kingdom
  • On our own
  • Rope drop MK
  • FPs TBD (early afternoon, probably same as 8/19 and 8/21, 7DMT, BTM, and Splash)
  • Hop back to FW for dinner at 6:30 pm at Mickey’s Backyard BBQ (figured we need to try it since we’re there!)
  • Ideally, back to MK, but depends on level of tiredness

Wednesday, 8/26: AK or MK, Departure Day
  • Rope drop, probably AK because it has 8:00 am EMH, but maybe MK
  • FPs TBD (depending on park)
  • Tragical Depress back to MCO around noon
  • Fly back home at 2:55 pm, land at PHL at 5:20 pm

I’m also trying to get a BOG breakfast or lunch on 8/25, just because. But no big deal if we can’t since we’ve done both already.

We will book FPs on 6/20, which is actually the same day we will be booking ADRs for December. Fun for me – up at midnight to do August FPs and then back up at 6:00 am for December ADRs. Oh and I’ll be traveling from PA to MA to my parents’ house because we’re all going to Monster Jam in Boston that day. This will be fun.

Other than that, this August trip is as planned as it’s getting!

Chapter 8’s quote is from…

hercules_zps3tyulxt2.jpg

Hercules

HADES:
Baboom. Name is Hades, lord of the dead.

HERCULES:
Hi. How ya doin'? - Uh, not now, okay?

HADES:
Hey, hey. I only need a few seconds, and I'm a fast talker, all right? See, I've got this major deal in the works. A real estate venture, if you will. And, Herc, you little devil you. May I call you Herc? You seem to be constantly getting in the way of it, huh?

HERCULES:
You've got the wrong guy.

HADES:
Hear me out, ya little... Just hear me out, okay? So I would be eternally grateful if you would just... take a day off from this hero business of yours. Jeez, I mean, monsters, natural disasters. You wait a day, huh?

HERCULES:
You're out of your mind.

HADES:
Not so fast, because, ya see, I do have a little leverage you might wanna know about.

HERCULES:
Meg!

MEG:
Don't listen, Herc...

HERCULES:
Let her go!

HADES:
Here's the trade-off. You give up your strength for about 24 hours, okay? Say, the next 24 hours. And Meg here is free as a bird and safe from harm. We dance, we kiss, we schmooze, we carry on, we go home happy. What do ya say? Come on.

HERCULES:
People are... are gonna get hurt, aren't they?

HADES:
Nah! I mean, it's, you know, it's a possibility. It happens 'cause, you know, it's war, but what can I tell ya? Anyway, what do you owe these people, huh? Isn't Meg... you little smoochy face you... Isn't she more important than they are?

HERCULES:
Stop it!

HADES:
Isn't she?

HERCULES:
You've gotta swear she'll be safe from any harm.

HADES:
Fine, okay. I'll give you that one. Meg is safe, otherwise you get your strength right back. Yadda, yadda. Fine print. Boilerplate. Baboom. Okay? We're done. What do you say we shake on it? Hey, I really don't have, like, time to bat this around. I'm kind of on a schedule here. I got plans for August. Okay? I need an answer, like, now. Going once, going twice...

HERCULES:
All right!

HADES:
Yes! We're there! Bam! You may feel just a little queasy. It's kind of natural. Maybe you should sit down! Now you know how it feels to be just like everybody else. Isn't it just peachy? Oh! You'll love this. One more thing. Meg, babe, a deal's a deal. You're off the hook. And by the way, Herc, is she not, like, a fabulous little actress?

MEG:
Stop it.

HERCULES:
What do you mean?

HADES:
I mean your little chickie-poo here was working for me all the time. Duh.

HERCULES:
You're... You're lying!

PAIN/PANIC:
Help! Jeepers, mister, you're really strong.

HADES:
Couldn't have done it without you, sugar, sweetheart, babe.

MEG:
No! It's... It's not like that. I didn't mean to... I-I couldn't... I... I'm so sorry.

PAIN/PANIC:
Our hero's a zero! Our hero's a zero!

HADES:
Well, gotta blaze. There's a whole cosmos up there waiting for me... with, hey, my name on it.

Chapter 9:
Okay, I lied. It's not soundproof.

I’m also trying to get a BOG breakfast or lunch on 8/25, just because. But no big deal if we can’t since we’ve done both already.

We will book FPs on 6/20, which is actually the same day we will be booking ADRs for December. Fun for me – up at midnight to do August FPs and then back up at 6:00 am for December ADRs. Oh and I’ll be traveling from PA to MA to my parents’ house because we’re all going to Monster Jam in Boston that day. This will be fun.

Other than that, this August trip is as planned as it’s getting!

Just yesterday I said that the August trip was as planned as it was getting.

I lied.

DS7 and I had some time alone last night while DH took DD5 to dance class. We drove past a Disney-focused travel agency on the way home from our McDonald’s date and he noticed the “Olaf on a stick” that they gave out for Frozen Summer Fun last year.

IMG_8393_zpszqgif2as.jpg

That prompted him to ask me if they were doing Frozen Summer Fun again this year and I said yes. Then he asked if we were doing the Frozen Dessert Party, and I said no. He got upset. Not tantrum-upset, but truly sad, heart-broken upset. He really, really, really loves Olaf and though I know he wouldn’t admit it, I think he really likes the rest of Frozen too. He and I did the premium package last summer, on our Mommy/Buddy trip, and apparently it was really special to him.

I had looked for availability on our HS day previously and didn’t see anything, but this morning I realized that I had been searching dinner times (thinking that’s when the dessert party was.) But when I went to the Frozen Premium Package page directly, I realized that the ADR time it assigns is actually 9:30 am, because of the reserved seating for the processional. Amazingly, there was availability for a party of 4.

Then I remembered that our HS day is actually BFF’s DD7’s 8th birthday. I checked, and sure enough there was still availability for a party of 7!

I double-checked with BFF to make sure their family would be down with the plan, as my birthday gift to her DD and they’re on board! I’ll probably find a cute way to wrap something up and have her open it that morning to learn that we’ll be getting the royal treatment all day.

We are now booked and ready to go!

Now no more planning (save for a BOG breakfast on our last day, if the test gets extended into August.) Probably…

Chapter 9’s quote is from…

mittens_zpsjlc6njsv.jpg

Bolt!

MITTENS:
Hey. Hey, Bolt. Wake up. Come on. I've got a surprise for you. Okay, okay. No peeking. All right, now, open them. Bask in the glow, baby.

BOLT:
I...

MITTENS:
Just let me give you the grand tour. Okay? This one, this one's mine, and this one is all yours.

BOLT:
Mittens, I...

MITTENS:
I found this really soft pillow thing for you. And get this. I found some Styrofoam, and I stuffed it inside, which I thought was both kind of creative and ironic. You know what I mean?

BOLT:
Mittens, I don't think that...

MITTENS:
Ooh! Ooh! Check it out. Total privacy, and completely soundproof.

BOLT:
Yeah, well, I don't think that I...

MITTENS:
Okay, I lied. It's not soundproof. But you know...

BOLT:
Mittens, I can't stay here.

MITTENS:
What?

BOLT:
We're one waffle away from Penny.

MITTENS:
You're still going back to her?

BOLT:
Mittens, she's my person.

Chapter 10:
You wine them, dine them and spray them with weed killer?

Since we already covered the details of our August trip, we might as well review our Wine & Dine plans!

As I mentioned earlier, my BFF convinced me to run the Glass Slipper Challenge with her earlier this year. I did not run prior to this and these were the first two races I’ve ever done. I wasn’t fast, but I achieved goal #1 -- to not die. And it was actually a lot of fun! While I still wouldn’t consider myself a runner, and I’m not likely to run any non-Disney races, I decided it was definitely something I would do again.

I read a ton about the Wine & Dine half-marathon, and it seemed like people just love this race. And we’ve never been to the Food & Wine festival either. So I convinced DH to come down and run with me (even though he doesn’t run either.)

With the benefit of early AP registration, I was able to sign us up for both the Mickey’s Jingle Jungle 5K and the Wine & Dine ½.

So we added a November trip to the already bulging 2015 Disney agenda.

In a flash of brilliance, instead of outright cancelling it, I repurposed the Christmas bounceback that we no longer needed into the W&D weekend. Two of the four nights are blacked out of the deal, but we were able to save on the other 2. Money is money, right? We’re at Pop, in a preferred pool view room, for now. I need to call the bounceback line to see if there’s anything else available. (Little concerned about the noise at Pop, especially by the pool, when we’re going to need to get good sleep before the races.)

We are planning on heading down, just DH and I, for Thursday, 11/5, through Monday, 11/9.

I still need to book a flight. The Southwest rates for these dates weren’t that great when they came out last week; we can actually find cheaper flights on US Airways right now. But I think we’ll be able to do even better. I figure since it’s just the two of us, we have the luxury of waiting to see what Frontier eventually has to offer.

Here’s our tentative plan, subject to change based on flights:

Thursday, 11/5: Arrival Day / Race Expo (time permitting) / EPCOT

• No ADRs today; will just eat at Food & Wine
  • FPs for the evening at EPCOT
  • Race Expo (assuming what ever flight we end up with will get in in time)
Friday, 11/6: Animal Kingdom
  • Rope drop AK
  • Race Expo in the afternoon (assuming we couldn’t go the day before)
  • Hop to MK (use FP here, most likely)
  • Dinner at 6:50 at California Grill (hopefully with a sweet view of Wishes at 8:00 pm)
  • Early to bed
Saturday, 11/7: 5K / AK / Half
  • Up bright and early for the 5K
  • Stay in AK afterward
  • Use FPs here
  • Lunch at 11:30 am at Sanaa (bread service = carb loading!)
  • Back to the hotel for an extended nap
  • Quick dinner at food court
  • Run the ½
  • Afterparty in EPCOT (maybe we can make it all the way to 4:00 am?!?!)
Sunday, 11/8: Rest / MK
  • Sleep in
  • Head to MK
  • Use FPs here
  • Dinner at 5:05 at ‘Ohana
  • MVMCP!
Monday, 11/9: TBD / Departure Day
  • Plans depend on flight times
  • Breakfast at 9:00 am at Boma (if schedule allows)
  • Head home
I’d really like to be able to stay at AKL. I got to figure out a way to make that work financially!

I'm following along. We're planning a trip for December 2016. Although we are planning to go early in December, I'm anxious to see your plans, hoping they will help in our planning.

I'm following along. We're planning a trip for December 2016. Although we are planning to go early in December, I'm anxious to see your plans, hoping they will help in our planning.

Yay! Glad to have you along for the ride!

Disney World is awesome all by itself, but then you mix in the magic of Christmas, and holy cow! :)

Chapter 10’s title is from…

gnomeo_zps038lhdfm.jpg

Gnomeo + Juliet

(for the purposes of this game, Touchstone Pictures totally count!)

GNOMEO:
Oh come on, Juliet. It's not as bad as all that.

JULIET:
Is that your big move on a second date? You wine them, dine them and spray them with weed killer?

GNOMEO:
You got to admit, it is original.

Chapter 11:
Rio de, uh... January, Brassa.

And to complete, our 4 in-progress trips, DH and I will be returning to WDW 9 days after we get home from our Christmas trip for Marathon weekend. It almost seems like we should just stay down there!! I wish I could figure out a way to make that work.

We're not totally crazy. We're only doing the 5K, 10K, and half-marathon. We'll leave the 26.2 for people crazier than us.

Other than the fact that we're signed up for the races, nothing else about this trip is planned. Haven't booked a flight, or a resort, or thought about ADRs / park plans. Have tentative dates (1/5 - 1/10) but even that could totally change. So yeah, we have a lot of work to do.

So that's where we are...

An August trip that is pretty much as planned as it's getting

A November Food & Wine trip that needs a flight booked

A Christmas trip that is waiting on crowd calendars and a flight for DSis and her family to establish ADR plans

and a January trip that needs the works.

Chapter 11's quote is from...

saludos4_zpsbpfnhq2i.jpg

Saludos Amigos!

DONALD DUCK:
What happened? Where am I? What's going on around here?

(playing with ink)
Boy, this is fun.

What's this? A parrot?

JOSE CARIOCA:
(speaking in Portuguese, offers Donald his card)

DONALD DUCK:
(reading José's card)
Chosé Carioco. Rio de, uh... January, Brassa.

JOSE CARIOCA:
No, señor. José Carioca. Rio de Janeiro, Brasil.

Chapter 12:
But, um, where will we live?

A quick real-life update...

So as if raising 2 kids, working full-time, planning 4 Disney trips, and training for 2 half-marathons wasn’t enough… we are also hoping to buy a house and move this summer.

We have been renting a house for the past 5 years, since we moved to the Philly area. We’re sick of being renters and ready to actually settle into our own house here.

But holy cow, I forgot how exhausting and overwhelming this whole process is!

We are fortunate that we don’t also need to sell a house this time. But we still need to get a mortgage, find a house, pack, move, and get settled on top of everything else we’ve got going on. And make it happen before school starts in the fall, so the kids don’t have to transfer mid-year.

We are just starting the process. We got pre-approvals from two banks earlier this week, and have a few more applications in. Now we need to find a realtor and actually determine where in the area we want to live / can afford to live.

I am totally stressed out about the whole process. I just want a magic fairy to come do all the hard work: make the decision on what town to buy in, find a perfect house, go though the whole offer / closing thing, pack up all our stuff, and move it all in. Any volunteers? LOL.

Chapter 13:
Yes, he attempts to relive the past.

So as I've mentioned, we've done basically this same Christmas trip for the past two years. Each trip, we arrive on the Thursday before the last MVMCP and stay for 10 nights, encompassing the actual holiday. Ideally, we will pattern this trip after these past two adventures. But we might have to alter the plan a bit, since DSis and her family are joining us on day 3. We don't want to do anything that's high on their list before they get there, obviously.

So while we kill time waiting for better info on park hours, EMH, and crowd calendars, we'll do mini-trip reports on our 2013 and 2014 Christmas trips (to the best of my memory!)

We always seem to start in EPCOT. This year, with the EMH changes of late, EPCOT is not the recommended park on 12/17 when we arrive. We will probably just suck it up and deal with the crowds though, because it seems to make sense for this year too. And it's tradition!

Day #1: December 19, 2013

Our flight left ILG in Wilmington, DE at 8:50 am. We loved the small size of the airport and the free parking. This was our first flight on Frontier ever, and everything went smoothly. We landed at MCO right on time, around 11:10 am.

We checked in to CSR and quickly realized how far the Cabanas were from the main building. We were in 8B, which was really convenient to the bus stop, but nothing else. That's why you pay a bit more preferred, I guess!

We dumped our stuff in our room and headed for EPCOT.

I really don't remember our touring plan at all, but I know that we had FP+ for Soarin', Test Track, and Maelstrom, since we booked them before the introduction of tiers.

IMG_2546_zps37nbrb45.jpg

We had a late lunch, at 2:30, at Coral Reef, thinking that gave us a bit of extra time in case of any travel delays.

IMG_2559_zpspw2zxamn.jpg

We capped off the night with dinner at Akershus at 8:10 pm. Akershus on the first night is a bit of tradition as, well, though for no particular reason.

IMG_2576_zpsxkfuaeep.jpg

Note: We did not get Belle in her Christmas dress on 12/19.

We did get the standard set of princesses:

IMG_2584_zpscejkmct4.jpg

IMG_2595_zpsqbtsxldr.jpg

IMG_2610_zpsgphnisii.jpg

IMG_2613_zpsbpbr7z2v.jpg

The back to the hotel to rest up for a long next day...

Day #1: December 18, 2014

We got another morning flight in 2014. We flew out of PHL on US Airways at 6:50 am and arrived at MCO on time at 9:23 am.

This year we were smart and booked a preferred room. We were in Martinique 24, super close to Old Port Royale and the bus stop. But we soon grew to despise the bus system at CBR. I know people love that resort, but it's a never again for us.

IMG_1011_zpsec5yldpa.jpg

Once again, we headed straight for EPCOT.

We were changing touring plans right up to the last minute, and I didn't bring my camera into the park. DH and I honestly can't remember where we ended up for lunch, but we're pretty sure it was at San Angel Inn.

Also don't remember what we used FP on. (I'm a bad trip reporter! LOL.)

EPCOT_WRLDSHOW_7128174151_zpssa5k0wel.jpeg

EPCOT_WSMEX_7128345737_zpsxjea1jsg.jpeg

EPCOT_WSCHI_7128394786_zpsiwzxpfbq.jpeg

I do know we ate dinner at Biergarten, which was delicious as always. DD passed out on the table and the castmember generously didn't charge us for her. We were on DxDDP and had way too many credits anyway, but it was very kind of her to do that!

IMG_1056_zps6b9m5j2i.jpg

The kids both passed out in the stroller at the bus stop, another tradition.

IMG_1062_zpshywvhvjb.jpg

After we got back to the room, we tucked them in and started to set up for Christmas. We got the tree up on night one.

IMG_1065_zps73afa1qk.jpg

So that's our day #1 in 2013 and 2014!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter