Three's a crowd... or not?

I think for 7DMT she will be fine because I am in her sight, but for TSMM she might be more uncomfortable not being able to see me during the ride.

For TSM, since the ride cars are back to back and you will have 3 rows, you should be able to set it up so your DD is basically in the same line as either you or your sister once while actually playing the games. All of the odd number rows will face one way and the even numbers will face the other. Make sure your DD is not in the middle row they assign your group. So, if you are assigned rows 5-7, make sure she is in row 5 or 7, not 6.

Buzz in MK is a 2 person ride like TSMM, and Barnstormer has rows of 2. I remember we had an odd number, but the people in our party rode with empty seats beside them.

For the most part, I am okay with sharing a ride car with strangers. The only attraction at WDW that I probably would not be as okay with this would be BTMRR since I always tend to slide around. I would not be comfortable sliding into someone I do not know.

In fact, sometimes I wish they would load a stranger or two on some attractions. They gave me the middle row on Pirates once as a solo, but had a family of 5 squished into the row in front of me. As they were trying to get in, I suggested they could split up and use my row, which they appreciated.

That's the thing, I'm a pretty tall guy, anyone sitting next to me is going to have a lot of room under that lap bar. Then there's the possibility of sliding across the seat and slamming into someone.

Been there and done that. Hopefully, it wasn't you I slammed into:) I wonder if they notice when people are going to have a big disparity and try to give them their own bench.

As someone mentioned, Barnstormer is a ride you can only sit 2. As your son is 5, it's probably be a ride he'll want to do. Buzz and TSMM are rides that can fit 3 but if you want your own gun you'll want to be split up. At your son's age though, might be better for someone to sit with him to help him aim and shoot.

That's bizarre, I've never seen that at BTMRR, ridden many times as the odd man out. I would have protested if they tried to put someone next to me.

I have never experience this or seen it either, and I travel at all different times of the year - busy and "slow" (which really doesn't exist anymore). I rode alone this week as odd man out and we all have at some point.

On our last trips we were only separated on SDMT. On TSMM and Buzz my wife and I would alternate our 3yo on our lap and "help" him shoot. Everything else we rode he sat between us. He wasn't tall enough for the 40' rides so not sure about them.

I go solo and I'm trying to think of the rides I was paired with a stranger - 7DMT, POTC (put another single in my row), EE (rode Single Rider), Test Track, Splash (put another single in the same row), TSMM, ToT (since I was solo, I was obviously near strangers) - all of these were the week of April 21, 2015.

I don't ride Barnstormer or RnRC so I don't know if I would have had a seat mate on those.

On the few occasions that I've ridden with a stranger from the SR line, there really hasn't been time for conversation or even a hello. In fact I don't think I ever spoke to any of them at all! Not trying to be anti social, but they don't get paired up until you are about to get on the ride, and then you're just so busy loading and getting buckled that you really don't even notice someone else is there. Most of the rides where this could happen have the seats so isolated with their own restraints that you wouldn't be able to talk much even if it was someone you are with (thinking specifically of RRC, but it seems like it was similar on others)

In general, I just haven't found being a group of 3 to be a big deal. On the few rides where you will be split up, you will still be very close together on most of them. And the rides always go by so fast anyway, you really just don't have time to think about it at all.

I go solo and I'm trying to think of the rides I was paired with a stranger ... TSMM, ...

That's interesting, as I mentioned earlier, in 15-20 solo rides on TSMM, I've never been paired with a stranger. I'm not opposed to it, just never have had it happen.

I've often been in an odd numbered group. Riding by strangers makes me feel so awkward, especially the times I've gone where my weight has been quite high. I usually try to just address the elephant in the room with a smile, a quick "hi, guess we're ride buddies" or "Hey there, we're going to be very close for the next few minutes" hardeharhar. :D

Usually my fellows are super protective and one of them will ride alone rather than make me do it, but it happens usually about 2 times or so a trip. I survive!

For TSM, since the ride cars are back to back and you will have 3 rows, you should be able to set it up so your DD is basically in the same line as either you or your sister once while actually playing the games. All of the odd number rows will face one way and the even numbers will face the other. Make sure your DD is not in the middle row they assign your group. So, if you are assigned rows 5-7, make sure she is in row 5 or 7, not 6.

I wanted to mention that we have tried to do this the past 2 years with out party of 3. My DS likes to ride TSM with dad and I have asked for the past 2 years to be placed so that we would be on the same side so that I could see how they were doing and even talk a bit to each other. The CMs refuse to do it for us. Last year we were even told that it wasn't possible. 3 years ago, it was done for us and it was a much more enjoyable ride. I have not enjoyed TSM for the past 2 years. I have a FP+ for it this year but may not ride. I may just let DH and DS ride together and wait for them. But, I didn't have to sit with a stranger. I was placed in a car alone with my DH and DS behind me.

I wanted to mention that we have tried to do this the past 2 years with out party of 3. My DS likes to ride TSM with dad and I have asked for the past 2 years to be placed so that we would be on the same side so that I could see how they were doing and even talk a bit to each other. The CMs refuse to do it for us. Last year we were even told that it wasn't possible.

That's too bad. Forget the CMs, pay attention to the other parties lining up in other rows around you, and ask someone who looks friendly to switch and explain why. I have done this many times at coasters at other amusement parks, most people will gladly switch as long as they're still getting on the same train.

I wanted to mention that we have tried to do this the past 2 years with out party of 3. ... I was placed in a car alone with my DH and DS behind me.

The person I quoted only worried about her 8 year old DD being solo on the attraction and not being able to see their party. So, my directions would only work to make sure that some, not all would be able to be in the same row.

As the pp indicated, in your case, you would probably have to make arrangements with a group in front or behind you. I would suggest finding a group of 4 that wanted to also be in the same row and then suggest that when you get to the front, you tell the CM that you are a party of 7. Then the groups can arrange as necessary to get the line up they want. It would also work with a party of 2 around you, just put them in the row between your DH/DS and yourself.

I would caution not to do this with an odd number of people unless you are okay with riding with their extra person.

The person I quoted only worried about her 8 year old DD being solo on the attraction and not being able to see their party. So, my directions would only work to make sure that some, not all would be able to be in the same row.

As the pp indicated, in your case, you would probably have to make arrangements with a group in front or behind you. I would suggest finding a group of 4 that wanted to also be in the same row and then suggest that when you get to the front, you tell the CM that you are a party of 7. Then the groups can arrange as necessary to get the line up they want. It would also work with a party of 2 around you, just put them in the row between your DH/DS and yourself.

I would caution not to do this with an odd number of people unless you are okay with riding with their extra person.

I did see that the OP had a party of 5 and glad you thought of that tip for them!! Was just wanting to mention that with just a party of 3 it might not work even though it could if the CMs would just do it. Thanks for the tip about grouping up with a party of 2 or 4 to work out the cars the way we wish!! I hadn't thought about that!

Its me, my DH and my DD - we get split up on rides and sit with strangers, and it's fine. You're in Disney and you all have a common interest :)

I've often been in an odd numbered group. Riding by strangers makes me feel so awkward, especially the times I've gone where my weight has been quite high. I usually try to just address the elephant in the room with a smile, a quick "hi, guess we're ride buddies" or "Hey there, we're going to be very close for the next few minutes" hardeharhar. :D

Ha, I totally did that on EE and ToT. With EE I was like "Sorry, I am probably going to scream really loud" and she said "THAT'S WHAT WE'RE SUPPOSED TO DO!" and then she told me after my first scream that I could do better than that. With ToT I am not sure why they made me sit right next to a dad and his kid, because the car wasn't full, but Dad told son "Try not to grab the lady" and I said "that's okay, we'll hang on together".

It can be tough juggling odd-numbered groups. We tend to each take one of the younger ones when we go on "scarier" rides but that sometimes means the teenager feels left out.

Yes, you will be seated with strangers on every attraction. They might be sitting beside you (every show), or the rows in front of you, or the rows behind you, but you will be seated with strangers. CM's count how many guests enter each show, with the expectation that every seat will be filled.

You'll also be expected to stand in every queue with strangers. Often they will bump into you, especially in preshow areas (Philarmagic).

Beyond that, if you take a bus, boat, or monorail; you will likely be seated touching strangers. Truly, far more than BTMRR, fellow bus/monorail travelers will often be seated close enough for body contact. Buses are filled to capacity- including all standing space. This includes all boat rides, llike Jungle Cruise. If you are standing on the bus, and the bus stops or turns, the person beside you will also lean into you. You will also be expected to sit/stand very close to strangers at every parade the fireworks. Last summer, a girl was so close to us, that her ice cream bar dripped all over us!

Also, if you arrive via MCO airport, the airport has a shuttle. It is very similar to the monorail, but usually less crowded. Still, when the monorail starts/stops, the person beside you may well lose their balance a little and bump into you. It's extra fun if they aren't wearing deodorant!

another time, I was seated on the bus so close to a fellow passenger that her sweat? (body fluid?) made my shorts damp, and her rough leg hair (stubble) prickled my legs. When she got up, a puddle remained. (at least I think it was sweat)

Then, if it has been raining, many passengers leave puddles on thier seats!

Last edited:
There are no strangers at Disney. We are all part of the big happy Disney family. Some of the best times we have is visiting with people while waiting in line then sometimes riding with them.

We "adopted" a young teenager named Nick on Splash Mountain. We had the entire boat, then CMs stuck a solo rider with us, he looked like Russell from 'Up'. We figured since he was going to be in our Memory Maker photo, we might as well know his name. It was Nick's first ride on Splash Mountain, the rest of his family had wimped out. We told him to hold on during the loop, make sure to hold his breath for when we go underwater, don't lean over too far or we might tip over and the ride will get shut down again. We had fun, and he politely shook all of our hands when the ride was over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter