Three fold questions - opinions needed

Fishbone†

<font color=blue>Does strange things while sleepin
So in our family we draw names for Christmas and spend a little more on one person (around $50) rather than little trinkets for everyone. I drew my soon to be SIL's name, and found out that she likes to scrapbook. :cool1: I don't scrapbook (yet), but I love to make cards, and the concepts interchange, so I'm all over getting her scrapbooking supplies. So here are the questions:

1) I have a regular cricut that I've had for a little over a year (used lightly since I have a toddler :upsidedow), but have just purchased the Cricut Create because I needed the ability to cut smaller for cards. Now I have the Create on it's way to me, and I have my other Cricut. I was thinking of giving her my used Cricut and a new cartridge for Christmas. Does that seem tacky? It's worth well over what I would spend (with the cartridge especially), and it's a great tool in my opinion for both cards and scrapbooking. Does giving her my used machine seem cheap, or does the value and fun/use of it outweigh the fact that it's used?

2) Apparently she must be newly into the hobby, because according to my brother she doesn't have much for supplies... "just some stickers and paper" is what he told me. With this in mind, if you felt giving her the Cricut seemed okay, does it seem like it might be too much at this point since she doesn't have that much yet, and might be just as happy with a nice cutter and some papers and stickers and idea books or something? Or would the cricut be a fun tool for a newby?

3) And now if you think other supplies would be a better option, as scrapbookers, what are your favorite or must have tools. Again, I make cards, and have never scrapbooked, so I would love some ideas on things you just couldn't or wouldn't live without.

Thank you!!!

I would say no to giving her the Cricut just yet. Perhaps you could make a coupon to give her lessons on how to use the machine and at the end of the lessons, gift the machine to her if she quickly picks up on how to use the machine and likes it. I think it would be inappropriate to give such an expensive gift and it might not be well received.

Perhaps a complete album kit you can purchase at Michaels(even cheaper if you get a sale or find a coupon online) would be best to add to her supplies and get her comfortable with completing albums.

Perhaps a gift card, pens, or even paper storage or a crop kit would be welcome for someone new to the hobby.

I think I'd go with a gift card and the offer of some lessons from you. If she 'takes' to the Cricut, you can give it to her 'offline' when it won't appear to be 'raising the bar' on the amount spent on Christmas gifts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter