Thread for People staying off site

escapeartist

Mouseketeer
I was hoping to start a discussion geared toward people visiting Disney World as their primary focus, but not staying on Disney Property.
We can talk about any thing Disney that one has to make decisions about when staying off site but doing something Disney most days.
Example, Magic Bands. To buy or not to buy. Managing Fp, MM and group split ups with or without bands. I have plenty of other things to talk about that off site guests would be concerned with more than onsite. I'm new to Dis Boards so forgive me if this already exists!

We have been 4 times in the past few years and always stayed off site. Our reasons are: the kids are little so don't know any different, we prefer a condo-style place to stay with 2 separate bedrooms and a full kitchen, this is very reasonably priced when not located at disney. We have never purchased Magic bands and haven't felt that we have ever needed them.

stayed onsite once for a full disney experience and it was great. staying offsite this time because when we went for one day a couple years ago, we stayed offsite then too and it wasn't that big of a deal. plus it's alot cheaper for us! i purposely bought magic bands for our trip this time because 1) i wanted the experience of them 2) i didn't want to have to whip out my ticket for FP+ and 3) i wanted to decorate them.

There is a board already on these forums for offsite hotels and attractions. Go to the forum main menu page and you will find it there.

This board is for theme park strategies and attractions.
I wondered about that too, but OP said he wanted to talk about Magic Bands, FP, etc.

We are frequent Disney World visitors (over 60 trips) and I like this idea of a thread with this title. We have stayed onsite and offsite so have lots of experience either way. One thing - do NOT ever think about staying offsite and relying solely on offsite transportation. Offsite shuttles will run at specific times, not constantly like onsite transportation. We will look at offsite transportation (we drive so always have our own vehicle) and usually find at the most, two or three times for drop off in the morning and then two or three times for pick up at night. Nothing for midday. And, usually, the pick up and drop off will be at the TTC and/or Epcot so you will have to make your way to and from the other parks as you see fit.

So, if you are staying offsite and don't have your own transportation, ask the offsite place to email you their Disney transportation schedule, rent a car, or make use of taxis. Also, whatever price you are paying for your offsite place, add in the cost of parking at Disney World if you are renting a car or using a taxi. Some taxi companies will ask for the parking price in order to get you in.

So, if you are staying offsite and don't have your own transportation, ask the offsite place to email you their Disney transportation schedule, rent a car, or make use of taxis. Also, whatever price you are paying for your offsite place, add in the cost of parking at Disney World if you are renting a car or using a taxi. Some taxi companies will ask for the parking price in order to get you in.

Is this because they have to pay in order to get into the lot? I'm wondering if it wouldn't be wiser to have the taxi drop you off at a nearby resort. At least in the case of Epcot and MK, that would be more cost effective, and would only require a bit more walking, or an extra monorail or boat ride.

I'm glad this is a separate thread! We're staying off-site and are definitely renting a car to get around. We weren't planning on doing Magic Bands, but I read that if we do Memory Maker, ride pics are only included if you have the bands. Is this true? Also, do we ALL need MBs? We'll be a party of 6 (3 generations) and thinking of splitting the cost of MM. If so, how does this work with maybe only having one MB?

We stay offsite with friends in Kissimmee every trip. We rent a car. We bought magic bands for our last trip (last December) and enjoyed decorating them, but they aren't necessary since your park tickets will still work for FP+, getting in through the gates, etc.

Is this because they have to pay in order to get into the lot? I'm wondering if it wouldn't be wiser to have the taxi drop you off at a nearby resort. At least in the case of Epcot and MK, that would be more cost effective, and would only require a bit more walking, or an extra monorail or boat ride.
I don't think that outside transportation actually go into the parking lots, they approach from a different access point to the entrance and then back out. If I'm wrong someone correct me, but, it wouldn't make sense to have to pay parking for a cab in transit.

I also like the idea of this thread! We are planning our first offsite trip after several onsite visits, and I am already going bonkers scanning every thread trying to find the relevant information mixed in with the onsite info. It would be great to get it all in one place!

We are staying off property for the first time in my adult life (did it once when I was a kid, but we only went to MK for one day). Our resort is right next door to AK, so I'm thinking our transport times will be similar to when we stayed at AKL. We usually stay DVC points, but also have a RCI contract that allowed us a two bedroom condo, so in the effort of a "cheap" trip, we went this route. We have AP, so already have our MB, will get free parking, and am starting to seriously think about buying MM. We probably will, and we usually buy it every trip as I like the pictures we get. It was frustrating booking FP+ one day at a time, but I think we will enjoy ourselves. This is also a little different this time as my finance will be working some, so will be staying in the room while we go to the parks. We have debated between renting two cars for more mobility vs one SUV or minivan for less hassle for parking and driving stress.

We are staying off property for the first time in my adult life (did it once when I was a kid, but we only went to MK for one day). Our resort is right next door to AK, so I'm thinking our transport times will be similar to when we stayed at AKL. We usually stay DVC points, but also have a RCI contract that allowed us a two bedroom condo, so in the effort of a "cheap" trip, we went this route. We have AP, so already have our MB, will get free parking, and am starting to seriously think about buying MM. We probably will, and we usually buy it every trip as I like the pictures we get. It was frustrating booking FP+ one day at a time, but I think we will enjoy ourselves. This is also a little different this time as my finance will be working some, so will be staying in the room while we go to the parks. We have debated between renting two cars for more mobility vs one SUV or minivan for less hassle for parking and driving stress.
We have stayed near AK too at Orange Lake and we've had great stays. I was pretty stressed about driving and parking when we transitioned from on to offsite, but it's a piece of cake, really, and for me, preferable to being stuck with Disney transport (which is really good for what it is, but kind of annoying for a control freak like me). Happy to answer any questions! We prefer offsite for extra room ... at a fraction of the cost.

I was hoping to start a discussion geared toward people visiting Disney World as their primary focus, but not staying on Disney Property.
We can talk about any thing Disney that one has to make decisions about when staying off site but doing something Disney most days.
Example, Magic Bands. To buy or not to buy. Managing Fp, MM and group split ups with or without bands. I have plenty of other things to talk about that off site guests would be concerned with more than onsite. I'm new to Dis Boards so forgive me if this already exists!

How much are they going for? Take this amount x4 and add to it 2 days worth of parking. How much do you get? All Stars fall Rate is 79.00 plus tax. I remember the boards saying that once they are active they will work for 1-2 years they also are linked to MDE not your resort room. They don't know where you are staying and you can link any ticket to them.

We've visited WDW 3 times as a family in the last 5 years and have stayed offsite all of those. We enjoy the space of a 3 BR, 2 BA, full kitchen condo (book through VRBO). Car rentals are cheap in Orlando, we have never paid more than $200/week for a minivan/small SUV. It seems car rental companies run specials weekly on sites like Orbitz, etc. Our most recent trip earlier this month was our first with FP+. I was a little worried being that we only had the 30 day window to book them but honestly it didn't really feel that different than our previous trips. Still saw about the same amount of attractions each day as we did previously. We found getting to the park early or doing a pre-park opening ADR really helps to offset the offsite disadvantage of EMH/FP+. Of course there are some great advantages that staying onsite would allow but for us and our kids ages, it best for us to stay offsite and save some $$$.

We usually stay offsite too. WDW is not our primary focus but it is one of many. We still have to plan our days of course.

We enjoy more space and amenities and also enjoy having a car. I found that we had little trouble setting up our initial 3 FP+ per day but we didn't need the character meet and greets. We've never bothered with the magic bands but I did consider getting a lanyard to keep the passes in.

We have stayed near AK too at Orange Lake and we've had great stays. I was pretty stressed about driving and parking when we transitioned from on to offsite, but it's a piece of cake, really, and for me, preferable to being stuck with Disney transport (which is really good for what it is, but kind of annoying for a control freak like me). Happy to answer any questions! We prefer offsite for extra room ... at a fraction of the cost.

We are staying at Silver Lake (first for us, but has decent reviews). We usually get a rental car when we are down there, so he is used to driving it. I don't do too bad, but he has a much better idea of where he is and where he is going. I liked the ability to be in control of where we go and what time we leave (instead of always feeling like we are waiting for a bus). Right now we have two full size cars rented through Alamo for $160 each or a Full size SUV for $380. Hoping they both come down as we leave next week. I'm really hoping for minivans to be in the full size isle so we can save on some money (which will be then spent at Disney of course!).

Some taxi companies will try for the "drop off" area for their passengers and some will ask for the parking fee. Depends on if the taxi will be sitting waiting for a fare out of the parking lot or, well, if the driver wants the money.

Yes, you can ask to be taken to a nearby resort and then take that transportation to whatever park but that adds to your arrival time. If you are going to the Magic Kingdom, you can be taken to the Contemporary in a taxi and then walk from there. If going to the Studios or Epcot, you can be taken to any of the Epcot resorts and then walk take boat from there. If going to Animal Kingdom, you can be taken to the Animal Kingdom Lodge and bus from there. That saves you the parking fee but adds to your arrival time.

On the flip side, there are taxis waiting outside the park exits at the end of the day. I can tell you that from the Boardwalk to our offsite place on Highway 192, just a bit east of Olde Towne, the taxi fare was $22 plus tip. We didn't plan it, our car decide to throw something and wouldn't start. Also, for taxis, it's not the mileage that counts, so you can't say "we are ten miles from the entrance so it will cost $x" because it's the time that counts. On our one taxi ride, I commented that since we just missed a light, our fare went up quite a bit. The drive laughed and said that was correct but he could try and make up the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter