• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thread for allergy foods updates

Vegan bread would also not contain dairy.

We have had several occasions where the regular bread was French or Italian and did not contain Milk or Eggs. And also other occasions where the bread was a no go because of an egg wash or a butter topping.

We have scheduled a meal at Boma since it is supposed to be very vegan friendly and our hope is that would mean maybe some more choices for my son.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was trying to say that what I may have remembered reading was that the breads were not vegan because of milk but are egg free or maybe they're not vegan because of having eggs but not milk. I just can't remember.

Do you know if any of the regular breads currently being served around WDW are vegan? Knowing this is great for people with egg and/or milk allergies.

Related to MedicGoofy's comments about the Big 8 being far off, and if it matters to anyone, I looked a little over a year ago at the allergies of all AllergyEats member (much smaller sample size than if I did it today, but still quite large) and in fact the Big 8 should have been called the Big 7 + #10.

I found peanut, tree nut, dairy, wheat, and eggs to be by far the 5 most prevalent. (Gluten intolerance would've been in that list too if I wasn't speaking strictly of allergies.) Shellfish and soy were next. But after those - no surprise - was corn and sesame, followed by fish. There were also THIRTEEN more food products that 2% or more of the AllergyEats member base was allergic to, and well over 200 different items that at least one person listed.

So why are corn and sesame recognized in the U.S. as they are elsewhere? Beats me. Corn lobby? That's a pretty powerful force in U.S. politics. But sesame?

Anyway, I thought some of you discussing the "Big 8 and beyond," as I'll call it, would find this info interesting.

So why are corn and sesame recognized in the U.S. as they are elsewhere? Beats me. Corn lobby? That's a pretty powerful force in U.S. politics. But sesame?

Anyway, I thought some of you discussing the "Big 8 and beyond," as I'll call it, would find this info interesting.

Thanks Paul, that is interesting... I think sesame isn't recognized in the US because people think it isn't in anything. You forget things like "sesame seed buns" when you first hear it. You are probably 100% right about corn, it's up there with soy as those crops that we subsidize and make people grow just for the heck of it... paying them to have the money to lobby for more benefits. Interesting circle.

Sesame was actually the one allergy on my son's list that I was like "awesome, that doesn't change things!" Then I remembered DH's family is Lebanese.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was trying to say that what I may have remembered reading was that the breads were not vegan because of milk but are egg free or maybe they're not vegan because of having eggs but not milk. I just can't remember.

Do you know if any of the regular breads currently being served around WDW are vegan? Knowing this is great for people with egg and/or milk allergies.

Okay I get it now.

I'm not sure about vegan availability but I'm hoping that there is.

Thanks for the clarification. On our last trip there were some "regular" buns that my sons were able to eat. The allergy ones were not safe for us even then. (my sons have peanut, tree nut, egg, mushrooms and most legumes -including chick peas, green peas and lentils between the two of them) I guess I'll contact special diets when the time comes and hope I can actually wring some info out of them about options.

I think you'll have options. The regular hamburger and hot dog buns contain dairy, but not eggs. I've never been to the Plaza so I'm speculating, but if they use specialty breads those may be off limits as most of the breads that come from the Disney bakery are considered off limits due to nut cross-contamination. I would think that they would likely have the regular buns around and could improvise though. Or worst case, they could run somewhere and get a regular bun.

Does anyone know what oil they use to fry items?
The Plaza and French fries made me wonder if they would be okay:confused3
I'm sure the chef could answer if they had a separate fryer once I'm there.

And for corn: I live in Iowa...it's everywhere. I think this state wouldn't exist without it. There are a lot of soybeans around too!

We have scheduled a meal at Boma since it is supposed to be very vegan friendly and our hope is that would mean maybe some more choices for my son.

The chef at Boma was very helpful and I would agree that there are a lot of vegan options there.

Do be sure to mention sesame to all the chefs because it seems like it's hidden in a number of items you wouldn't expect at WDW like the Mickey shaped cheese ravioli.

Do be sure to mention sesame to all the chefs because it seems like it's hidden in a number of items you wouldn't expect at WDW like the Mickey shaped cheese ravioli.

I just had to laugh at myself. Mental knee-jerk reaction was :eek: "crap! it's in the ravioli?!?" It's funny because the only person in my family with a sesame issue can't have wheat or cheese... so I hope I would stop long before ordering him cheese ravioli. :lmao:

Not that this solves a bunch of issues, but hey it made me happy today!

Dominos pizza is going to start serving a gluten free pizza! (Of course it will cost more. But hey, if Disney doesn't want to cooperate, we can always order Dominos :rotfl2:

I am considering booking a room JUST to have pizza delivery. (I miss pizza delivery at the resorts) LOL

And for corn: I live in Iowa...it's everywhere. I think this state wouldn't exist without it. There are a lot of soybeans around too!

Is soy an issue for you? Because the fries they use now contain it :headache:

Is soy an issue for you? Because the fries they use now contain it :headache:

Do you happen to have a link or ingredient list for the current fries? Or do we just know from somebody seeing the ingredients while there?

Do you happen to have a link or ingredient list for the current fries? Or do we just know from somebody seeing the ingredients while there?

I don't know if this helps, but the fries have had soy for awhile.

But not ALL CS places have the same fries.

Mara at AKL baked sliced potates fries. And one of the Allstars (Movies I think) did soy free fries for us.

At The Plaza, Cousin Ken both times we ate there heated up a pot of oil on the stove to cook fries for us. So, while they don't have a dedicated frier, they can cook fries for those with allergies, assuming you're not allergic to any of the ingredients in the fries or the oil. I don't actually know what kind of oil they use other than it's not peanut or sesame oil.

The normal oil is a blend that contains soy but they all carry canola. If they have a dedicated fryer it's usually canola or they can pan fry in any oil. Or bake with no oil....takes a long time but I love the crispy baked fries.

Not that this solves a bunch of issues, but hey it made me happy today!

Dominos pizza is going to start serving a gluten free pizza! (Of course it will cost more. But hey, if Disney doesn't want to cooperate, we can always order Dominos :rotfl2:

I am considering booking a room JUST to have pizza delivery. (I miss pizza delivery at the resorts) LOL

Unfortunately, I think Domino's just came out (after media exposure) and admitted that those with Celiac Disease who HAVE TO AVOID ALL GLUTEN are NOT safe ordering this pizza.

So who exactly is it for? The fad dieters who want to say they're gluten-free whether they are or aren't? This is infuriating.

Unfortunately, I think Domino's just came out (after media exposure) and admitted that those with Celiac Disease who HAVE TO AVOID ALL GLUTEN are NOT safe ordering this pizza.

So who exactly is it for? The fad dieters who want to say they're gluten-free whether they are or aren't? This is infuriating.

Yup...here is an article saying that "there is a catch...it's actually not gluten free":confused:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...96408.html?ref=food&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000008

Pizza - Happy Joes has an actual gluten free crust available - it comes frozen and they have gluten free ingredients however cross contamination could definitely be an issue and the box includes a notice of this - also at the counter.

What I've done is just order the frozen crust and take it home and bake it with my ingredients to know it is safe. They have IMO one of the better gluten free crusts available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter