Thoughts please - Dolphin or POFQ

Phelia325

Mouseketeer
We are planning a quick last minute spring trip (F&G Festival is calling!! and our new APs are burning a hole in my pocket!). We are trying to decide between the Dolphin or POFQ. I have two small children, so we try to stay at EPCOT or monorail resorts for convenience. We find the buses challenging with two little ones and an enormous double stroller. However, we cant swing BC or BW this trip and monorail service resorts are beyond the budget. I originally thought we would get POFQ a shot but now I'm thinking about the Dolphin for its proximity to EPCOT. We really love that area. Aside from the lack of Disney theme, any other major downsides to the Dolphin? Any thoughts on Dolphin vs. POFQ decision? FWIW, the Dolphin runs about 50 -60more a night for our trip dates. TIA!

You know, we are absolutely torn between the Dolphin & CSR or POR. We have reservations at the Dolphin for Spring Break. This Sunday is our cancellation deadline and I almost cancelled today; in order to book directly w/Disney. I am so worried that we just won't like it. We booked the Dolphin at a great rate--Florida resident discount. For the same dates Disney has Florida resident & AP rates blacked out. So for us, the rate is better at the Dolphin.

The threads that compare the Dolphin & other Mod resorts are usually easy to find but I can't seem to easily find them today. I've read & re-read "The New Swan & Dolphin" thread too many times to count this week!! Hope someone comes along and pushes us in the right direction soon .... I'm really second guessing myself! I think I may be one of those people who just has to stay w/Disney??? :confused3 ugggh

Because of the resort fees, I just can't bring myself to stay at the Swan or Dolphin.

I'd rather stay at POFQ. But then I love the Port Orleans resorts.

Because of the location, lack of dining, outdoor hallways, strictly bus transportation, I can't bring myself to stay at POFQ.

if you are going for the F&G, the location of the the Dolphin can't be beat, unless you were at BC. Make sure to join the Starwood frequent guest program, spg.com, you can earn points and might get an upgrade just for having it.

If you will have a car there is a mandatory parking fee and also the resort fee. The rate will still be less than what you would pay at a WDW Boardwalk area resort.

The restaurants are good, there is a Disney resort shop, and WDW channels on the TV.

If your primary focus is the F&G Festival, then there's no question I'd go with the Dolphin. Location is everything...10-15 minute walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Can't beat that for convenience! Plus you're getting a larger, deluxe room with the best beds on property, a great complex of pools and a terrific selection of places to eat.

I'd definitely go with the Dolphin.

Another point for the Dolphin, since you have small kids, is the more compact layout. Even compared to POFQ, Dolphin is all one building.
I also don't get the "not magical enough" complaint. You look out the window and see the Boardwalk area. You can walk to two parks. To me, being able to stroll to a park (and being surrounded by Disney on that stroll) is more magical an experience than anything involving a bus or car trip could ever be.
If you're going for F&G, in my opinion the Dolphin's location is definitely worth paying a premium over POFQ.

We are planning a quick last minute spring trip (F&G Festival is calling!! and our new APs are burning a hole in my pocket!). We are trying to decide between the Dolphin or POFQ. I have two small children, so we try to stay at EPCOT or monorail resorts for convenience. We find the buses challenging with two little ones and an enormous double stroller. However, we cant swing BC or BW this trip and monorail service resorts are beyond the budget. I originally thought we would get POFQ a shot but now I'm thinking about the Dolphin for its proximity to EPCOT. We really love that area. Aside from the lack of Disney theme, any other major downsides to the Dolphin? Any thoughts on Dolphin vs. POFQ decision? FWIW, the Dolphin runs about 50 -60more a night for our trip dates. TIA!

So where did you end up staying and what did you think? We are currently booked at the Dolphin in early December, but I'm thinking of switching to POFQ. It's a bit cheaper, they have ceiling fans (I must have air when I sleep) and have queen vs. double beds. I'm such a waffler!

We stayed at the Swan last year and have been to POFQ many times. Loved the location of the Swan and the price compared to the deluxe resorts in the same area. However we are ones who did not feel the "disney" love at the Swan (missed hearing "welcome home" at check in - cheesy but we love it). Lots of conferences and lots of business people. The resort fees were kind of stupid IMO. We got a good rate with a $100 food credit but was nightmare trying to get the credit applied at the end of the trip.

But if your main reason is the F&WF I would stay at the Swan or Dolphin due to location.

Another point for the Dolphin, since you have small kids, is the more compact layout. Even compared to POFQ, Dolphin is all one building.
I also don't get the "not magical enough" complaint. You look out the window and see the Boardwalk area. You can walk to two parks. To me, being able to stroll to a park (and being surrounded by Disney on that stroll) is more magical an experience than anything involving a bus or car trip could ever be.
If you're going for F&G, in my opinion the Dolphin's location is definitely worth paying a premium over POFQ.

I have stayed at both and loved both but I agree with this post. The only bad thing about Dolphin is no Magical express transportation from the airport, and the fees. Location is awesome. I would do it because you are so close to EPCOT and HS. PO is so cute and cheaper. I am staying there next week!

No brainer for us. We'll never stay at either the Swan or Dolphin.... To us it's not Disney ( need no remarks or comments please )...we travel 1100 miles and we want true Disney experiences..

We're deluxe snobs, real preference is WL but have stepped down to a moderate on occasion... And the one we prefer is POFQ!! .....POR is too huge, same for CSR..... POFQ is compact, small and easy to get around....

Can't beat the Dolphin's location if you want proximity to EPCOT. Having said that, it is a convention hotel, so be prepared for lots of them. It also has the longest walk of all the EPCOT hotels to the International Gateway (though you can certainly take the water transport).

For your situation, the Dolphin might be the better choice, but don't dismiss POFQ without a close look. It may not have the location, but it does have other things going for it that the Dolphin does not.

As you might guess, I am a POR/POFQ fan.

We loved staying at the Dolphin when my Dad offered to take my daughter and I with him on his trip. He was there on business the first part of the week and for play the second half. We loved the hotel and had a view of Epcot fireworks from our room as well as the boardwalk and water taxi's coming and going. The pool was wonderful - and only open until 8. :confused3 We love swimming and winding down in the pool when we come back at night and were bummed out by this. If you have small kids, you might want a more kid friendly hotel. We would choose the POFQ over the Dolphin any day!! We missed the "Disney experience" and the pool the most.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter