Thoughts on Westjet to Hawaii?

TagsMissy

It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.
Hey gang,

Anybody fly WJ recently to Hawaii? how did you find the flight was?

We're leaning toward WJ for the pure fact we can get a bunch of free luggage as long as it's within weight restrictions; there's 2 of us going but we're contemplating 3 or 4 bags as we're getting numerous requests for coffee and macadamia nuts :lmao::lmao:; plus we can bring some of our own gear for snorkeling, hiking etc and not worry about space/weight if we tried to get the stuff all into 2 bags.

Anyways I'd love to hear your recent reviews of WJ flights to/from Hawaii.

We're flying Westjet in February and for that long of a flight, the only other airline I'd fly is AC. Both airlines are roomier then the "cattle car" setup the US carriers use.

Just so you know, Westjet charges $20 for your second bag. First one is free. Westjet is moving farther and farther away from their original model (Southwest Airlines) which is very unfortunate since it was the fact that they don't nickel and dime you that set them apart from AC and the US carriers.

We are flying WJ in January. Definitely agree with SmilingGrump from Edmonchuk. Dont fly with a US carrier if you can swing it!:thumbsup2

I flew WJ to Hawaii and back a few weeks ago. We flew on their 737s out of Vancouver (I think they're using leased 757s out of Edmonton and maybe Calgary this winter so I can't comment on them).

Well, it got us there and back. The seats were very uncomforable and it was hard to sleep (especially on the overnight flight back). I've flown a bunch an I'd say that AC gets the nod for seat comfort over WJ. However its still a whole lot better than any US airline.

About an hour west of Vancouver the inflight entertainment system will no longer work since you're out of range of the satellites that WJ uses for their live-TV entertainment. So make sure you bring something to keep yourself entertained. Again, AC gets the nod for in-flight entertainment with their on-demand movies that work the entire flight.

Make sure you weigh your bags. If it's over 50 lbs there's huge over-weight charges.

Unless you have top-end snorkeling gear of your own, I'd recommend renting it once you get there. I'm a certified scuba diver and am used to good gear, and the rental snorkeling gear was just fine and not expensive as long as you don't rent it at the hotel. There's all kinds of shops in the towns that will rent snorkeling gear for a fraction of what it costs at the hotels.

Also, I'll reitterate that there's only 1 free bag per person on WJ.

I've watched the prices fluctuate for about a month now. I couldn't book when both airlines had that 25% sale to hawaii and watched the prices climb daily after that. About a week later I finally got the go ahead from boss and 2 days after I booked with WJ, AC dropped their prices and would of saved us a cool $900 :mad:, that would of been with the additional fees they charge for luggage. Wish I would of waited, but there is absolutely nothing I can do now. I hope that we get good seats and that our overnight trip back to Canada while sleeping will be more comfortable than expected. We flew WJ to orlando from Winnipeg and it wasn't so bad. Keeping my fingers crossed that we will be able to keep the 2 children entertained while flying over seas.

Right now AC has awesome prices for Hawaii from Feb 23 - March 6 - the best I've seen in a long time.

Thats a good point. Thomas Cook is flying out of Alberta for WJ to Hawaii this winter. That may make a difference in comfort and amenities?
I flew WJ to Hawaii and back a few weeks ago. We flew on their 737s out of Vancouver (I think they're using leased 757s out of Edmonton and maybe Calgary this winter so I can't comment on them).

Well, it got us there and back. The seats were very uncomforable and it was hard to sleep (especially on the overnight flight back). I've flown a bunch an I'd say that AC gets the nod for seat comfort over WJ. However its still a whole lot better than any US airline.

About an hour west of Vancouver the inflight entertainment system will no longer work since you're out of range of the satellites that WJ uses for their live-TV entertainment. So make sure you bring something to keep yourself entertained. Again, AC gets the nod for in-flight entertainment with their on-demand movies that work the entire flight.

Make sure you weigh your bags. If it's over 50 lbs there's huge over-weight charges.

Unless you have top-end snorkeling gear of your own, I'd recommend renting it once you get there. I'm a certified scuba diver and am used to good gear, and the rental snorkeling gear was just fine and not expensive as long as you don't rent it at the hotel. There's all kinds of shops in the towns that will rent snorkeling gear for a fraction of what it costs at the hotels.

Also, I'll reitterate that there's only 1 free bag per person on WJ.

We're flying Westjet in February and for that long of a flight, the only other airline I'd fly is AC. Both airlines are roomier then the "cattle car" setup the US carriers use.

Just so you know, Westjet charges $20 for your second bag. First one is free. Westjet is moving farther and farther away from their original model (Southwest Airlines) which is very unfortunate since it was the fact that they don't nickel and dime you that set them apart from AC and the US carriers.

We are a military family we get additional free bags no matter where they fly, duty or personal vacation.

When we booked I mentioned the military baggage perk and she told me we only get 1 free bag for my DH who is in the military - any after that cost $$$.

*** that's interesting I just read the notice and it says 4 .... ummm, I will have to call about it and see what they say.

I hate AC flight times to Hawaii. Aug 2010 we flew Alaska, great flight times.
I manage to get my snorkle gear in my suitcase, and use my carry on roller to pack the mac nuts & coffee :goodvibes The good thing about packing for Hawaii is shorts & tees don't take up much room.
Going this Aug, and watching fares, Alaska now flies from Bellingham so hoping for cheaper flights. I have a fare watch on Kayak.
Will watch Westjet too but doubt they will come close to Alaska out of Bellingham. We'll see.

right now the differential is less than $100 on the tickets YVR vs BLI, when I add on luggage fees and parking it's more expensive out of BLI. I was actually shocked.

When we booked I mentioned the military baggage perk and she told me we only get 1 free bag for my DH who is in the military - any after that cost $$$.

*** that's interesting I just read the notice and it says 4 .... ummm, I will have to call about it and see what they say.

when did you book, the change only came about last month, previously it was for duty only.

I need to stop checking :mad: AC just released a seat sale till March 7th - if you're going to Oahu $309, and Maui is $289 (with lots of availability). that takes me over the $1000 mark savings if I had waited.

when did you book, the change only came about last month, previously it was for duty only.

Last week ... I wish I had now waited and jumped at the seat sale for Air Canada today. I paid just shy of $4000 for 4 of us (2 adults/2 kids). The $1000+ savings would of been nice for additional spending in Hawaii and according to many AC is a better ride. I'm totally bummed.

I need to stop checking :mad: AC just released a seat sale till March 7th - if you're going to Oahu $309, and Maui is $289 (with lots of availability). that takes me over the $1000 mark savings if I had waited.

Yes, stop torturing yourself :laughing: I saw that AC sale too, but it ends just before spring break of course!

right now the differential is less than $100 on the tickets YVR vs BLI, when I add on luggage fees and parking it's more expensive out of BLI. I was actually shocked.

That's interesting. I don't leave till Aug, so hope to find a good seat sale!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter