Thoughts on ticket price increases?

i think people are too sensitive about Disney and price increases its a fact of life prices go up (unless your flat screen tvs then seems to always go down) . its healthy that prices go up think about the workers busting there A** to make sure you have a nice time don't you think they deserve a raise every year? Disney made a commitment to get workers close to 12 dollars an hour with in the next year. everyone just thinks Disney is putting it in their pockets do you have any clue how much money it take to run that place down there? billions per quarter Disney runs around a 15% profit margin in the parks division. its not much when apple makes 55% off my phone or GM made 35% off my SUV i bought from them.....how about you complain about that? Next time you complain that that cake you bought think about the people who made it for you and how their life is do you think they took real nice vacations for the last 20 years?!?!?!?!?! probably not put things into prescriptive and you always have a choice dont go anymore if its too much......

I understand how capitalism works. But I don't think that the price increases are going to the cast member who is working in the bakery (in the cake example). It IS going to help Disney improve profitability. Public companies need to constantly "beat the street" and have to impress analysts. When they can show increased attendance and record profits (despite their ginormous capital expenditures on MDE/MB), the market rewards the company with higher stock prices. Profitability only increases when revenues grow but expenses either stay the same or get lower (or, at a minimum, revenue increases at a rate higher than expenses increase). I am ALL for fair and living wages for the cast members. And I hope they get it. But based on the CEOs salary/bonus, I'm thinking he's benefitting at a much better rate than the average cast member.

I have only been a DVC member since 2011, but I just don't see how the "average" person can afford a Disney vacation. We are not poor but we are not rich. And it costs a lot of money to do a Disney trip. This is the first year we will be attempting to really cut our costs - driving to Disney vs. flying, eating more in our room/packing lunch vs. DDP. Even then, it will be a costly trip for a family of five. While I would love to go annually, we are probably in an every-2-3-years category. Not that Disney cares. Yes, I'm still giving them my money - just like all of the other millions of people that pass through the gates. However, I am doing my part by actively trying to spend less while I'm there. Maybe I'll hit the Publix for our souvenirs. :thumbsup2

I deal with the ticket prices b/c I don't have much of a choice, but we now rent a car so that we can eat off site. Car costs about $150 for the week, and it saves us about $1000 in meals.

I also do some souvenir shopping off site too! Helps that my kids are young and don't really notice a difference!

Ticket price increases = awesome!

It's a privilege to go. We're lucky they let us in for any cost - we SHOULD be paying more.

Is there somewhere a member can vote to increase dues and ticket prices? I worry that CMs aren't paid enough; shareholders aren't getting the same dividends. Floridians are seeing their tax rates go up.

Sometimes, I wander over to the budget and transpo forums. DISGUSTING. I always pay the highest airfare I can find. Someone's got to keep the economy going.

We pre bought vouchers until 2042, but sometimes, we buy extra annual passes at the current rates and throw them away just because we can. (hear this in the voice of Forest)

I understand how capitalism works. But I don't think that the price increases are going to the cast member who is working in the bakery (in the cake example). It IS going to help Disney improve profitability. Public companies need to constantly "beat the street" and have to impress analysts. When they can show increased attendance and record profits (despite their ginormous capital expenditures on MDE/MB), the market rewards the company with higher stock prices. Profitability only increases when revenues grow but expenses either stay the same or get lower (or, at a minimum, revenue increases at a rate higher than expenses increase). I am ALL for fair and living wages for the cast members. And I hope they get it. But based on the CEOs salary/bonus, I'm thinking he's benefitting at a much better rate than the average cast member.

I have only been a DVC member since 2011, but I just don't see how the "average" person can afford a Disney vacation. We are not poor but we are not rich. And it costs a lot of money to do a Disney trip. This is the first year we will be attempting to really cut our costs - driving to Disney vs. flying, eating more in our room/packing lunch vs. DDP. Even then, it will be a costly trip for a family of five. While I would love to go annually, we are probably in an every-2-3-years category. Not that Disney cares. Yes, I'm still giving them my money - just like all of the other millions of people that pass through the gates. However, I am doing my part by actively trying to spend less while I'm there. Maybe I'll hit the Publix for our souvenirs. :thumbsup2

YAY, you!
:worship::worship::worship::worship:

I deal with the ticket prices b/c I don't have much of a choice, but we now rent a car so that we can eat off site. Car costs about $150 for the week, and it saves us about $1000 in meals.

I also do some souvenir shopping off site too! Helps that my kids are young and don't really notice a difference!

I think its good business to give DVC members deep annual pass discounts. An old poster (Richyams) use to refer to AP discounts as golden handcuffs. Disney would be foolish to not to entice long term DVC members to spend every waking moment on-site. Once you invest in a rental car (or drive), it makes it hard to justify spending $30-$40 on meals that cost $10 off site. You can have a great vacation staying in DVC accommodations and going off site to avoid crazy food & souvenir pricing. Every surrounding business is competing for your hard earned money, capitalism allows you to vacation more and spend less.

I think its good business to give DVC members deep annual pass discounts. An old poster (Richyams) use to refer to AP discounts as golden handcuffs. Disney would be foolish to not to entice long term DVC members to spend every waking moment on-site. Once you invest in a rental car (or drive), it makes it hard to justify spending $30-$40 on meals that cost $10 off site. You can have a great vacation staying in DVC accommodations and going off site to avoid crazy food & souvenir pricing. Every surrounding business is competing for your hard earned money, capitalism allows you to vacation more and spend less.

For some time, I think DVC had them convinced that discounts were good business.

Then someone convinced them we would come anyway and spend anything just to be in the club. N.B. - 165 a point for a timeshare.

For some time, I think DVC had them convinced that discounts were good business.

Then someone convinced them we would come anyway and spend anything just to be in the club. N.B. - 165 a point for a timeshare.

Maybe your right thinking most members don’t have a tipping point. I could be wrong, but I would bet the data shows that spending habits change over time. The people that spend anything, probably run into problems and have to cut back at some point. DVC members that pay attention to prices change the way they vacation.

Its hard for me to spend ridiculous prices for things I’ve done ten times and observed quality diminish over time. We still enjoy Disney and I wouldn’t change a thing buying into the BWV / WLV. I love staying on site using all the resort and transportation amenities around our home resorts. Orlando is a great area that offers a lot of attractions.

Ticket price increases = awesome!

It's a privilege to go. We're lucky they let us in for any cost - we SHOULD be paying more.

Is there somewhere a member can vote to increase dues and ticket prices? I worry that CMs aren't paid enough; shareholders aren't getting the same dividends. Floridians are seeing their tax rates go up.

Sometimes, I wander over to the budget and transpo forums. DISGUSTING. I always pay the highest airfare I can find. Someone's got to keep the economy going.

We pre bought vouchers until 2042, but sometimes, we buy extra annual passes at the current rates and throw them away just because we can. (hear this in the voice of Forest)
Well since you liked my post, the next time you buy some extra APs that you just want to throw away, can you throw them in my direction? :yay:<-- That's me jumping to catch them. I promise I will take great care of them!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter